Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Backtimed" Themes  (Read 11626 times)

ActualRetailMike

"Backtimed" Themes
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2009, 04:23:48 PM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' post=\'219425\' date=\'Jul 3 2009, 07:27 PM\']HS was never backtimed. Always started from the beginning, whichever theme they were using.[/quote]
I'll have to agree.  As someone who used to hover over the HS closing credits like a hawk, in hopes of hearing the end of the theme music, only once did I ever hear the modified "da da da" with the vocals on TV.  This was because they cued the music that time so they only played the first/original "da da da" part once instead of the usual two times, and I knew I was in for something good when they were already into the keyboard part when the onscreen text message came on (this is that message that appeared against a steady background; not sure if it was the infamous "bluff answers" disclaimer, or "The following companies have furnished prizes to the production company...")

Also exactly once, I did in fact hear the "da da da-da da.  Daaaaaaaa..." ending on the show, albeit cut off quickly.  But that time, they somehow managed to avoid both the vocalized "da da da" part and the modified two-measure bridge between the two iterations of the opening strain (i.e., "da-da, hawww, da da-da da-da"; don't you just love onomatopoeia?) which ends in a rapid string of snare drum beats.

Don Howard

"Backtimed" Themes
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2009, 02:15:57 PM »
[quote name=\'ActualRetailMike\' post=\'218409\' date=\'Jun 18 2009, 09:12 PM\']for years, I would try desperately to hear the end of the Hollywood Squares theme.  Now, it's not hearing that piccolo strain in the middle that bugs me.[/quote]
Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere, but for those who may not know, the full second theme to The Hollywood Squares---piccolo strain and all---is at this link: http://www.tvpmm.com/documents/54.html (#3 on the left).

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
"Backtimed" Themes
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2009, 02:22:49 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'230819\' date=\'Nov 18 2009, 02:15 PM\']Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere, but for those who may not know, the full second theme to The Hollywood Squares---piccolo strain and all---is at this link: http://www.tvpmm.com/documents/54.html (#3 on the left).[/quote]

I'm about to lose my job on account of screaming "YES!" repeatedly at the top of my lungs in the office!
@lambertman

davemackey

"Backtimed" Themes
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2009, 02:28:12 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'230819\' date=\'Nov 18 2009, 02:15 PM\'][quote name=\'ActualRetailMike\' post=\'218409\' date=\'Jun 18 2009, 09:12 PM\']for years, I would try desperately to hear the end of the Hollywood Squares theme.  Now, it's not hearing that piccolo strain in the middle that bugs me.[/quote]
Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere, but for those who may not know, the full second theme to The Hollywood Squares---piccolo strain and all---is at this link: http://www.tvpmm.com/documents/54.html (#3 on the left).
[/quote]
Wow. Thanks for the update... has this been posted in the A/V club yet?

TimK2003

"Backtimed" Themes
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2009, 02:37:22 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'230819\' date=\'Nov 18 2009, 12:15 PM\'][quote name=\'ActualRetailMike\' post=\'218409\' date=\'Jun 18 2009, 09:12 PM\']for years, I would try desperately to hear the end of the Hollywood Squares theme.  Now, it's not hearing that piccolo strain in the middle that bugs me.[/quote]
[/quote]

WOW!  Are those tracks clean or what??  Plus this full version doesn't repeat the first 'verse'.  This is yet another early Christmas Gift for all of us on TVPMM.

Also worth noting is the game/match win cue!!

Sounds like there is still some hope for the original "Storybook Squares" theme to surface someday.

Casey Buck

"Backtimed" Themes
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2009, 02:41:26 PM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' post=\'230821\' date=\'Nov 18 2009, 11:28 AM\'][quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'230819\' date=\'Nov 18 2009, 02:15 PM\'][quote name=\'ActualRetailMike\' post=\'218409\' date=\'Jun 18 2009, 09:12 PM\']for years, I would try desperately to hear the end of the Hollywood Squares theme.  Now, it's not hearing that piccolo strain in the middle that bugs me.[/quote]
[/quote]
Wow. Thanks for the update... has this been posted in the A/V club yet?
[/quote]
I just did.

/A theme find like this deserves multiple mentions
//What's next, the Whew music?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 02:43:07 PM by Casey Buck »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
"Backtimed" Themes
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2009, 03:54:32 PM »
[quote name=\'Casey Buck\' post=\'230824\' date=\'Nov 18 2009, 11:41 AM\']//What's next, the Whew music?[/quote]
That sound you would here would be coming directly from my bunk.

/literally
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Ian Wallis

"Backtimed" Themes
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2009, 05:15:32 PM »
//What's next, the Whew music?

That's what I'm hoping for...especially the closing theme please!  :)
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Ian Wallis

"Backtimed" Themes
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2009, 05:18:00 PM »
WOW! Are those tracks clean or what?? Plus this full version doesn't repeat the first 'verse'. This is yet another early Christmas Gift for all of us on TVPMM.

What I can't understand is why they edited the theme in the late '70s in the first place.  I know that sometimes shows will use slightly different music cues to spice things up a bit, but the edit did nothing for it.  It just repeated one section and took out another.  On the GSN CD you can even hear where the edit is.  I don't get it.

Oh well...it's great to hear the full theme...finally!
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

TimK2003

"Backtimed" Themes
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2009, 07:34:01 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'230834\' date=\'Nov 18 2009, 03:18 PM\']
WOW! Are those tracks clean or what?? Plus this full version doesn't repeat the first 'verse'. This is yet another early Christmas Gift for all of us on TVPMM.

What I can't understand is why they edited the theme in the late '70s in the first place.  I know that sometimes shows will use slightly different music cues to spice things up a bit, but the edit did nothing for it.  It just repeated one section and took out another.  On the GSN CD you can even hear where the edit is.  I don't get it.

Oh well...it's great to hear the full theme...finally!
[/quote]

In some of the many episodes I have in my collection, there seemed to be at least 2 "edited" versions of the closing theme -- the one where the first verse is repeated and the piccolo part deleted, and another version in which they extend the keyboard solo a bit.

Now that I think about it more, were the "edited" versions of the theme just heard on the syndicated/nighttime version of the show?  I don't seem to recall hearing the edits in the few daytime versions that I have.

Mr. Matté

"Backtimed" Themes
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2009, 08:52:06 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'230827\' date=\'Nov 18 2009, 03:54 PM\'][quote name=\'Casey Buck\' post=\'230824\' date=\'Nov 18 2009, 11:41 AM\']//What's next, the Whew music?[/quote]
That sound you would here would be coming directly from my bunk.

/literally
[/quote]
Are sure that's just not the gazpacho?

/Hollywood Squares full theme FTW

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
"Backtimed" Themes
« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2009, 02:58:41 AM »
Reminded by the MTV reruns, Remote Control's theme ended when the show did. And some quick observations in lieu of starting a new thread - spotted Don Bleu on the RC wall of "fame," and Steve played something that resembled the 70s WML? theme (to me anyway) for a category called "What's Their Line?"

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

WhammyPower

"Backtimed" Themes
« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2009, 09:30:21 AM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' post=\'230876\' date=\'Nov 19 2009, 01:58 AM\']Reminded by the MTV reruns, Remote Control's theme ended when the show did.[/quote]
I don't think RC's theme was really backtimed.  It sounds very much like an 8-bar loop with the end stuck on whenever they needed it.

/Example from recent YT upload
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 09:32:06 AM by WhammyPower »

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
"Backtimed" Themes
« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2009, 11:39:26 PM »
[quote name=\'WhammyPower\' post=\'230890\' date=\'Nov 19 2009, 09:30 AM\']I don't think RC's theme was really backtimed.  It sounds very much like an 8-bar loop with the end stuck on whenever they needed it.[/quote]

The first theme for GSN's Lingo seemed to be the same way: it was a simple 8-bar pattern that was basically the same melody twice, but with a slight variation the second time, followed by the first half of the 8-bar melody in a higher key (and possibly looped as well), then the fanfare tacked on at the end.

Speaking of backtiming, how did Trebek Jeopardy! handle its first theme? The full theme has the main melody in F, A-flat, B, down to D, back up to F, then back to A-flat, with the last three notes and the "dum dum" ending. (Both A-flat portions and the D portion were on sax.) I have seen a couple early eps online, and I don't remember the B or D portions playing during the credits.
Bobby Peacock

JakeT

"Backtimed" Themes
« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2009, 04:56:13 AM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'230841\' date=\'Nov 18 2009, 06:34 PM\'][quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'230834\' date=\'Nov 18 2009, 03:18 PM\']

[/quote]

In some of the many episodes I have in my collection, there seemed to be at least 2 "edited" versions of the closing theme -- the one where the first verse is repeated and the piccolo part deleted, and another version in which they extend the keyboard solo a bit.

Now that I think about it more, were the "edited" versions of the theme just heard on the syndicated/nighttime version of the show?  I don't seem to recall hearing the edits in the few daytime versions that I have.
[/quote]

***Sorry for not addressing this matter sooner...though it has taken nearly a month to respond to this, those who know me well are aware of the less-than-timely way I seem to handle correspondence these days...in fact, this one might qualify as "swift" in comparison to other emails and messages I've eventually completed...buuuuut anyway...***

While doing research for this reply, I found that there may be more random edits out there than I (or probably most others) was aware of.  When reviewing episodes currently available on Hulu, I discovered at least two episodes in which the first verse was repeated while the piccolo part remained intact.  And there is also the piccolo-free edit that appeared on the GSN CD that differed from the choppy on-air edit many hardcore fans were aware of.  Let me clear up the mystery regarding at least ONE of the edits that are now out there.

During the production of GSN's second CD of game show themes, I was working as closely as possible with the project guy at Varese.  For those of us "fans" who were providing any sort of input into this volume, it was agreed that we wanted this CD to include as much rare hard-to-find material as possible.  Of course, that made finding source material difficult at best and even when locating source material, finding it in good enough condition to use on a commercial recording.  Eventually, the Varese rep thought he had obtained all the needed material and sent a CD of the material for me to review.  Good thing he did as there were several mystery tracks misidentified as well-known titles.  Also, a couple of tracks that were supplied were much shorter versions than we had hoped for so I requested he approach the source he obtained them from and try to get the longer versions instead (he was only somewhat successful).  

My greatest input, however, came into play with themes we'd received with multiple cues (generally opening and closing themes), such as "Let's Make A Deal" and "Split Second".  Rather than just use one cue out of the assortment we received, I did my best to provide time cues/edit points in an effort to combine as many of the openings and closings as possible into one continuous track.  For the most part, my instructions were followed but there were a couple of instances where he combined them at different points, resulting in at least one track that makes my hair stand on end every time I hear it.

ANYWAY, it was during this process that I had to make a decision about our copy of "The Hollywood Squares".   At that time, the only version that anyone had unearthed was the one heard mostly in the later syndie episodes that included the notorious missing piccolo edit.  Since most people were probably not aware of that edit, I feared that including the track "as-is" would sound like something had gone wrong during the production of the CD, leading to confused and potentially angry customers.  It was agreed that I would create a cleaner edit that would remove any sudden skips and flow from start to finish as smoothly as possible.  The end result is what eventually was used on the final release.  While it wasn't perfect, I felt it was about as good as we do, removing the phantom jump while retaining the overall integrity of the original theme.  

If you'd like to hear what the source material sounded like prior to my input, the curator of the amazing TVPMM has added it to his site as "Hollywood Squares - 1970 - Closing Theme - Long B".  Enjoy! :)

Jake