Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Script for "Walk A Mile" with Bill Cullen  (Read 1592 times)

robsearson

Script for "Walk A Mile" with Bill Cullen
« on: July 29, 2009, 10:04:04 PM »
I came across a website that appears to be the frontend to a database of documents somehow pertaining to some tobacco-related legal action.  Within the site, I found this page describing a document from an episode of radio show "Walk A Mile" with Bill Cullen recorded Sept 1, 1954:
http://legacy.library.ucsf.edu/tid/jgv03d00

Click one of the "view as..." links near the bottom of the page, and you'll see a copy of the actual document in question -- a detailed script for this episode of the show, complete with somebody's handwritten notes.  Kinda cool.

I didn't do any more searching within this website, but I'd guess there are probably more of these documents in there.

tvrandywest

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 10:17:54 PM »
[quote name=\'robsearson\' post=\'221434\' date=\'Jul 29 2009, 07:04 PM\']I came across a website that appears to be the frontend to a database of documents somehow pertaining to some tobacco-related legal action.  Within the site, I found this page describing a document from an episode of radio show "Walk A Mile" with Bill Cullen recorded Sept 1, 1954:
http://legacy.library.ucsf.edu/tid/jgv03d00

Click one of the "view as..." links near the bottom of the page, and you'll see a copy of the actual document in question -- a detailed script for this episode of the show, complete with somebody's handwritten notes.  Kinda cool.

I didn't do any more searching within this website, but I'd guess there are probably more of these documents in there.[/quote]
Love it!! Some great history. I assume that announcer is the same Jack Clark we knew and loved. Mert Koplin is another notable name. And especially enjoyed the PSA about enemy aircraft potentially bombing America!

Just when we thought our Matt O already had everything Bill Cullen already did (sans Anne!).

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 10:46:14 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' post=\'221436\' date=\'Jul 29 2009, 10:17 PM\']Just when we thought our Matt O already had everything Bill Cullen already did (sans Anne!).[/quote]
Actually, I have some stuff Anne didn't want.  Of course, Fred didn't want it either.  It's not really good stuff.  But I digress...

Rob is right, there are dozens and dozens of Walk a Mile scripts available, all part of that massive tobacco-document storehouse.  They're all pretty redundant after a while, since there aren't any actual questions in them, just the scripted language and structure of the show.  Naturally, that didn't change much from show to show.  Still, since that's one of those shows we don't have complete audio for (just some snippets from Bill's transcription collection), those scripts at least give us an idea of what the show was like.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.