Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: My game show fortnight of excitement  (Read 1436 times)

vtown7

My game show fortnight of excitement
« on: June 22, 2009, 12:33:25 PM »
I have had a really fun last couple of weeks with some game show experiences, that I thought the general populous would enjoy hearing.

About 10 days ago I got an email from the Kindergarten teacher at my school, saying she wanted me to come in the last day of school so I could say goodbye to the kids.  I of course accepted, juggled for them, and then she stated that "there was a surprise for me", so sit down.  Imagine my surprise when the tv lights up with her appearance on Just Like Mom from 1980 - which I had asked her about for six years if she could look for it!  Her mom found it by fluke, and she was really excited to show it to me.  She won the game, and just nearly missed out on a trip to Disneyworld.

Last Saturday (or thereabouts) I got an email that I was able to get a ticket to see a taping of Le Banquier, the Quebecoise version of Deal or No Deal.  I hopped on a train on Tuesday to go to Montreal for the day (5 1/2 hours one way).  At 6 pm I was at the TVA studios, and at about 8.20 pm the taping started.  There was one episode taped that evening, and it was a great experience.  I won't spoil the outcome obviously, but there were some funny moments that will probably end up on a blooper special.  Host Julie Synder was in great form for the taping, and as it went pretty long (until 11pm - I had to run to the station to get my overnight bus back to Toronto) she kept in good spirits.  It was quite interesting to see the behind the scenes goings on... such as the models dancing to the techno music during stop downs, and the fact that models have to wait about 90 seconds to let the crew get all the shots before they open the case.  All in all, a great experience.  The episode doesn't have a airdate yet; sometime in the fall I suppose.

The third item arrived in an email.  Last week, in anticipation for my European vacation, I decided to apply for some shows.  Countdown was the first that popped into mind.  This past Thursday I logged on to find an email from one of the countdown research staff.  I expected it to be a "thanks, but we only take UK residents"; in fact, quite the opposite!  The researcher wanted to do a phone interview with me!

That interview took place about 2 hours ago, composed of several letters, numbers and conundrums, was pretty tough... but I passed!  I am tentatively booked to tape in early November.

So it's been a pretty good game show fortnight, as you might imagine.

Cheers

Ryan :)

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 01:33:49 PM »
Awesome! Countdown will be an amazing story. I look forward to it!

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

RyanCDN

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 03:22:16 PM »
Ahhh, Just Like Mom . . . a real piece of Canadiana there.  The shows we grew up with.

Well congrats on the news from Countdown, that is awesome.

I remember growing up, how much Birtish TV had an influence on us in Canada.  I certainly remember the numerous childrens programs that aired on TV Ontario that were from the UK.

-Ryan
Ryan
“I’ll give away a Zed.”

irwinsjournal.com

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 02:17:11 PM »
Congratulations on Countdown.  I hadn't even heard of it before a trip to the UK on business back in 2001.  Definitely want to read about your experience.
George in Ellison Park, NY

irwinsjournal.com