Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Reviews of the 2009 Game Show Awards  (Read 6051 times)

bwood

Reviews of the 2009 Game Show Awards
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2009, 02:18:50 AM »
I wasn't impressed but I think they did OK with what they had to work with. Nice little change of pace for GSN. I enjoyed the opening bit with Howie and Ezekiel. Also, count me in the "what will the do if they do it again" parade, because I can't think of very many things. My fiance thought it was funny because I was calling winners before they were announced based on the people/stars present in the audience.

/"Honey, Jeff Foxworthy is there for some reason, trust me."
/Best Game Show?....ahh, nuts.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 02:21:30 AM by bwood »

tvmitch

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2009, 09:12:52 AM »
Well, I didn't watch much of the Awards, but I can tell you that the audio certainly must have been better than the spectacle that was the Tony Awards last night.
You should follow me on Twitter

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2009, 09:25:20 AM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' post=\'217461\' date=\'Jun 8 2009, 12:36 AM\']How did TV Land pull off doing this sort of thing more than once?[/quote]
Couple obvious things.  There are a lot more classic TV shows in general than there are classic game shows, so they have a larger pool of shows to draw from.  And all those shows have multiple celebrities, so your talent pool is larger as well.

Effectively, a lot of what the Game Show Awards was trying to do is what we tried to do each year with the Game Show Congress.  And we couldn't sustain it for a couple hundred people in a hotel conference room.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

TimK2003

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2009, 09:35:37 AM »
If anything, if GSN were to do this awards trainwreck again, they should model it more after a Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction ceremony.

Induct one or two people or shows into one of several categories, provide a 3 or 4 minute piece on the story behind the inductee, then have a short acceptance speech...

..Then at the end of the show, all of the inductees grab some musical instruments and have a jam session!! :)

Hey, it couldn't be much worse than what they aired, and I think that it would be more respected by the industry & the fans of game shows as well.

From what I have heard, the awards ceremony was about as "serious" as the Golden Pyramid Awards or the Green Ball Awards that GSN did several years back.  The genre deserves better!!!

Tony Peters

• Here is your first subject. GO!
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2009, 12:10:32 PM »
This, along with the reported repeating/missing acts within shows and the bad-looking results of the Time Machine, sure seems to be another piece of evidence that GSN is a less-than-professional operation.

If this is what the vanguard of the game show genre has come to, I have little to no hope of game shows ever being great again.

\I wish I knew how to quit this board
\\the classics will always live within my being
\\\fortunately I have other interests/hobbies/distractions/duties/responsibilities
Sometimes I find myself missing the days when cats ruled the internet...