Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A game show clock  (Read 1460 times)

ActualRetailMike

A game show clock
« on: July 05, 2009, 01:15:37 AM »
Many game shows, in my mind, are inextricably tied to the time of day that they aired on network TV.  Suppose you could design a clock whose chimes, on the hour and the half-hour, consisted of GS themes or cues where the show started at that time.  How would you arrange it?

Since I started watching game shows in the 70s, mine would be set up as follows:

10:00 - The Jokers Wild
10:30 - Sale of the Century (Jack Kelly era theme *)
11:00 - Concentration! (Bob Clayton era, sports organ theme)
11:30 - Hollywood Squares
12:00 - Jeopardy! (Art Fleming era theme: "Take Ten")
12:30 - Who, What, or Where game
1:00 - Three on a Match
1:30 - Let's Make a Deal
2:00 - The Newlywed Game (any Chuck Barris theme)
2:30 - The Dating Game (Chuck Barris theme, not the later closing music)
3:00 - The Price is Right (early-70s "Come On Down!" fanfare, though not from the beginning of the show)
3:30 - Match Game '7x
4:00 - TattleTales
4:30 - Family Feud
5:00 - Wheel of Fortune (Chuck Woolery theme)

7:00 - Truth or Consequences
7:30 - Bowling for Dollars
8:00 - What's My Line/To Tell the Truth (not sure what was aired here)

(*) Since no copy of the Sale of the Century theme seems to still exist, we could substitute the 10:30 hour with the 1976 Come on Down! theme from TPiR.  Or Baffle or Gambit.

The 9:00 hour might present a challenge, since I know of no network GS that aired at 9, either AM or PM.  Also the 6:00 hour since it's usually taken over by news.

There was also an hour in prime-time where a different show aired on different weeknights.  I think LMaD was Monday, Hollywood Squares on Tuesday, etc.  I think Beat the Clock was in there somewhere.  Perhaps a really "smart" clock could chime accordingly on different days.

If this were an analog clock, you could have some of the hours depicted by symbols, e.g. a clover-like Dating Game symbol (those things on the walls), a TPiR dollar sign, a "Wild" symbol for TJW, a Goodson-Todman asterisk for any number of shows, etc.

DrBear

A game show clock
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 08:17:11 AM »
Of course, you'd have to set a lot of those back an hour for Central time.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.