Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Howard Stern "tribute" to Rod  (Read 8663 times)

tvrandywest

Howard Stern "tribute" to Rod
« on: October 31, 2003, 02:08:30 PM »
I got this info from a girlfriend who was up for the 6AM hour of LA's time-shifted play of the Stern show. In typical Stern style he reportedly slammed Rod, Bob and others. I'd be disappointed if he didn't; it's his radio personna. Anybody able to add any info?

If you haven't heard, they did a bit on Stern this a.m.
about Bob Barker's 18-second pre-show eulogy to Rod...
apparently Howard thought 18 secs. was not enough
"don't ever hire Bob Barker to do your eulogy!"

He then proceeded to sing a warped tribute to Rod
to the tune of CANDLE IN THE WIND starting with:

"Good-bye, Rod Roddy
you were an announcer on the show...."

Thanks if you can add any info.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: October 31, 2003, 02:09:10 PM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

Skynet74

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2003, 02:33:03 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Oct 31 2003, 02:08 PM\']
If you haven't heard, they did a bit on Stern this a.m.
about Bob Barker's 18-second pre-show eulogy to Rod...
apparently Howard thought 18 secs. was not enough
"don't ever hire Bob Barker to do your eulogy!"
He then proceeded to sing a warped tribute to Rod
to the tune of CANDLE IN THE WIND starting with:
"Good-bye, Rod Roddy
you were an announcer on the show...."

Thanks if you can add any info.

Randy
tvrandywest.com [/quote]

Hey Randy,

Glad to see your return and sorry about the loss of your pal. As you know....we are all feeling it.

I really wish I was awake for Howard this morning. I ended up sleeping in.  That's a funny line from Stern. "don't ever hire Bob Barker to do your eulogy!" LOL. Ya know... he DOES have a point. Not much of a tribute for a guy you worked with for 17 Years. But Hey..... that's just my opinion.

Anyway..... Howards entire show is posted daily in the Stern Binaries Newsgroup. I'll see if I can find it for you.

John

inturnaround

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2003, 03:15:18 PM »
I don't usually listen to the show and this day was no exception. But I found the show and the pertinent exchange happens about 25 minutes into the show and lasted about 5 minutes.

I typed up a transcript. Howard makes a point, but as usual he goes way overboard.

HOWARD: I tell you what. When I die, remind me not to have Bob Barker do my eulogy. We've been talking about the fact that Rod Roddy...

ROBIN: You mean we've been better to Rod Roddy than Bob Barker has?

H:Yeah, we've spent more time on Rod Roddy's death who is the guy who said COME ON DOWN! on TPiR. Bob Barker did a pretaped piece...

R: At the beginning of the show or something?

H: Yeah, it was like 18 seconds long, I clocked it. He should have like come out and spoken from the heart a little bit.

R: Maybe like play a montage of Rod Roddy's best moments?

H: Well, Something. man! I mean, Jesus Christ!, the guy's been on the show for like 20 friggin' years. Why not give him some kind of sendoff? If Baba Booey died, we'd have more to say about him than 18 seconds. Here, I'll play it for you.

<plays audio of Barker tribute...tribute ends "God bless Rod Roddy">

H (in announcer voice): A very special Price is Right...the Life and Times of Rod Roddy

R: Rod Roddy gave his life to that show!

H (announcer voice): Rod Roddy had no family beside the Price is Right family

(regular voice): Bob Barker could have sung a new version of "Candle in the Wind"

(singing) Would've like to have known you but you were just... just a what?

R: Yeah, what was he?

ARTIE:Yeah, Robin suggested a montage..that's nice. Like Roddy yelling out a name. Then another name..

H: Roddy did do some skits and stuff. He pointed to some cars and things.

(singing) Rod Roddy we hardly knew you. You came on the show and you were just a...

Hello, Rod Roddy, you were on the show for many years. You were an announcer and you said Come on Down. Rod Roddy, when I heard you say Come on Down, I knew that you'd be an announcer on the show for many many years

But now you're gone we'll miss you here, in fact, we just got a black guy to replace you So what? My dear old friend, Rod Roddy. When you died, you died with your assistant holding your hand...and one of the models standing next to you.

We would have like to have given you more than 18 seconds mention after 20 years, my old friend Roddy Rod. the way you grabbed the mike. You know no one cared. But what the hell? Fact we've almost forgtten your name, we have a show to do...

But now you're dead...you're so dead. You're deader than a doorknob. Roddy, we'll miss the way you said "Come on Down!"

You died of colon cancer and your breasts had cancer, too. What kind of way is that for a man to die? What cup size were you?

A:See that was way better than Bob Barker's?

H: You're God damn right it was. I mean, I could have cleaned it up a little. So Bob Barker gave him an 18 second write off.

R: Thanks, Bob!

H:Way to go, pal!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2003, 04:24:16 PM by inturnaround »
Joe Coughlin     
Human

Skynet74

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2003, 03:55:02 PM »
"Howard Stern Singing "

But now you're gone we'll miss you here, in fact, we just got a black guy to replace you So what?
---------------------

Awww. Now that's just plain wrong. Not even one mention about Randy??? Hey Randy... you're going to need some sort of schtick for people to remember you better. Rod had colored jackets. Maybe you can do the show in your underwear or something. LOL

John
« Last Edit: October 31, 2003, 03:55:46 PM by Skynet74 »

inturnaround

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2003, 04:01:34 PM »
I just wanted to add that if there is any interest, I can make the audio available.

Did anyone want it?
Joe Coughlin     
Human

Fedya

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2003, 04:06:48 PM »
[quote name=\'Skynet74\' date=\'Oct 31 2003, 03:55 PM\'] "Howard Stern Singing "

But now you're gone we'll miss you here, in fact, we just got a black guy to replace you So what?
---------------------

Awww. Now that's just plain wrong. Not even one mention about Randy??? Hey Randy... you're going to need some sort of schtick for people to remember you better. Rod had colored jackets. Maybe you can do the show in your underwear or something. LOL [/quote]
 Didn't Jay Stewart appear in all sorts of degrading outfits on LMAD?  (I seem to recall GSN have shown episodes with him wearing a giant diaper and dressed as a young girl, but I could be wrong on this.)
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at <a href=\"http://justacineast.blogspot.com/\" target=\"_blank\">http://justacineast.blogspot.com/[/url]

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

MyCapableAssistant

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2003, 04:16:50 PM »
[quote name=\'Skynet74\' date=\'Oct 31 2003, 01:33 PM\'] That's a funny line from Stern. "don't ever hire Bob Barker to do your eulogy!" LOL. Ya know... he DOES have a point. Not much of a tribute for a guy you worked with for 17 Years. But Hey..... that's just my opinion.

John[/quote]
Hmmmm. Perhaps the fact that I'm not that great a
Howard Stern fan plays into the fact why I DON'T
see ANY humor in the quote he made regarding Rod
and the "eulogy" that Barker gave. Howard can be cutting
at times, but I will agree with you John.. he DID have a point..
That eulogy was *awfully* "brief."

When I listened to the clip, I was shocked at its length! I thought,
"my Gosh!!," but then I figured "it was probably done in a very
pronto manner, and they didn't have time to do a LONGER one... But still..."

Skynet74

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2003, 04:20:31 PM »
Here is the Clip from Stern giving tribute to Rod.

http://www.johnchartier.com/howardrod.rm

John
« Last Edit: October 31, 2003, 04:33:49 PM by Skynet74 »

massman1

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2003, 04:38:41 PM »
Let's play "One Away" (sort of....)

"Ladies, do I have at least one nice thing to say about Howard Stern?"

(complete and utter silence.....)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2003, 04:38:58 PM by massman1 »

Skynet74

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2003, 04:41:35 PM »
[quote name=\'massman1\' date=\'Oct 31 2003, 04:38 PM\'] Let's play "One Away" (sort of....)

"Ladies, do I have at least one nice thing to say about Howard Stern?"

(complete and utter silence.....) [/quote]

Yeah..... I have one thing to say. Howard gave Rod a 4 minute 30 second tribute and Bob Barker gave him 28 seconds.

John
« Last Edit: October 31, 2003, 04:42:03 PM by Skynet74 »

uncamark

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2003, 04:45:07 PM »
[quote name=\'Fedya\' date=\'Oct 31 2003, 04:06 PM\']Didn't Jay Stewart appear in all sorts of degrading outfits on LMAD?  (I seem to recall GSN have shown episodes with him wearing a giant diaper and dressed as a young girl, but I could be wrong on this.)[/quote]
You could say that.  I'd say more silly than degrading.  After all, those outfits paid the rent and the car for 14 years.

MyCapableAssistant

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2003, 04:55:11 PM »
[quote name=\'Skynet74\' date=\'Oct 31 2003, 03:20 PM\'] Here is the Clip from Stern giving tribute to Rod.

http://www.johnchartier.com/howardrod.rm

John [/quote]
 Geeze! What am I missing here??? Is this stuff supposed to be
funny???? Sometimes I wonder if Howard Stern has a sensitive
bone in his body... I also wonder how long he's gonna continue
his on-air heartlessness and when it will be that he rubs the wrong
person the wrong way...

inturnaround

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2003, 05:07:10 PM »
[quote name=\'MyCapableAssistant\' date=\'Oct 31 2003, 04:55 PM\']
Geeze! What am I missing here??? Is this stuff supposed to be
funny???? Sometimes I wonder if Howard Stern has a sensitive
bone in his body... I also wonder how long he's gonna continue
his on-air heartlessness and when it will be that he rubs the wrong
person the wrong way...

[/quote]
 It's a swipe at Bob Barker and the tribute, not Rod Roddy, from my perspective.

Trust me, if they didn't like Rod Roddy they could have been much harsher (and have been with other people).
Joe Coughlin     
Human

tvrandywest

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2003, 05:11:05 PM »
Hey, inturnaround...  Thanks for the info, especially so quickly!

For those put-off, Howard is just being the Howard that made him the "king of all media". While I'm sure the initial novelty of his success has long since worn off, it must have been SO sweet after years of radio abuse at the hands of many of the same jerks I worked for. Howard's and my paths crossed at WRNW (after meeting while he toured the studio on a Wednesday or Thursday I was fired on Friday so he could start Monday!). I had my own dealings with many of the suburban New York / Connecticut radio dicks in his book and movie. It's Howard's act, and he's developed it to near perfection. Nothing but kudos from me.

And John... I want NO mention in his bits, ever. I'd SO much rather laugh at others!

Responding to another post in this thread, dear Jay Stewart LOVED the appearances on LMAD. For a true showman there is almost nothing that's "degrading"; it's classic vaudeville, music-hall broad comedy. Johnny and Jay were both wonderful supporting foils for the humor. It's an art in itself that endeared them deeply to their respective hosts.

I might have mentioned this years ago, but again briefly, after his dismissal from "Sale/Century" one of the true gentlemen in town, Don Pitts, was there for Jay. Yes, the same Don Pitts who has helped with Rod - you may have seen quotes from Don in some press. In the late 80s Don gave Jay an opportunity to use his experience and contacts as an agent... it's the job Fred Wostbrock filled after Jay's death.

I was repped by Jay for that period and can tell you how much he LOVED the insanity of those appearances on LMAD. Insane because they required him to be double or triple dressed at the top of the show (layered) to make the fast costume changes. LMAD was taped in real time, and a wardrobe woman would accessorize each costume while Jay was reading copy! It was WILD in the wings, and he loved those years.

While very depressed in his final days, even on the Friday evening before his weekend suicide Jay's eyes lit up and his excitement returned in recounting for me some more of the stories of the great days at "Deal" that he knew I loved to hear. He, Monty and Carol were like close family and the love of the people and experience was one of the great joys in Jay's life up until the end.

Sorry if it seems maudlin, but it's been in the air since Rod's passing. In a few days my mourning must end as Price returns to some busy taping - 8 shows in 8 days. A good friend (Bricon) was first to realize I have a tricky balance to achieve between giving Rod his "props" in a respectful brief eulogy and pumping the happy energy during the first warm-ups since Rod's death.

Thanks for being a giant ear to my stream of semi-conciousness   ;-)

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

Skynet74

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2003, 05:11:09 PM »
As Crazy as you may think this is.... I feel that Rod would of been absolutely fine with the tribute Howard gave to him. I realize people here are going to be particularly sensitive about the situation. However Rod appeared on Geoff Edwards Radio Show a couple of years back. Rod seemed to understand that Howard's schtick is to be outrageous. Rod basicly defended Howard during this interview. So considering that ....... I feel Rod would of been happy that Howard mentioned him and probably would of found his tribute funny.

I've posted a portion of this interview with Rod at the following link

http://www.johnchartier.com/rodgeoff.rm

John