Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Up Next: Bumpers"  (Read 5136 times)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
"Up Next: Bumpers"
« on: October 29, 2003, 02:41:33 AM »
Hey guys;
I was just wondering what other shows (if any) had bumpers like Scrabble and Guts had going into the commercials.

Thanks...
--Mark
Phil 4:13

sshuffield70

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2003, 10:06:08 AM »
"Talkabout" comes to mind......but the flashing "$2000"  made it look (and actually was) really cheap.

BrandonFG

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2003, 10:50:28 AM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Oct 29 2003, 02:41 AM\'] Hey guys;
I was just wondering what other shows (if any) had bumpers like Scrabble and Guts had going into the commercials.

Thanks... [/quote]
 Sports Challenge, towards the end of its run.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2003, 11:35:04 AM »
"He Said, She Said" had some incredibly cheesy (though appropriate for the time period, I suppose) bumper shots of Holiday Inns and a happy Joe on that silly telephone at his podium that they would use in and out of breaks. Kinda reminded me of the "More To Come..." bumpers they used to use on Carson's Tonight Show.

Also, that God-awful Dick Enberg version of "Perfect Match" had a bumper slide they would go in and out of breaks with, but it was signifiantly more generic, I think in fact it was just the show logo.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

uncamark

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2003, 12:51:38 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Oct 29 2003, 11:35 AM\']"He Said, She Said" had some incredibly cheesy (though appropriate for the time period, I suppose) bumper shots of Holiday Inns and a happy Joe on that silly telephone at his podium that they would use in and out of breaks. Kinda reminded me of the "More To Come..." bumpers they used to use on Carson's Tonight Show.[/quote]
And thanks (I assume) to the Holiday Inn logo, WBBM in Chicago never showed those bumper slides when they aired "He Said She Said"--they always replaced it with a graphic from their print campaign for what they called "The Great Games and Giggles Block" ("The Game Game" and "TTTT" being the other shows)--a cartoon of a wife glaring at her husband's face on a TV monitor (even though she was staring right at the monitor instead of sitting behind, it did look like the artist was given pictures from the show to work from).  I guess that CBS S&P felt that the prize plug, Joe's mentions and the "Presentation" credit at the end was enough.

Of course, we know that it was really Chroma-Key, thanks to Ted Cooper's technical wizardry.  In watching the show again Saturday night after a long time, it looked like Ira Skutch had two cameras backstage--one to take the long shot of the four players (and the flip card or menu board or however they displayed the scores) and one to do the "close-ups" when there was the shot of the onstage player and the "monitor."

Dan Sadro

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2003, 01:19:22 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Oct 29 2003, 11:35 AM\'] "He Said, She Said" had some incredibly cheesy (though appropriate for the time period, I suppose) bumper shots of Holiday Inns and a happy Joe on that silly telephone at his podium that they would use in and out of breaks. Kinda reminded me of the "More To Come..." bumpers they used to use on Carson's Tonight Show. [/quote]
 Yes, I love the "We Shall Return" -- I always laugh when I see that.  Then again, HSSS seemed much more of a tool of Holiday Inn than a game show from Goodson-Todman, so they were wholly appropriate...

American Gladiators always had the "Up Next" bumpers, too.

Pyramid80

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2003, 01:30:30 PM »
If my memory serves me correctly, I think Hot Potato used a bumper that would show the logo and then Celebrity being drawn out.

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2003, 07:36:51 PM »
The earlier episodes of "Hot Potato" would have that logo (sans the "celebrity" part) at the end of the bonus round.

TPiR had (god bless him) Rod saying at the end of the first half, "Stay tuned for the second half, and our showcase. on The Price Is Right!" (it's more of a verbal bumper)

SplitSecond

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2003, 07:54:25 PM »
Well, since we've expanded the field beyond just bumpers that use some variation of "Up Next:"...

Price used to regularly use a still store of a contestant's reaction as a bumper.

The 80's revivals of Card Sharks and Blockbusters often used this bumper: dissolve to a close-up of one contestant, wipe to a close-up of the other contestant.

The generic bumper shot nowadays seems to be some sort of jib shot, but my all-time favorites (no surprise, given my handle) would have to be on Split Second; everything from the camera shooting Tom panning and trucking to get the contestant panel to the crane camera flying over the main game set to get a shot of the cars shows that the direction on this show was ahead of its time.

rugrats1

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2003, 08:50:12 PM »
If my memory serves me correctly, I think Hot Potato used a bumper that would show the logo and then Celebrity being drawn out.

The earlier episodes of "Hot Potato" would have that logo (sans the "celebrity" part) at the end of the bonus round.

Though I think they were used only once per show, generally in the middle -- at the time, all NBC shows display their logos right before the commercial break midway into the show (in the case of hour-long shows: halfway into each 1/2-hour block). This way, stations can display their station logos at the bottom of the screen, if they wish.

ABC had also done something similar.

dickoon

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2003, 09:06:09 PM »
The original Channel 5 version of Fort Boyard in Britain had them, illustrating what games were going to be played in the next segment. It always infuriated me to an irrational extent - part of the fun of lots-of-little-games shows is not knowing what's going to come up next and enjoying the surprises as they are announced. In-show spoiler announcements are an instant way to cuss me bad. (Happily, Challenge ?'s new version of FB does not. CHALLENGE WINS.)

My favouite bumper-like entity credit must go to Interceptor, which is one continuous forty-minute game with no natural breaks in the action within. They simply have a dramatic shot of the action, particularly a long-distance one illustrating a surprise that a contestant is about to receive, then freeze-frame, "end of part one", musical stab, break, musical stab, "part two", unfreeze and go again.

Incidentally, I came mighty close to posting "Hello. I have had a US game show theme running through my head all day. Please someone post a phone number so I can ring you up, sing a bit of it down the 'phone to you and you can tell me what it is", but I finally found it on my computer to solve the mystery. (It was the 1980 To Tell The Truth theme - specifically, all of it from the piccolo part onwards, for what it's worth.)

Grr, arg
Chris

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2003, 09:08:11 PM »
On MGHS hour there was some kind of card with people posing in silhouette on some sort of grid.  What was that supposed to represent?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

uncamark

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2003, 12:38:50 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Oct 29 2003, 09:08 PM\']On MGHS hour there was some kind of card with people posing in silhouette on some sort of grid.  What was that supposed to represent?[/quote]
The only bumper graphic (well, fee plug graphic, but...) on "MG/HSH" that I remember, other than the show logo, was one that looked like Gene Rayburn passing the mike to Bowzer at the mid-point.  Could that be it?

BrandonFG

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2003, 12:45:53 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Oct 30 2003, 12:38 PM\'] [quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Oct 29 2003, 09:08 PM\']On MGHS hour there was some kind of card with people posing in silhouette on some sort of grid.  What was that supposed to represent?[/quote]
The only bumper graphic (well, fee plug graphic, but...) on "MG/HSH" that I remember, other than the show logo, was one that looked like Gene Rayburn passing the mike to Bowzer at the mid-point.  Could that be it? [/quote]
 There was also one with the MG/HS logo written out in yellow, against a blue background, navy at the top, and fading to baby blue, top to bottom.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

ChuckNet

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2003, 06:34:55 PM »

Most of the other NBC daytime games of the mid-80s did that, as well...among them WoF, $otC, Blockbusters '87 and Super Password.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")