Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: College Price is Right  (Read 7009 times)

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
College Price is Right
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2009, 10:53:01 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'216538\' date=\'May 25 2009, 09:12 PM\']it's the alternate format that's closest to the real one[/quote]
...without going over? *ducks*

Doesn't TPIR Live use this one showcase, two bids format?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 10:53:14 PM by Joe Mello »
This signature is currently under construction.

urbanpreppie05

College Price is Right
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2009, 10:53:32 PM »
[quote name=\'HYHYBT\' post=\'216544\' date=\'May 25 2009, 10:46 PM\']With the written bids: tell them beforehand that if they *tie* they both lose. That way they'll make odd bids less likely to match.[/quote]

Yeah, THAT will go over well.

Honestly, it's unlikely that anyone will tie. In the event that they do, have another backup bidding prize- like one of the prizes from showcase package.
insert signature here

BrandonFG

College Price is Right
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2009, 11:13:10 PM »
[quote name=\'urbanpreppie05\' post=\'216547\' date=\'May 25 2009, 10:53 PM\']Honestly, it's unlikely that anyone will tie. In the event that they do, have another backup bidding prize- like one of the prizes from showcase package.[/quote]
Then what if THAT'S a tie?! ;-)
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
College Price is Right
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2009, 11:25:22 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'216549\' date=\'May 25 2009, 08:13 PM\']Then what if THAT'S a tie?! ;-)[/quote]
Strength of schedule.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

SamPrainito

College Price is Right
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2009, 11:26:45 PM »
Couple things to add...

I've done my own TPIR show for the American Cancer Society for the last five years.  When I began, on Randy's advice, I called Fremantle's business affairs office and asked about permission.  I was told I could do it as long as I followed two rules: 1) Do not call it "The Price is Right", and 2) Do not personally profit from it.  So I call mine "Game Show Night", and I donate 100% of the gross to ACS.  I don't even take out my expenses.

As for the Showcases, you could do what I've done.  I play it just like the show.  Two showcases, with furniture, cars and trips (all fictional of course), and the Showcase winner gets the "Grand Prize Showcase", consisiting of the real prizes we have  (over $1000 last year).

The quick way to make sure everyone knows that is to have a brief half-sheet disclaimer for contestants to sign as they enter the auditorium and get their nametags.  This way, everyone knows it's for fun and the prizes are fictional, and as the host of the show you can still play it straight, as if you're giving away cars, cash and trips!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 11:27:52 PM by SamPrainito »

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
College Price is Right
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2009, 12:14:27 AM »
Two things to think about.

This was mentioned before, but anything you do to deviate from the format that most people understand is only going to get stares and squints. As much as I love the put-in-order Showcase from Down Under, people just aren't going to "get it". It would be much better to stick as closely as possible to what people know.

The other bit; as much as you want to have people playing for real stuff, I would advise against it. Having someone come up on stage to play Any Number for a spice rack, a packet of Whoppers and the spare change between my couch cushions will be met with groans and eye-rolling. But if you tell people that the big winners will not win the "advertised prizes," but will still win something decent at the end, you'll get people who will get into it. They'll play along and have a good time, even if they're not going to win the luggage, digital camera and trip overseas.
Travis L. Eberle

SamPrainito

College Price is Right
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2009, 12:21:21 AM »
Travis is right!

In my show, we'll play Hole in One (for example) for a car, and should the contestant make the putt, we give them a die-cast model of that car.  And win or lose, every contestant that comes on stage gets something.  People still get into it and jump up and down.

I also agree that you should stick with the version people know.  It was suggested last year that I try the Vegas show format to involve more people, but decided against it, thinking the contestants would find it unfair that they only get to bid once.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 12:29:50 AM by SamPrainito »

urbanpreppie05

College Price is Right
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2009, 12:34:20 AM »
The other bit; as much as you want to have people playing for real stuff, I would advise against it. Having someone come up on stage to play Any Number for a spice rack, a packet of Whoppers and the spare change between my couch cushions will be met with groans and eye-rolling. But if you tell people that the big winners will not win the "advertised prizes," but will still win something decent at the end, you'll get people who will get into it. They'll play along and have a good time, even if they're not going to win the luggage, digital camera and trip overseas.

From personal experience, this is not always the case. For example, we played 3 strikes for a TV, Most expensive for an MP3 player, A T-Shirt, and a Nice portfolio, and Plinko for up to $100 in gift cards. It all depends on the presentation, and getting prizes people actually want to win. (i know that sometimes you can't control donations though). Sometimes if you have your tongue firmly planted in cheek and sorta poking fun at your smaller budget, the audience senses that, and plays along. Just go with the flow.

I'll agree with Travis though. As tres cool as the aussie Pir showcase game is, i don't recommend playing it for your show.
insert signature here

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
College Price is Right
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2009, 12:54:19 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'216550\' date=\'May 25 2009, 11:25 PM\'][quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'216549\' date=\'May 25 2009, 08:13 PM\']Then what if THAT'S a tie?! ;-)[/quote]
Strength of schedule.[/quote]
I lol'd.
This signature is currently under construction.

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
College Price is Right
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2009, 01:52:23 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'216550\' date=\'May 25 2009, 11:25 PM\'][quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'216549\' date=\'May 25 2009, 08:13 PM\']Then what if THAT'S a tie?! ;-)[/quote]
Strength of schedule.
[/quote]

This... is BCS.  Uh... I mean, CBS.

/BCS=BS
//Opening a can of worms?

Jeremy Nelson

College Price is Right
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2009, 02:01:56 AM »
[quote name=\'urbanpreppie05\' post=\'216558\' date=\'May 25 2009, 11:34 PM\']I'll agree with Travis though. As tres cool as the aussie Pir showcase game is, i don't recommend playing it for your show.[/quote]
Because....it's a game of definitions?
/the devil made me do it
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

pacdude

College Price is Right
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2009, 02:38:55 AM »
I've done Price is Right at La Salle University (pictures are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/blender13/set...57614318944638/ ) and here are a few things I've learned.

1) Your audience can figure out when something's different. So, don't use a foreign showcase. Use 1 showcase if you have to, make them both bid in secret, rebid if they're the same.

2) A lot of the time, it's not the kill, it's the thrill of the chase. Just offering the experience to win something ala the people on TV is enough for most people to enjoy themselves.

3) Never underestimate the power of accurate-looking props.

TimK2003

College Price is Right
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2009, 08:52:59 AM »
If Reege can do a round of "Classic Password", then why not do "Classic Price Is Right" for the showcase?  

Do the bidding process that was used on the Cullen version.

Steve Gavazzi

College Price is Right
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2009, 12:08:36 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'216577\' date=\'May 26 2009, 08:52 AM\']If Reege can do a round of "Classic Password", then why not do "Classic Price Is Right" for the showcase?[/quote]
Because this isn't supposed to be a remake, and the Cullen version has been off the air for 44 years.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
College Price is Right
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2009, 03:08:11 PM »
Having someone come up on stage to play Any Number for a spice rack, a packet of Whoppers and the spare change between my couch cushions will be met with groans and eye-rolling
... even if your name IS Drew Carey.