Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Fremantle and GSN  (Read 4499 times)

rwalker

Fremantle and GSN
« on: December 21, 2009, 10:50:09 AM »
Might seem farfetched, but a thought occurred to me: Is Fremantle possibly thinking of starting their own GS channel? As ridiculous as it sounds, it's actually a good idea. They own everything they have. They have plenty of libraries available. TPIR 38 years, MG 10 years(give or take the spinoffs included), Family Feud with thousands of episodes, etc.

There has to be a reason they are pulling their libraries off GSN, and this is a possibility.

Your thoughts?

Matt Ottinger

Fremantle and GSN
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 11:04:34 AM »
An entirely new game show channel to compete with a barely-there GSN is a ridiculous notion in today's marketplace, and for all the grief we give the Fremantle brain trust, I have to think they're not that stupid.  Besides, if that was in any way on their radar, why let GSN continue to license some of the most popular properties?

There have been hints that Fremantle may be looking at some other venue for getting their libraries out to the people, but nothing specific as to what that might be.  Some of us have speculated that some from of an on-line service (in the vein of Hulu) might make some sense.  Certainly more sense than a rival cable channel.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

rwalker

Fremantle and GSN
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 11:09:30 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'232636\' date=\'Dec 21 2009, 11:04 AM\']An entirely new game show channel to compete with a barely-there GSN is a ridiculous notion in today's marketplace, and for all the grief we give the Fremantle brain trust, I have to think they're not that stupid.  Besides, if that was in any way on their radar, why let GSN continue to license some of the most popular properties?

There have been hints that Fremantle may be looking at some other venue for getting their libraries out to the people, but nothing specific as to what that might be.  Some of us have speculated that some from of an on-line service (in the vein of Hulu) might make some sense.  Certainly more sense than a rival cable channel.[/quote]

When I meant channel, I was including this possiblity also. Video on demand, especially, would be the way to go. People want to be able to access things on their own schedule and even the DVR seems to be going by the wayside imho.

JakeT

Fremantle and GSN
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 04:28:05 AM »
[quote name=\'rwalker\' post=\'232637\' date=\'Dec 21 2009, 10:09 AM\']Video on demand, especially, would be the way to go. People want to be able to access things on their own schedule and even the DVR seems to be going by the wayside imho.[/quote]

Maybe I'm missing something here (certainly not out of the question) but what would give you the impression that the DVR would seem to be "going by the wayside"?  Personally, I believe that many many people (myself included) find that a DVR (TiVO or similar) has become an absolute necessary component in their everyday TV viewing.  The DVR has changed the viewing habits of so many people in ways that the VCR never could.  While video on-demand is a nice option to have, it account for such a tiny fraction of all the programming currently available and until that percentage of on-demand availability (and reasonable retention times) increases dramtically, I don't see video on-demand overtaking DVRs anytime soon.

Jake

Craig Karlberg

Fremantle and GSN
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2009, 05:12:20 AM »
Let's not forget Discovery/Hasbro's comming up next year.  If anything comes out of it, it'll make GSN look like child's play(no pun intended),  Just looking at GSN's messed up January schedule makes me realize reality never works especially when they tried miserably in 2004.

fishbulb

Fremantle and GSN
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 11:02:20 PM »
[quote name=\'JakeT\' post=\'232731\' date=\'Dec 22 2009, 01:28 AM\'][quote name=\'rwalker\' post=\'232637\' date=\'Dec 21 2009, 10:09 AM\']Video on demand, especially, would be the way to go. People want to be able to access things on their own schedule and even the DVR seems to be going by the wayside imho.[/quote]

Maybe I'm missing something here (certainly not out of the question) but what would give you the impression that the DVR would seem to be "going by the wayside"?  Personally, I believe that many many people (myself included) find that a DVR (TiVO or similar) has become an absolute necessary component in their everyday TV viewing.  The DVR has changed the viewing habits of so many people in ways that the VCR never could.  While video on-demand is a nice option to have, it account for such a tiny fraction of all the programming currently available and until that percentage of on-demand availability (and reasonable retention times) increases dramtically, I don't see video on-demand overtaking DVRs anytime soon.

Jake
[/quote]

I think there's a divide here between people who think of a TV and computer as separate things, and those of us who think they're interchangeable.
The vast majority of people think of them as separate things, and the DVR isn't going anywhere anytime soon.  However, for those of us who've realized that a modern TV makes a great computer monitor, Hulu and the like fill a large part of our TV needs.  Those services certainly make a DVR less appealing if there's a computer hooked to your TV.
Newer TVs are going to be coming out with online abilities, and that might be what kills the DVR.

mmb5

Fremantle and GSN
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, 11:25:06 PM »
I wonder how many people now that DVR penetration is a lot higher truly channel surf anymore.  I know I pretty much have a set list of programs I watch and rarely surf.  And for channels like GSN which probably got a significant portion of their ratings by surfers rather than by people watching a schedule, their ratings have to be looking pretty bad.

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

TimK2003

Fremantle and GSN
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2009, 03:23:14 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'232636\' date=\'Dec 21 2009, 09:04 AM\']An entirely new game show channel to compete with a barely-there GSN is a ridiculous notion in today's marketplace, and for all the grief we give the Fremantle brain trust, I have to think they're not that stupid.  Besides, if that was in any way on their radar, why let GSN continue to license some of the most popular properties?

There have been hints that Fremantle may be looking at some other venue for getting their libraries out to the people, but nothing specific as to what that might be.  Some of us have speculated that some from of an on-line service (in the vein of Hulu) might make some sense.  Certainly more sense than a rival cable channel.[/quote]

Anybody have any info as to whether or not the select Hollywood Squares (Marshall Edition) episodes on Hulu are producing favorable results for the people that are putting HSq out there in the first place?

Regardless, if Fremantle would rerun episodes of old game show episodes in the same type of medium, rotating shows/episodes into and out of the mix from time to time, they'd be getting at least SOME revenue off of them.

BTW, I've noticed that the existing HSq eps on Hulu may be taken off or replaced by other episodes on New Years Day, so catch them while you can!!!
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 03:25:21 PM by TimK2003 »

Vahan_Nisanian

Fremantle and GSN
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2009, 03:32:36 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'232942\' date=\'Dec 24 2009, 04:23 PM\']BTW, I've noticed that the existing HSq eps on Hulu may be taken off or replaced by other episodes on New Years Day, so catch them while you can!!![/quote]

I went to the Hollywood Squares section of Hulu, but I couldn't find that message anywhere.

Side note: If Fremantle ever does something in the same way as Hulu, I'd like to see Sony try the same thing by offering thousands upon thousands of classic game show episodes from their library on a rotating basis.

Just please NO MINISODES!
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 07:31:20 PM by gameshowlover87 »

Vahan_Nisanian

Fremantle and GSN
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2009, 05:01:53 PM »
Earth calling TimK2003:

Where on Hulu's Hollywood Squares page did it say that the episodes may be taken off or replaced by other episodes on New Year's Day?

TimK2003

Fremantle and GSN
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2009, 07:33:14 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowlover87\' post=\'233109\' date=\'Dec 28 2009, 03:01 PM\']Earth calling TimK2003:

Where on Hulu's Hollywood Squares page did it say that the episodes may be taken off or replaced by other episodes on New Year's Day?[/quote]

Mea Culpa...missed a 1...It actually is to remain in hulu until at least NOVEMBER 1, 2010, not January 1.  If you list the shows in your Hulu Queue, any expiration dates will show there -- right before the Airdate (See examples below).

Hollywood Squares: Florence Henderson, Glenn Ford and Tony Ra... (23:46)
   Excerpt   11/01/2010   07/04/1972   Rating starRating starRating starRating starRating star   Public   Open this video in a new popout window

Move to top

Hollywood Squares: Janet Leigh, Shecky Greene and Suzanne Ple... (23:48)
   Excerpt   11/01/2010   06/22/1972   Rating starRating starRating starRating starRating star   Public   Open this video in a new popout window

Move to top

etc...etc...etc...
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 07:33:51 PM by TimK2003 »

Jimmy Owen

Fremantle and GSN
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2009, 08:35:13 PM »
Are you sure 11/01/2010 doesn't mean January 11, 2010?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

inturnaround

Fremantle and GSN
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2009, 09:41:51 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'233124\' date=\'Dec 28 2009, 08:35 PM\']Are you sure 11/01/2010 doesn't mean January 11, 2010?[/quote]

Hulu is an American website, not officially available to those outside the United States. So, it doesn't make sense to use the UK format for dates.
Joe Coughlin     
Human

TimK2003

Fremantle and GSN
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2009, 10:41:32 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'233124\' date=\'Dec 28 2009, 06:35 PM\']Are you sure 11/01/2010 doesn't mean January 11, 2010?[/quote]

Only if the air date would have been listed as 22/6/1972...

Jimmy Owen

Fremantle and GSN
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2009, 01:40:20 AM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'233128\' date=\'Dec 28 2009, 10:41 PM\'][quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'233124\' date=\'Dec 28 2009, 06:35 PM\']Are you sure 11/01/2010 doesn't mean January 11, 2010?[/quote]

Only if the air date would have been listed as 22/6/1972...
[/quote]

I just wanted to see if you were sure. :)
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.