Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Shows taped outside of NY/LA  (Read 1279 times)

rwalker

Game Shows taped outside of NY/LA
« on: July 29, 2009, 11:48:59 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pay_Cards!

Where the heck would they get a facility big enough for an audience and a set?

Other than Survivor, Amazing Race, etc., what other shows were taped outside the 2 major market areas?

chad1m

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 01:29:19 PM »
[quote name=\'rwalker\' post=\'221384\' date=\'Jul 29 2009, 11:48 AM\']Other than Survivor, Amazing Race, etc., what other shows were taped outside the 2 major market areas?[/quote]Deal or No Deal.

calliaume

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 01:39:32 PM »
[quote name=\'rwalker\' post=\'221384\' date=\'Jul 29 2009, 10:48 AM\']http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pay_Cards!

Where the heck would they get a facility big enough for an audience and a set?

Other than Survivor, Amazing Race, etc., what other shows were taped outside the 2 major market areas?[/quote]
Crosley Field would have done nicely.

Seriously, game shows don't need a lot of space, and this one really didn't.  I was astonished, when I saw a What's My Line? taping at The Ed Sullivan Theater, how small the set actually was relative to the stage.  And the audience could have been 15 or 20 people.

I did a American University-only version of Password in a studio that was about the same size as a rec room in your local church or community center.  We had a five-person table donated by a local station after their news department upgraded its facilities; we dropped a lectern in the middle of the table, and we were ready to roll.  No audience, but there wasn't really a need.  (Even though I hosted and produced the three episodes I could do before going back to Cornell, I never could come up with a satisfactory format that didn't straddle.)

Lots of shows have taped outside NYC and LA.  Matches 'n' Mates, The Diamond Head Game, Beat the Clock 1972-74, and many of the first-run games on USA come immediately to mind.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 01:50:20 PM »
In Cinci, they had a number of regionally syndicated talk shows during that era, like Bob Braun and Paul Dixon, that accomodated good sized audiences.  These were on the Avco stations, as was Phil Donahue in Dayton.  Whether Pay Cards taped there, I'm not certain, but there was studio space available.

Orlando was once a hot-bed of game show production in the late 80's-early 90's.

"Treasure Isle" taped in Florida, and according to the Encyclopedia, Susskind "Supermarket Sweep/Honeymoon Race." moved there as well.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

chad1m

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 01:53:37 PM »
I thought this sounded familiar, and I was right: We've done this before, pretty recently.