Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: run for the money-- and other pilot questions  (Read 3974 times)

toetyper

run for the money-- and other pilot questions
« on: July 08, 2012, 08:45:42 PM »
heres the unsold 1988 reg grundy pilot 'run for the money'

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQQVYTLTnU0&feature=relmfu[/media]

when  shooting an not-for-air pilot  are the producers allowed to manipulate the game?  Give a contestant answers etc,   or do S&P still apply

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 09:08:07 PM »
No money is paid out, ergo S&P couldn't give a crap.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 09:28:53 PM »
Isn't that how a lot of pilots are conducted anyway, being very staged like that?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

gameshowcrazy

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 09:50:58 PM »
Of course they're staged--the producer wants to SELL the show.

Yeah, a Who Wants to be a Millionaire pilot where some schmuck sits there pondering over

What color is the sky?

A.  Blue                B.  Puse
C.  Putrid             D.  Pink with purple polka-dots

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 09:53:45 PM »
Of course they're staged--the producer wants to SELL the show.

Yeah, a Who Wants to be a Millionaire pilot where some schmuck sits there pondering over

What color is the sky?

A.  Blue                B.  Puse
C.  Putrid             D.  Pink with purple polka-dots

Well, that's obvious. It's pink with purple polka-dots. Everybody knows that.

(BTW, you spell it "puce" for B. :))
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2012, 11:02:40 PM »
This question gets asked and answered a lot, and I always feel I need to add that while producers certainly are able to manipulate the game in order to provide an exciting tape to show buyers, that doesn't mean every pilot you see is faked.  Some are played straight, and are sold based on the strength of a solid game and presentation. Others might not be rigged, but might do something like play a legit bonus round a few extra times until somebody wins.  But yeah, the bottom line is that there aren't really rules governing a pilot the same as for a regular series.  GSN even put up a disclaimer back when they used to air the occasional pilot.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 11:03:12 PM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 01:25:48 AM »
I find it interesting that on the two Card Sharks pilots, one bonus round ends in a complete bust and the other ends in the top prize $28,800 win.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Bryce L.

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2012, 02:03:11 PM »
Obviously, since pilots are not "regular" episodes of a show, the contestants don't receive what is announced for winnings, I'm assuming... if so, what DO they receive, if anything, for their participation in the pilot?

tvwxman

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2012, 02:07:28 PM »
Obviously, since pilots are not "regular" episodes of a show, the contestants don't receive what is announced for winnings, I'm assuming... if so, what DO they receive, if anything, for their participation in the pilot?
Usually, small amounts of money. A paid fee.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

snowpeck

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2012, 10:59:20 PM »

I would imagine they'd get paid "scale," whatever that happened to be at the given time.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2012, 11:22:48 PM »
I would imagine they'd get paid "scale," whatever that happened to be at the given time.
I doubt it's even that, because I would guess most of the time they're not union.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jumpondees

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2012, 11:37:43 PM »

From what I have read and heard over the years, compensation varies.  Sometimes it could be a small appearance fee, some small left over or unclaimed prizes from a another of the producer's currently airing shows, or nothing at all (just being involved in a television production is almost prize enough, IMO).  Most times often then not, if a pilot is being shot on the uber-cheap, a producer may just use friends and family.

One of the better offers I heard about not too long ago when Fox commissioned a pilot of The Chase, the producers disclosed up front that participants would not win any prize money, but they did get a free trip to London to tape the pilot and $1000 in pocket money.  Made me kick myself that I didn't get a Passport just for the sake of having one.

BrandonFG

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2012, 11:52:13 PM »
I remember a few years ago, right after I got back from a trip to L.A., a company offered $400 or 500 for a pilot. I was pretty bummed, as I would've loved to have done a pilot. The money would've been icing on the cake.

IIRC, the NYC "Pyramid" pilot paid, didn't it? I remember being bummed about not being chosen for a number of reasons, but can't recall if compensation was one.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!