Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: College Price is Right  (Read 7008 times)

Jeremy Nelson

College Price is Right
« on: May 25, 2009, 07:56:54 PM »
Next year, my college is putting on a Price is Right production- possibly more in the future depending on audience feedback and budget. But here's the thing- I'm not banking on getting extra shows- I wanna get it right the first time. Right now, I'm looking to you guys for some input. Some of you may have done your own versions in different capacities, and I'd like to know what works and what doesn't, as far as pricing games and formats.

Because we have a budget that's only going to allow for one showcase package, I was trying to decide whether to use the Davidson Range Game Showcase or the Australian "put them in order" format (my favorite of the two). One guy in my department even suggested a format that I can only refer to as "Ultimate Clock Game"- basically having to correctly price every prize in the lot in a set amount of time.

I'd really appreciate the input, guys. Anything to help would be much appreciated.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 07:57:23 PM by rollercoaster87 »
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

tpirfan28

College Price is Right
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 08:02:31 PM »
I would go with the much simpler UK method...select a range, then the contestant makes a bid.  If the difference is less than the range limit and not over, win.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

Jimmy Owen

College Price is Right
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 08:10:54 PM »
You really should not deviate from the tried and true.   Do two showcases even if you have a double showcase winner.  Your college mates have never seen the Aussie version.  Besides if only one showcase is won, you can either return the unwon items or donate them to charity.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Jeremy Nelson

College Price is Right
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 08:24:54 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'216528\' date=\'May 25 2009, 06:10 PM\']You really should not deviate from the tried and true.   Do two showcases even if you have a double showcase winner.  Your college mates have never seen the Aussie version.  Besides if only one showcase is won, you can either return the unwon items or donate them to charity.[/quote]
See, we have enough for two cheaper showcases, but I wanted to do one showcase that everybody would want.

As far as Aussie Price, it's not a complicated format. All I have to say is "place the prizes in order from least expensive to most expensive, and you win the showcase."
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

BrandonFG

College Price is Right
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2009, 08:28:21 PM »
How about just one showcase, but have both contestants write down their answers. Closest without going over wins, and if both go over, then either a) no one wins, or b) have them both rewrite their answers. It deviates a bit, but it's still pretty close to the American format.

Don't ask me what to do in the event of a tie. ;-)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 08:28:55 PM by fostergray82 »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

urbanpreppie05

College Price is Right
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2009, 08:28:42 PM »
You're doing a stage show...a little deviation is allowed, but don't go too far.

We actually had the two winners turn their backs on each other and make secret bids. Highest without going over won. In case of an overbid, repeat.
insert signature here

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
College Price is Right
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2009, 08:34:55 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'216530\' date=\'May 25 2009, 07:28 PM\']How about just one showcase, but have both contestants write down their answers. Closest without going over wins, and if both go over, then either a) no one wins, or b) have them both rewrite their answers. It deviates a bit, but it's still pretty close to the American format.

Don't ask me what to do in the event of a tie. ;-)[/quote]

Steel cage match, of course. :)
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Jimmy Owen

College Price is Right
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2009, 08:35:05 PM »
So I take it only one player competes in the Showcase?  In that case, since there is a good chance it won't be won, use mock-ups of the prizes rather than buying them, that would save $$ on the budget.  If it is won, just give the winner a Wal-Mart or Costco or whatever gift cert. with which he may purchase the prizes.

tvrandywest

College Price is Right
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2009, 08:50:40 PM »
As college is about preparing for "the real world", how about requesting permission from the copyright holder, Fremantle?

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

urbanpreppie05

College Price is Right
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2009, 08:55:36 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' post=\'216535\' date=\'May 25 2009, 08:50 PM\']As college is about preparing for "the real world", how about requesting permission from the copyright holder, Fremantle?

Randy
tvrandywest.com[/quote]

Oh, like that ever works... :-)
insert signature here

pacdude

College Price is Right
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2009, 08:58:05 PM »
My school has done Price is Right for years upon years. Seeing as how no one's making any money off the deal, why bother asking Fremantle anyway? We're not cutting into any of their money-making endeavors.

Steve Gavazzi

College Price is Right
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2009, 09:12:54 PM »
[quote name=\'rollercoaster87\' post=\'216529\' date=\'May 25 2009, 08:24 PM\'][quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'216528\' date=\'May 25 2009, 06:10 PM\']You really should not deviate from the tried and true.   Do two showcases even if you have a double showcase winner.  Your college mates have never seen the Aussie version.  Besides if only one showcase is won, you can either return the unwon items or donate them to charity.[/quote]See, we have enough for two cheaper showcases, but I wanted to do one showcase that everybody would want.

As far as Aussie Price, it's not a complicated format. All I have to say is "place the prizes in order from least expensive to most expensive, and you win the showcase."[/quote]
But it's not the Showcase -- or at least, it isn't to your audience, and they're going to be wondering why you've created this new format that none of them have ever heard of.

If you've got to do just one showcase, have both players make secret bids on it -- it's the alternate format that's closest to the real one, and the one whose differences will be the easiest to explain the reasons for.

Jimmy Owen

College Price is Right
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2009, 09:12:56 PM »
Def. get Fremantle's permission first.

urbanpreppie05

College Price is Right
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2009, 09:28:05 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'216539\' date=\'May 25 2009, 09:12 PM\']Def. get Fremantle's permission first.[/quote]

My only fear with this is that they would pull a sony and not only tell you no, but pull a C&D order preventing you from doing it. OTOH, SOOOO many campuses have done their own pir productions for years, i'm sure they know, and as long as you're not claiming it as your own creation or making money from it, it's probably not a big deal.
insert signature here

HYHYBT

College Price is Right
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2009, 10:46:49 PM »
With the written bids: tell them beforehand that if they *tie* they both lose. That way they'll make odd bids less likely to match.
"If you ask me to repeat this I'm gonna punch you right in the nose" -- Geoff Edwards, Play the Percentages