Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TPiR Video Problem  (Read 2472 times)

bwood

TPiR Video Problem
« on: May 15, 2009, 11:20:13 AM »
I only get to watch TPiR in "real time" on Fridays when I am off of work. Here in the last week and a half or so when I watch it off of my TiVo about a minute or so into the show during the COD's the video completely drops and the screen goes mute and totally black for about a second or two, then comes right back on. At first I thought it may be a bad cable or something on my end, but this is the only time it ever does it and only during this show. I watched it today as it aired thinking maybe it was a recording problem from my TiVo, but it did it as well. I have not had a chance to watch on my other receiver yet. My CBS station is WBNS out of Columbus, OH and I watch on DirecTV. Does anyone else notice this problem, or also watch on WBNS and notices it as well? I want to make sure it's not my equipment. Thanks!

bscripps

• Button-Pushing Monkey
TPiR Video Problem
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 12:40:12 PM »
[quote name=\'bwood\' post=\'215844\' date=\'May 15 2009, 11:20 AM\']I only get to watch TPiR in "real time" on Fridays when I am off of work. Here in the last week and a half or so when I watch it off of my TiVo about a minute or so into the show during the COD's the video completely drops and the screen goes mute and totally black for about a second or two, then comes right back on. At first I thought it may be a bad cable or something on my end, but this is the only time it ever does it and only during this show. I watched it today as it aired thinking maybe it was a recording problem from my TiVo, but it did it as well. I have not had a chance to watch on my other receiver yet. My CBS station is WBNS out of Columbus, OH and I watch on DirecTV. Does anyone else notice this problem, or also watch on WBNS and notices it as well? I want to make sure it's not my equipment. Thanks![/quote]
No problems here in Cattle Tracks, MI; if you've isolated your TiVo as not being the source of the problem, you might try sending an e-mail to the chief engineer and/or the ops manager at WBNS (looks like there's contact info on their website).
Ben Scripps. Professional button-pushing monkey.

bandit_bobby

TPiR Video Problem
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 01:32:23 PM »
That's happened to me in my area recently.

tvrandywest

TPiR Video Problem
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 05:35:39 PM »
Welcome to the digital age   ;(

Bring back 2" quad videotape!

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

GrandGame1440

TPiR Video Problem
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2009, 03:26:09 AM »
Mine does the exact same thing, on into Y&R even.

bwood

TPiR Video Problem
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 12:41:32 PM »
Checked my other receiver today on the way out the door, it does it too. Went to visit my mother, she was watching TPiR and said hers does it, and it even does it on other shows such as Jeopardy, etc but I've never noticed it because I hardly catch other shows on that channel anymore. I rewound her DVR back and sure enough, in the same exact spot, a cut out and 2 seconds of black. She said when hers does it, it's always 2 minutes into each program, and that's all, just like mine. She has Dish Net though, and not DTV. So, now that I found out for sure it's not the equipment, maybe its time to contact WBNS. It's not a big deal but it gets super annoying. My fiance works for the local cable company, so I'm going to see if she hears any problems about it there.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 12:42:54 PM by bwood »

bscripps

• Button-Pushing Monkey
TPiR Video Problem
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2009, 12:55:32 PM »
[quote name=\'bwood\' post=\'216318\' date=\'May 22 2009, 12:41 PM\']Checked my other receiver today on the way out the door, it does it too. Went to visit my mother, she was watching TPiR and said hers does it, and it even does it on other shows such as Jeopardy, etc but I've never noticed it because I hardly catch other shows on that channel anymore. I rewound her DVR back and sure enough, in the same exact spot, a cut out and 2 seconds of black. She said when hers does it, it's always 2 minutes into each program, and that's all, just like mine. She has Dish Net though, and not DTV. So, now that I found out for sure it's not the equipment, maybe its time to contact WBNS. It's not a big deal but it gets super annoying. My fiance works for the local cable company, so I'm going to see if she hears any problems about it there.[/quote]
One of the biggest hurdles we've been facing at my station is convincing the kids in the newsroom who usually answer the incoming phone calls that we tech folk actually do like talking to people who are having problems, especially with this little digital transition thing coming up.  Since we have no way of actually sampling our own signal from all over the viewing area, we depend heavily on phone calls from people who are having problems so we can get them fixed.  I know that sounds rather stupidly optimistic and p.r.-ish, but it really is true, at least at my station.  Seriously, drop them an e-mail--they may know there's a problem and can tell you what's going on, or they may not know about it.  It's also possible--very possible--that they're seeing the same thing there, but think it's just something in their monitoring and it's not going out like that.  Drop 'em an e-mail and let 'em know--they'll be glad you did...
Ben Scripps. Professional button-pushing monkey.

bwood

TPiR Video Problem
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2009, 02:27:57 PM »
Thanks for the info. I just shot them an email, I'll see what they say. Thanks again.

tvmitch

TPiR Video Problem
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2009, 02:47:15 PM »
I know that at our station, we are having a lot of problems with one certain satellite provider (*cough* that transmits signals via a Dish *cough*) and their ability to send out our signal to their customers properly. Main problem is that viewers' audio drops out every 5 minutes for 2-3 seconds at a time.

I know our tech folks don't want to hear from viewers because it's a problem this certain satellite provider knows is going on but won't fix. Now, other problems, they're all ears, especially from the folks who are trying to get our signal with a standard antenna.
You should follow me on Twitter

bwood

TPiR Video Problem
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2009, 03:03:08 PM »
Just received this email back:

Brandon,

This is a problem with the two dish services that we are working with them on. While the problem resides on their end we are doing everything we can to help them fix it as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

Thank you for writing 10TV Viewer Services

F Willson
Director of Operations
WBNS-10TV
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 03:03:30 PM by bwood »