Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Rod tribute by Howard Stern  (Read 5526 times)

Skynet74

Rod tribute by Howard Stern
« on: October 31, 2003, 05:35:03 PM »
Randy started this topic but I wanted to post these files together in a new thread for those who haven't heard it. Howard Stern gave a tribute to Rod Roddy on the show today which basicly pointed out that Bob Barker's tribute of less than 30 seconds was not nearly enough.  Then for You sensitive types who may get outraged at the first sound file,  I have provided a second one where Rod defends Howard Stern. This will show you that Rod understands it's just schtick and it's doubtful he would be upset over Howard's tribute.

So now go listen to these with an open mind and enjoy.

File #1 http://www.johnchartier.com/howardrod.rm

File #2 http://www.johnchartier.com/rodgeoff.rm

John
« Last Edit: October 31, 2003, 05:50:52 PM by Skynet74 »

MyCapableAssistant

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2003, 05:40:01 PM »
[quote name=\'Skynet74\' date=\'Oct 31 2003, 04:35 PM\'] Randy started this topic but I wanted to post these files together in a new thread for those who haven't heard it. Howard Stern gave a tribute Rod Roddy on the show today which basicly pointed out that Bob Barker's tribute of less than 30 seconds was not nearly enough.  Then for You sensitive types who may get outraged at the the first sound file,  I have provided a second one where Rod defends Howard Stern. This will show you that Rod understands it's just schtick and it's doubtful he would be upset over Howard's tribute.

John [/quote]
 LOL

Really, it's all good!  ;-)

Card Shark

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2003, 08:33:20 PM »
[quote name=\'Skynet74\' date=\'Oct 31 2003, 06:35 PM\'] Randy started this topic but I wanted to post these files together in a new thread for those who haven't heard it. Howard Stern gave a tribute to Rod Roddy on the show today which basicly pointed out that Bob Barker's tribute of less than 30 seconds was not nearly enough.  Then for You sensitive types who may get outraged at the first sound file,  I have provided a second one where Rod defends Howard Stern. This will show you that Rod understands it's just schtick and it's doubtful he would be upset over Howard's tribute.

John [/quote]
 I think Howard had a valid point that Rod deserved more than an 18 second tribute. He mentioned that Bob should have said something at the top of the show more in depth, but I guess he doesn't realize that they tape these shows weeks in advance. The song was humorous. I used to hate Howard Stern until I started laughing at what he said. What he does is all an act. When he's off the air, I'm sure he's a regular person like the rest of us. He acts as he does because it brings ratings, which is the whole point of radio. So, you can't take much of what he says seriously.
Adam Strom

Skynet74

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2003, 03:49:40 AM »
[quote name=\'Card Shark\' date=\'Oct 31 2003, 08:33 PM\']
I think Howard had a valid point that Rod deserved more than an 18 second tribute. I'm sure he's a regular person like the rest of us. He acts as he does because it brings ratings, which is the whole point of radio. So, you can't take much of what he says seriously. [/quote]

I've listened to Stern since 1984. After 19 years I've come to this conclusion. Howard acts the same way you would act while hanging out with your best buddy. The only difference is Howard says these things in front of an open Mic. Not a single person here hasn't goofed on others. Not one of us here hasn't talked bad about someone else. You may not like Howard Stern, but at least when you listen.... you are getting the most honest radio you'll ever hear. That's the type of person I can respect. It's the two faced back stabbers that I can do without. They are the ones you have to watch out for.

The tribute Howard did was actually his way of sticking up for Rod by telling us Bob didn't do nearly enough. You must admit that Bob's 18 seconds was kind of an insult. If you combine that with the 20 seconds Johnny Olsen got..... you have a Whopping 38 seconds of tribute time from Bob Barker. For Crying Out Loud I love Bob and everything, but Geeez...... I'm getting a little upset about this. It's making me feel that Bob does not value the staff on the show nearly as much as the fans do. I'm about to say that we give BOB a 52 second tribute when he dies. Maybe they can just stick it in right before the first episode with the new host.    

Damn!

John
« Last Edit: November 01, 2003, 03:54:55 AM by Skynet74 »

DrBear

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2003, 03:58:11 AM »
[quote name=\'Skynet74\' date=\'Nov 1 2003, 03:49 AM\'] Howard acts the same way you would act while hanging out with your best buddy. The only difference is Howard says these things in front of an open Mic.

[/quote]
 Well, I've had my best buddy vomit in front of me ... doesn't mean I want that every day.

The tribute Howard did was actually his way of sticking up for Rod by telling us Bob didn't do nearly enough.

Well, here's another way Stern coulda done it...
"Bob didn't do nearly enough of a tribute to Rod."

Instead, it's nearly-obscene jokes and insults. I have no use for Stern or the company that hires him which ... strangely enough ... is the same one that a guy named Rod Roddy used to work for.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

Skynet74

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2003, 10:51:22 AM »
[quote name=\'DrBear\' date=\'Nov 1 2003, 03:58 AM\']
 [/quote]
  [/QUOTE]
Well, I've had my best buddy vomit in front of me ... doesn't mean I want that every day.

--------------------
 Response:

But it might be funny to listen to on the radio :-)

--------------------
[/QUOTE]

Well, here's another way Stern coulda done it...
"Bob didn't do nearly enough of a tribute to Rod."

Instead, it's nearly-obscene jokes and insults. I have no use for Stern or the company that hires him which ... strangely enough ... is the same one that a guy named Rod Roddy used to work for.

--------------------
 Response:

Well I've been around long enough to know that once someone is against Stern, there is very little chance of swaying their opinion. All I can tell you is that some people are more sensitive than others. I listened to that whole Stern tribute several times and I didn't hear any insults. Maybe you and I have a different meaning of that word.

BTW...... when did CBS become a dirty word? Yes Bob Barker and Howard Stern work for the same company.  Does your quote that you have no use for CBS mean that you don't watch The Price Is Right or any other CBS programming? Did you actually delete the CBS channel from your television set? I kind of think you are being silly now.

Well I have to go. It's 75 degrees at my house today and there is no way in hell that I'm wasting it by sitting on the computer all day. I've pretty much said all I need to on this subject anyway. Now it's just getting boring.

Have a Good Weekend everyone!

John

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2003, 11:29:50 AM »
Well I've been around long enough to know that once someone is against Stern, there is very little chance of swaying their opinion. All I can tell you is that some people are more sensitive than others.
That's not necessarily the only reason people don't like Stern.  I'm just bored by him.  

Yeah, most people seem to have a problem with Stern because he's offensive.  Me, I couldn't care less about the latest taboo he wants to break, I just don't think the schtick is funny.  Maybe it's a midwestern bias, but I happen to believe that the syndicated Bob & Tom show is consistantly a MUCH funnier program because they seem to actually aim for getting laughs rather than just shocks.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2003, 11:36:22 AM »
I grew up at a time when every young man interested in broadcasting thought it was possible to someday host his own network daytime game show. I suspect Howard Stern had the same aspirations, but the market dried up and he had to do radio instead.  Howard and Rod do have one thing in common-they both once announced "Hollywood Squares."
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

DrBear

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2003, 11:40:54 AM »
[quote name=\'Skynet74\' date=\'Nov 1 2003, 10:51 AM\'] BTW...... when did CBS become a dirty word? Yes Bob Barker and Howard Stern work for the same company.  Does your quote that you have no use for CBS mean that you don't watch The Price Is Right or any other CBS programming? Did you actually delete the CBS channel from your television set? I kind of think you are being silly now.
 [/quote]
 OK, my last on this as I seem to be the only one with this opinion...and this is just a response to this part of the comment.

It just seems very strange to me that one part of the corporation would allow one its best-known employees to insult another one of its best-known employees. And I do think CBS/Infinity is showing a lack of taste by having Stern fouling its air.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

uncamark

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2003, 07:38:45 PM »
[quote name=\'DrBear\' date=\'Nov 1 2003, 11:40 AM\']It just seems very strange to me that one part of the corporation would allow one its best-known employees to insult another one of its best-known employees. And I do think CBS/Infinity is showing a lack of taste by having Stern fouling its air.[/quote]
Supposedly, the only thing on the taboo list for Stern is that he can never even mention Karmazin on the air.  At all.  [Angus Deayton]Allegedly.[AD]

ObGameShow:  Baba Booey's done "Squares" a few times.
ObTomBergeron:  As far as I know, Captain Jenks never tried to pull a prank on either "Breakfast Time" or WBZ's "People Are Talking."

Card Shark

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2003, 09:36:29 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Nov 1 2003, 12:36 PM\'] I grew up at a time when every young man interested in broadcasting thought it was possible to someday host his own network daytime game show. I suspect Howard Stern had the same aspirations, but the market dried up and he had to do radio instead.  Howard and Rod do have one thing in common-they both once announced "Hollywood Squares." [/quote]
 When did Howard announce Hollywood Squares?
Adam Strom

zachhoran

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2003, 09:40:08 PM »
[quote name=\'Card Shark\' date=\'Nov 1 2003, 09:36 PM\']
When did Howard announce Hollywood Squares? [/quote]
 Subbed late in Davidson's run for a week.