Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Show Taping Schedules  (Read 5405 times)

Gameshowcrackers

Game Show Taping Schedules
« on: May 22, 2009, 02:51:33 AM »
What are the taping schedules for Jeopardy, WOF and the Price Is Right and how far in advance are episodes recorded?

What I'd also like to know is how many episodes are recorded in each session (presumably, it's 5 per day - a weeks worth of shows - for both J! and WOF but how many of the longer 1 hr episodes do Price record in a single day?)

Also, do they tape in 'blocks'? What I mean by this is with shows like J! and WOF do they record say 10 shows (2 weeks worth) over say 2 days, on a fortnightly basis (as in the old days), or is it now taped in more intensive recording sessions - say, 15 weeks worth of episodes over 15 consecutive days.

If it's not taped in more intensive blocks - say a total of only 3 studio sessions per year where they tape 15 weeks worth of episodes over 15 consecutive days at a time - wouldn't it be more cost effective and efficient for them to do it this way?

Hopefully, some of the Inthebiz members will be able to answer this question?
This is Gameshowcrackers speaking for The Game Show Forum, a Mark Goodson Television Production

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 01:02:10 PM »
[quote name=\'Gameshowcrackers\' post=\'216302\' date=\'May 22 2009, 01:51 AM\']What are the taping schedules for Jeopardy, WOF and the Price Is Right and how far in advance are episodes recorded?

What I'd also like to know is how many episodes are recorded in each session (presumably, it's 5 per day - a weeks worth of shows - for both J! and WOF but how many of the longer 1 hr episodes do Price record in a single day?)

Also, do they tape in 'blocks'? What I mean by this is with shows like J! and WOF do they record say 10 shows (2 weeks worth) over say 2 days, on a fortnightly basis (as in the old days), or is it now taped in more intensive recording sessions - say, 15 weeks worth of episodes over 15 consecutive days.

If it's not taped in more intensive blocks - say a total of only 3 studio sessions per year where they tape 15 weeks worth of episodes over 15 consecutive days at a time - wouldn't it be more cost effective and efficient for them to do it this way?[/quote]
For TPiR, go to CBS.com--the taping schedule is there and it'll give you a better idea (since there's no concise, easy answer).

For J!, they do tape five shows in a day but in two shifts (I attened a taping two years ago when they tape three shows in one session, break for lunch then do the other two with a different audience).  I'm realtively sure WoF does it that way as well.  The J! taping I attended in 2007 taped July 18 and aired the week of September 10-14 (the shows I attended aired 9/10, 11 and 12).

The tapings are spread out, so that J! can incorporate recent events into questions if necessary (and WoF can incorporate current fads or whatever as puzzles).
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

cmjb13

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 02:55:42 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'216324\' date=\'May 22 2009, 01:02 PM\']For J!, they do tape five shows in a day but in two shifts (I attened a taping two years ago when they tape three shows in one session, break for lunch then do the other two with a different audience).  I'm realtively sure WoF does it that way as well.[/quote]
The wheel tapings I've attended over the years had 3 shows, break for lunch then 3 shows. So every 5th taping you get another weeks worth of shows. That 6th show would usually be aired out of order.

I know it wasn't on your list, but I know Feud last year did 7 or 8 shows in one day, although that's not the norm.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 02:56:02 PM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

snowpeck

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 03:27:54 PM »
I went to a Jeopardy taping in 2007, and that was definitely how they did it.  Tape three, break for lunch, and then tape two more.  Would have seen Wheel also, but it was on the road that week.  They do tape six at a time though.  If you've ever watched a week of shows where the set is different every day, you're seeing a week made up of those sixth shows.

Greg
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)