Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Backtimed" Themes  (Read 11625 times)

ActualRetailMike

"Backtimed" Themes
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2009, 10:12:11 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'218383\' date=\'Jun 18 2009, 07:53 PM\']which bugs you more - never hearing the end of a theme; or never hearing the beginning?[/quote]

Usually the end.  Though here's a twist: for years, I would try desperately to hear the end of the Hollywood Squares theme.  Now, it's not hearing that piccolo strain in the middle that bugs me.

Regarding the original thread, did the Jim Perry Sale of the Century have a backtimed closing theme?  Or did they use a different piece of music for their "Reg Grundy Production" signature.

TimK2003

"Backtimed" Themes
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2009, 09:07:56 AM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'218383\' date=\'Jun 18 2009, 06:53 PM\']I guess this thread begs another question:

which bugs you more - never hearing the end of a theme; or never hearing the beginning?[/quote]

For me, it was a treat to hear more of the ending when they had to stretch or do the long credit roll.  You would always hope that they'd reach the end of the theme.  

I always disliked the later Bob Stewart shows (or was it the Bob Cobert compositions, since it would happen on Blockbusters as well???) for the fact that they would always "restart" the themes as soon as they would come back from the promotional considerations.

dale_grass

"Backtimed" Themes
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2009, 10:54:44 AM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'218383\' date=\'Jun 18 2009, 06:53 PM\']I guess this thread begs another question:[/quote]
Don't make me stand behind my lectern and explain what "begging the question" really means, goldarnit.

Don Howard

"Backtimed" Themes
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2009, 12:24:39 PM »
[quote name=\'ActualRetailMike\' post=\'218409\' date=\'Jun 18 2009, 10:12 PM\']did the Jim Perry Sale of the Century have a backtimed closing theme?  Or did they use a different piece of music for their "Reg Grundy Production" signature.[/quote]
It was a different piece of music. It came in at different points in the song depending on the length of the credits.
Burst in with a thud it did while Jay Stewart or Don Morrow was informing the waiting world that the preceding was a Reg Grundy Production.
Likewise, this was the practice on Scrabble and on Bruce Forsyth's Hot Streak.
Then, sometimes, they'd rejoin the program's theme in progress for a few seconds if time allowed.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 12:25:02 PM by Don Howard »

BrandonFG

"Backtimed" Themes
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2009, 03:11:08 PM »
[quote name=\'ActualRetailMike\' post=\'218409\' date=\'Jun 18 2009, 10:12 PM\']Regarding the original thread, did the Jim Perry Sale of the Century have a backtimed closing theme?  Or did they use a different piece of music for their "Reg Grundy Production" signature.[/quote]
No on the backtiming, and they used the standard RG fanfare during the closing.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Ian Wallis

"Backtimed" Themes
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2009, 07:13:03 PM »
For me, it was a treat to hear more of the ending when they had to stretch or do the long credit roll. You would always hope that they'd reach the end of the theme.

I liked that too - unfortunately it didn't happen often enough!

I always disliked the later Bob Stewart shows (or was it the Bob Cobert compositions, since it would happen on Blockbusters as well???) for the fact that they would always "restart" the themes as soon as they would come back from the promotional considerations.

I wonder who would have made the decision to do that - the music supervisor, or the producer/director?  FWIW, there was an episode of Blockbusters where they didn't restart - it was part way through the 20-win streak of the mother-daughter team.  I remember seeing it on GSN and was surprised that they let the whole them play through.  It was long credit day that day too.  If they did it once, why couldn't they have done it more often?

I always liked it when the music supervisors cued up some of the music to different spots - sometimes you'd get to hear a different part of the theme.  Even better when they forgot to recue the cart and it played through to the end - that didn't happen often enough either!
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

BrandonFG

"Backtimed" Themes
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2009, 08:01:56 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'218947\' date=\'Jun 24 2009, 07:13 PM\']I wonder who would have made the decision to do that - the music supervisor, or the producer/director?  FWIW, there was an episode of Blockbusters where they didn't restart - it was part way through the 20-win streak of the mother-daughter team.  I remember seeing it on GSN and was surprised that they let the whole them play through.  It was long credit day that day too.  If they did it once, why couldn't they have done it more often?[/quote]
That was the one thing that annoyed me about the first season of 80s Pyramid. I always wanted to hear that sweet bass part towards the end, and would be disappointed when it would cut back to the beginning before hitting that part of the theme.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Jimmy Owen

"Backtimed" Themes
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2009, 09:18:06 PM »
One of the cool things about the game show checkerboards of the '70's was that since every show was once (or twice) a week, you'd usually get a full credit roll and hear more of the theme on each show.  I didn't know the respective themes had an end until I saw James "Price" and Cullen "Pyramid."

Another thing I remember on "The Big Showdown" was that very occassionaly the closing theme would end and the music would segue to the slightly slower main theme.  On those days, you knew you'd see the full credits (and hear an ABC announcer promoting that night's "Barney Miller.)
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

ChuckNet

"Backtimed" Themes
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2009, 01:27:23 AM »
I always liked it when the music supervisors cued up some of the music to different spots - sometimes you'd get to hear a different part of the theme. Even better when they forgot to recue the cart and it played through to the end - that didn't happen often enough either!

It happened once on a 1979 syndie FF...as luck would have it, there was a full credit roll that day, so the theme almost reached the end, something that hadn't happened since they started looping the first part of the theme after the first week.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

Mr. Bill

"Backtimed" Themes
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2009, 04:26:45 AM »
[quote name=\'GrandMasterGalvatron\' post=\'218190\' date=\'Jun 16 2009, 08:49 PM\']Ouicksilver and Free 4 All both did this IIRC.

If Merv Griffin's Crosswords hasn't been mentioned, that's one as well.[/quote]
Except for the first few weeks!  The earliest shows were not backtimed nor were they restarted after the commercial plugs.  As a result, we ended up hearing just last few seconds of the middle section, and the last part repeated until the show ended.  On full-credit days that meant maybe 2 to 3 repeats of the last part.

Bill
« Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 04:29:01 AM by Mr. Bill »

Don Howard

"Backtimed" Themes
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2009, 11:20:13 AM »
USA's version of Chain Reaction had the chance to make it to the end several times but those plans went down the ewtrou as they'd start the theme somewhere in the middle, get near the end, then re-start near the middle again....multiple times. I remember thinking, "Aw! Why?"
1989-90 Jackpot! pulled that re-start jazz, too.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 11:21:02 AM by Don Howard »

aaron sica

"Backtimed" Themes
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2009, 03:28:59 PM »
I never heard the entire theme for $25K/$100K Pyramid until I heard it on Davidson's version....I honestly thought it was a new part added to the theme, the first time I heard it (the section at the very end, before it starts over).

TimK2003

"Backtimed" Themes
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2009, 03:55:26 PM »
It always sounded that Marshall's Hollywood Squares theme (the one that made it to the game show cd) was backtimed so when the credit roll was over, they were always at the part of the the theme when the vocalists first started to sing the da-da-da's, even though they were never at the end.

davemackey

"Backtimed" Themes
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2009, 07:27:49 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'219386\' date=\'Jul 3 2009, 03:55 PM\']It always sounded that Marshall's Hollywood Squares theme (the one that made it to the game show cd) was backtimed so when the credit roll was over, they were always at the part of the the theme when the vocalists first started to sing the da-da-da's, even though they were never at the end.[/quote]
No, HS was never backtimed. Always started from the beginning, whichever theme they were using.

Ian Wallis

"Backtimed" Themes
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2009, 11:53:46 AM »
No, HS was never backtimed. Always started from the beginning, whichever theme they were using.

You're right about that, but there several episodes in the mid-late '70s where it did reach its conclusion.  I also remember a Secret Square game where it was cued to the wrong spot during the prize description and it reached the conclusion there too.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!