Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: NEW PYRAMID CASTING.  (Read 63845 times)

Matt Ottinger

NEW PYRAMID CASTING.
« Reply #135 on: June 17, 2009, 03:00:30 PM »
[quote name=\'Loogaroo\' post=\'218229\' date=\'Jun 17 2009, 08:24 AM\']Which begs the question - if they're able to fit in the 7-in-30 game now, why did Sony resort to that horrendous 6-in-20 format?[/quote]
Well, a couple of possible reasons.  I believe there is more commercial time built into a syndicated show than a network one, so the Donnymid program may simply have been a little bit shorter.  Still, probably the biggest reason was the most misguided -- change for change's sake.  That producer had shown for years his desire to put his own stamp on the very structure of the game, and even after theoretically learning his lessons from those ill-conceived pilots, it could simply be that he felt he had to tweak something.  

To my mind, the 6-in-20 thing was the biggest flaw of Donnymid.  It has nothing to do with nostalgia and everythign to do with pacing.  Put them on that same steel-girder set, or have them play it in somebody's garage.  The game works in thirty-second chunks.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
NEW PYRAMID CASTING.
« Reply #136 on: June 17, 2009, 03:03:12 PM »
[quote name=\'Game Show Man\' post=\'218227\' date=\'Jun 17 2009, 02:26 AM\']I AM the Master of the Winner's Circle.[/quote]
You DO realize what a completely egotistical statement this is in this company, right?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

chad1m

NEW PYRAMID CASTING.
« Reply #137 on: June 17, 2009, 03:04:28 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'218268\' date=\'Jun 17 2009, 03:00 PM\']To my mind, the 6-in-20 thing was the biggest flaw of Donnymid.[/quote]Well, the writing/judging notwithstanding. The point of the game became to give quick clues, not necessarily informative clues. Was Ed Begley ever on Donnymid? I can't imagine him starting everything off with "And this is a thing..." in that quick environment.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 03:06:19 PM by chad1m »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
NEW PYRAMID CASTING.
« Reply #138 on: June 17, 2009, 03:07:39 PM »
[quote name=\'CarShark\' post=\'218242\' date=\'Jun 17 2009, 08:38 AM\']As someone who prefers more modern things directly contrary to the opinion of everyone else for the sake of being contrary[/quote]
Fixed that for you.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

NEW PYRAMID CASTING.
« Reply #139 on: June 17, 2009, 03:07:56 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'218268\' date=\'Jun 17 2009, 03:00 PM\'][quote name=\'Loogaroo\' post=\'218229\' date=\'Jun 17 2009, 08:24 AM\']Which begs the question - if they're able to fit in the 7-in-30 game now, why did Sony resort to that horrendous 6-in-20 format?[/quote]
Well, a couple of possible reasons.  I believe there is more commercial time built into a syndicated show than a network one, so the Donnymid program may simply have been a little bit shorter.  Still, probably the biggest reason was the most misguided -- change for change's sake.  That producer had shown for years his desire to put his own stamp on the very structure of the game, and even after theoretically learning his lessons from those ill-conceived pilots, it could simply be that he felt he had to tweak something.  

To my mind, the 6-in-20 thing was the biggest flaw of Donnymid.  It has nothing to do with nostalgia and everythign to do with pacing.  Put them on that same steel-girder set, or have them play it in somebody's garage.  The game works in thirty-second chunks.
[/quote]
I've always thought that the daily celebrity format somewhat hurt the 6-in-20. With a different pair every day, you're cramming a week's worth of conversation and show plugs into 22 minutes. I'm thinking had there not been so many plugs, the show could've allowed the extra two minutes of max game time shaved off with the 6-in-20 format. Then again, I can't imagine Dick Clark taking a whole two minutes in the '80s, to ask Abby Dalton or Richard Kline to remind us what time Falcon Crest and Three's Company come on? ;-)

The show could've saved a lot of hassle by just allowing a pair to compete the entire week. It wouldn't have hurt that much in reruns; it surely didn't hurt Hollywood Squares, which aired concurrently.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 03:10:46 PM by fostergray82 »
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

BrandonFG

NEW PYRAMID CASTING.
« Reply #140 on: June 17, 2009, 03:10:05 PM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'218272\' date=\'Jun 17 2009, 03:04 PM\'][quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'218268\' date=\'Jun 17 2009, 03:00 PM\']To my mind, the 6-in-20 thing was the biggest flaw of Donnymid.[/quote]Well, the writing/judging notwithstanding. The point of the game became to give quick clues, not necessarily informative clues. Was Ed Begley ever on Donnymid? I can't imagine him starting everything off with "And this is a thing..." in that quick environment.
[/quote]
Yes...he's one of the celebs buzzed in the Winner's Circle Illegal Clues clip. ;-)
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

tvwxman

NEW PYRAMID CASTING.
« Reply #141 on: June 17, 2009, 04:32:49 PM »
Here's an interesting development for Friday's taping (Wednesday was cancelled)

http://newyork.craigslist.org/que/tfr/1224513782.html

The host for Friday's pilot : Dean Cain - TV's Superman.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

HYHYBT

NEW PYRAMID CASTING.
« Reply #142 on: June 17, 2009, 06:23:23 PM »
Well, there's certainly precedent...
"If you ask me to repeat this I'm gonna punch you right in the nose" -- Geoff Edwards, Play the Percentages

CarbonCpy

NEW PYRAMID CASTING.
« Reply #143 on: June 17, 2009, 08:52:06 PM »
Turns out David Korins Design put the set together for this, and the Newlywed Game and Dating Game projects (click 'about us,' scroll down until you see "Film & TV").
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 08:55:50 PM by CarbonCpy »

CarShark

NEW PYRAMID CASTING.
« Reply #144 on: June 17, 2009, 11:35:54 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'218274\' date=\'Jun 17 2009, 03:07 PM\'][quote name=\'CarShark\' post=\'218242\' date=\'Jun 17 2009, 08:38 AM\']As someone who prefers more modern things directly contrary to the opinion of everyone else for the sake of being contrary[/quote]
Fixed that for you.
[/quote]
Prove it or shut up. Last I checked, this was the Game Show Forum, not the Lemon Shouts Down Those That Disagree With Him Forum. I understand that you'll never change. The two weeks in the Isobooth obviously didn't take, but if you're going to say something so patently inflammatory to hijack yet another thread, at least back it up.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 11:39:50 PM by CarShark »

Bill Neuweiler

NEW PYRAMID CASTING.
« Reply #145 on: June 18, 2009, 02:03:58 AM »
Seeing those pics really got me excited about the show.   Multiply that by 20 when I read they're going back to the classic format.  Is it too soon to try out to be a contestant?  I've totally got my fingers crossed for this one, dean or terry doesn't matter.  Pyramid is on its way back!
<p>I share a birthday with Jack Barry.

BrandonFG

NEW PYRAMID CASTING.
« Reply #146 on: June 18, 2009, 02:52:49 AM »
[quote name=\'Bill Neuweiler\' post=\'218316\' date=\'Jun 18 2009, 02:03 AM\']Is it too soon to try out to be a contestant?[/quote]
Right now, yes. These were just pilots, so right now, CBS hasn't made any definite plans. I'm keeping fingers crossed so I can make that drive to New York. :-)

J.R.

NEW PYRAMID CASTING.
« Reply #147 on: June 18, 2009, 03:59:02 AM »
Regarding the "trilons": Could it be possible that they are actually monitors made to simulate the physical trilon movement? Like the Family Feud "survey board" shown in the Game Show Marathon. Something about the "lighting" on them doesn't look authentic. Not complaining, just musing.

I know the creator was working on a Pyramid sim before GSM requested his services.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 04:05:45 AM by J.R. »
-Joe Raygor

J.R.

NEW PYRAMID CASTING.
« Reply #148 on: June 18, 2009, 04:03:22 AM »
[quote name=\'CarShark\' post=\'218313\' date=\'Jun 17 2009, 10:35 PM\']Last I checked, this was the Game Show Forum, not the Lemon Shouts Down Those That Disagree With Him Forum.[/quote]
This isn't the "CarShark Cries Abused Victim Every Time Someone Disagrees With Him Forum" either.
-Joe Raygor

William A. Padron

NEW PYRAMID CASTING.
« Reply #149 on: June 18, 2009, 08:13:46 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'218268\' date=\'Jun 17 2009, 03:00 PM\'][quote name=\'Loogaroo\' post=\'218229\' date=\'Jun 17 2009, 08:24 AM\']Which begs the question - if they're able to fit in the 7-in-30 game now, why did Sony resort to that horrendous 6-in-20 format?[/quote]

[/quote]

Yeah, if you timed any episode of Donnymid without the commercials, it comes to about 19-20 minutes in program length.  I agree it was the commercial factor that Sony decided to have the 6-in-20 format, being it was a syndicated show.

However, in the UK version, and with Osmond as host, it went back to the 7-in-30 format.  You're right, Matt, the front game worked better in that way you said because the teams could have a little breathing room while playing as the clock ticks away.
[Take The "A" Train]