Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New book: "The Final Four of Everything"  (Read 2676 times)

Adam Nedeff

New book: "The Final Four of Everything"
« on: May 07, 2009, 05:26:16 PM »
PLUG ALERT!

Now on bookshelves everywhere is a book called "The Final Four of Everything," a collection of tournament brackets and winners for every category from Celebrity Mug Shots to Jewish Baseball Players. Tournament #112 in the book is Game Show Hosts, featuring no less than four photos provided by the author of this post. I get absolutely no money for this, but I'm plugging it anyway because I've never had my name in tiny tiny print in an index before. Kinda cool.

chad1m

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 05:51:58 PM »
What exactly determines who/what qualifies in these final fours? It's a nifty idea, no doubt, just curious how what fits in where.

Adam Nedeff

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 06:00:58 PM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'215201\' date=\'May 7 2009, 04:51 PM\']What exactly determines who/what qualifies in these final fours? It's a nifty idea, no doubt, just curious how what fits in where.[/quote]
I wasn't involved beyond providing the photos, but I'm guessing the thumb, the index finger, and a coin came into play at some point. :-)

Seriously, though, it's the decision of the authors and editors. No votes online or anything.

calliaume

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 06:25:09 PM »
[quote name=\'Adam Nedeff\' post=\'215197\' date=\'May 7 2009, 04:26 PM\']I'm plugging it anyway because I've never had my name in tiny tiny print in an index before. Kinda cool.[/quote]
You get used to it after awhile.

Seriously, glad you got in a book you liked.  I'm still embarrassed about being listed in the acknowledgments of this classic.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 06:26:42 PM by calliaume »

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 09:00:07 PM »
[quote name=\'calliaume\' post=\'215205\' date=\'May 7 2009, 06:25 PM\']You get used to it after awhile.[/quote]
Heck, it hasn't gotten old for me.  I think I'm in six (including the EOTVGS), plus the rules sheet for Endless Games' What's My Line.  I get a kick out of it every time, though I don't recall getting so much as a free book out of any of them.

Mine are mostly esoteric niche stuff, though, and Adam's sounds like a mainstream deal.  Go, Nedeff!
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

DrBear

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 09:19:56 PM »
I've never managed that level of fame, although I did give a back cover blurb to a book about Green Bay football history.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

steveleb

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2009, 02:22:25 PM »
[quote name=\'Adam Nedeff\' post=\'215197\' date=\'May 7 2009, 02:26 PM\']PLUG ALERT!

Now on bookshelves everywhere is a book called "The Final Four of Everything," a collection of tournament brackets and winners for every category from Celebrity Mug Shots to Jewish Baseball Players. Tournament #112 in the book is Game Show Hosts, featuring no less than four photos provided by the author of this post. I get absolutely no money for this, but I'm plugging it anyway because I've never had my name in tiny tiny print in an index before. Kinda cool.[/quote]

PLUG ALERT--THE SEQUEL!!

Being a game show geek of some repute, as well as being an industry insider who actually went to the same high school as one of the authors, I was fortunate enough to be the author of the Game Show Host bracket.  It was encouraged to be completely arbitrary, although a great deal of thought and planning did go into the selection of the first 32.  I relied upon both expert and laypersons' opinions (including my wife--and those of you who are married can understand that inclusion!!) for the selections and the ultimate winner.  I realize there will be great debate, and probably even a few snarks, about my choices, and I welcome and respect any contrary opinions that might be offered--so long as we all respect that all opinions are not gospel.   Adam, thanks for the pix--they made the bracket even more enjoyable!!   Bottom line--buy the book on Amazon.com or go to www.bracketsmackdown.com to create and print out your own bracket!!.  

Enjoy...and may the great debate begin...

SL

P.S.:  My wife's vote to win was Bert Convy...we at least nipped THAT in the bud!!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2009, 02:25:43 PM »
[quote name=\'steveleb\' post=\'215916\' date=\'May 16 2009, 11:22 AM\']P.S.:  My wife's vote to win was Bert Convy...we at least nipped THAT in the bud!![/quote]Good on ya. We can let that happen. ;)
Travis L. Eberle