Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Interesting game show photos  (Read 5221 times)

Bob Zager

Interesting game show photos
« on: May 19, 2009, 05:50:33 PM »
I found several photos on eBay, featuring Art James, both on and off the set of the 3 W's!  The first link below is in celebration of the programs second anniversary:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Orig-1971-NBC-Photo-Ar...3DLVI%26ps%3D54

This next one, is from a special Celebrity Edition:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Art-James-WHO-WHAT-WHE...3DLVI%26ps%3D54

If you look closely, it appears Art James has a mustache, which I DO recall he had very briefly during the show's run.  Also, I recognize Gene Shalit, Polly Bergen, but does anyone know the name of the lady next to Art James (first name "Berry?")

There is also one of Bob Clayton standing in front of the Concentration board, with the rebus puzzle fully revealed (Can you solve it?  I did!):

http://cgi.ebay.com/Orig-1972-NBC-Photo-Bo...%3A1%7C294%3A50

aaron sica

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 05:56:07 PM »
[quote name=\'Bob Zager\' post=\'216098\' date=\'May 19 2009, 05:50 PM\']If you look closely, it appears Art James has a mustache, which I DO recall he had very briefly during the show's run.[/quote]

Interesting.....I wonder if that would have anything to do with Trebek having a mustache for "The Wizard of Odds"..I wonder if it was James's decision to grow a moustache, or if someone *coughcoughLinBolen** had a hand in it..

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 06:17:27 PM »
I take a look at 'stached Art in the picture and I can imagine him saying, as he stares at the middle desk, "What the hell was I thinkin'?"
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

colonial

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 06:35:46 PM »
[quote name=\'Bob Zager\' post=\'216098\' date=\'May 19 2009, 05:50 PM\']If you look closely, it appears Art James has a mustache, which I DO recall he had very briefly during the show's run.  Also, I recognize Gene Shalit, Polly Bergen, but does anyone know the name of the lady next to Art James (first name "Berry?")[/quote]

Could the woman in question be Berry Berenson?

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0073550/

JD

Kniwt

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 06:52:42 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'216103\' date=\'May 19 2009, 03:17 PM\']I take a look at 'stached Art in the picture and I can imagine him saying, as he stares at the middle desk, "What the hell was I thinkin'?"[/quote]

One would hope that he was thinking the same thing about that jacket.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 07:02:41 PM »
[quote name=\'colonial\' post=\'216104\' date=\'May 19 2009, 06:35 PM\']Could the woman in question be Berry Berenson?[/quote]
I"d never heard of her before, but certainly that seems to be the only "Berry" that fits.  I don't see how anybody would have considered her a notable celebrity, though.  If she was there as the "famous" fashion photographer and wife of Anthony Perkins, maybe, provided it was late enough in 1973.  Certainly Brett Somers would have something to say about being on a game show as the spouse of somebody famous, but at least she had TV credits.

Note that the names of the celebrities are written in the margin at the bottom of the photograph, and "Berry Berenson" does seems to be about the right length.  I wonder if our friend Mr. Greenberg remembers.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

GSFan

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 07:05:32 PM »
[quote name=\'Bob Zager\' post=\'216098\' date=\'May 19 2009, 05:50 PM\']Also, I recognize Gene Shalit, Polly Bergen, but does anyone know the name of the lady next to Art James (first name "Berry?")[/quote]

If the name is indeed, Berry, then it must be Berry Berenson, the photographer/actress/model who was killed in the September 11th attacks.  Sister of Marisa Berenson, Wife of Anthony Perkins and Mother of actor Oz Perkins and singer/songwriter Elvis Perkins.
March 26, 2023 - 50 years of Pyramid!

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 07:11:55 PM »
[quote name=\'Kniwt\' post=\'216105\' date=\'May 19 2009, 05:52 PM\'][quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'216103\' date=\'May 19 2009, 03:17 PM\']I take a look at 'stached Art in the picture and I can imagine him saying, as he stares at the middle desk, "What the hell was I thinkin'?"[/quote]

One would hope that he was thinking the same thing about that jacket.
[/quote]

I'm reminded of the onion and the belt.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

aaron sica

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009, 07:35:23 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'216106\' date=\'May 19 2009, 07:02 PM\']Note that the names of the celebrities are written in the margin at the bottom of the photograph, and "Berry Berenson" does seems to be about the right length.  I wonder if our friend Mr. Greenberg remembers.[/quote]

I also wonder if our friend Mr. Greenberg can give a reason for the 'stache too....It's very (at least to me!) intruiging....

mmb5

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2009, 07:35:40 PM »
I found a newspaper article that said it was "NBC's Fall Fashion Festival of Stars" for NBC Daytime (9/24 through 9/28 1973):

Guest celebrities taking part on NBC game shows during fashion week include Polly Bergen, Berry Berenson Perkins, Annette Funicello, Pat Morrow, Kathleen Freeman, Wilt Chamberlain, Jayne Meadows, Steve Allen, Joe Flynn, Gene Shalit, Roddy McDowall, George Maharis and Roosevelt Grier.

Since this was 1973 and we were promised "the latest fall fashion from the nation's best houses", we may actually be thankful for the erased tapes.

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2009, 08:26:18 PM »
[quote name=\'mmb5\' post=\'216113\' date=\'May 19 2009, 07:35 PM\']Since this was 1973 and we were promised "the latest fall fashion from the nation's best houses"[/quote]
Well, that explains the jacket.

[quote name=\'mmb5\' post=\'216113\' date=\'May 19 2009, 07:35 PM\']Polly Bergen, Berry Berenson Perkins, Annette Funicello, Pat Morrow, Kathleen Freeman, Wilt Chamberlain, Jayne Meadows, Steve Allen, Joe Flynn, Gene Shalit, Roddy McDowall, George Maharis and Roosevelt Grier.[/quote]
That's a very interesting list, which includes some names you don't normally think of as doing game shows, much less reasonably challenging Q&A shows.

Good find, Mike.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 08:31:08 PM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

mmb5

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2009, 08:48:27 PM »
It could have been any of the shows on the air at the time.  So they could have been on Baffle, Wizard of Odds or Sqaures.  The Squares list that week according to Dixon Hayes was nothing out of the ordinary: Ernest Borgnine, Rose Marie, McLean Stevenson, Robert Blake, Paul Lynde, Karen Valentine, Charley Weaver, Leslie Uggams and Roddy McDowall.  The only other snippet I can find is that Rex Reed did Jeopardy.
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

tvrandywest

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2009, 09:21:35 PM »
If that chick is "the wife of Anthony Perkins", then we would more aptly be talking about the beard than the moustache!

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 09:22:16 PM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2009, 09:22:55 PM »
TVG says Baffle had Nanette Fabray, Michael Landon, Jan Murray and Barbara Feldon.  TVG doesn't list any celebs on the usually non-celeb shows.  "Three on a Match" was also airing on NBC at the time, so maybe Bill had a fashion show there as well.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2009, 04:03:06 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'216115\' date=\'May 19 2009, 05:26 PM\']That's a very interesting list, which includes some names you don't normally think of as doing game shows, much less reasonably challenging Q&A shows.[/quote]
Certainly I think of Wilt Chamberlain doing...something else.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe