Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: CBS Makes a 'Deal' to Replace 'Guiding Light'  (Read 61361 times)

Don Howard

CBS Makes a 'Deal' to Replace 'Guiding Light'
« Reply #135 on: August 12, 2009, 09:52:41 PM »
[quote name=\'CountdownRound\' post=\'222839\' date=\'Aug 12 2009, 09:43 PM\'][quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'222834\' date=\'Aug 12 2009, 09:22 PM\']Good work, boys. If he was here, you've gone and scared him off now.[/quote]
Oh come now, who doesn't love urbane Simpsons quotes?
[/quote]
I'm certain they go over quite well on The Simpsons Forum.
Meanwhile, with Guiding Light headed over the rainbow, here's a presser about the possible doom of As The World Turns:
http://www.tvsquad.com/2009/08/07/good-new...or-cbs-soaps%2F
Be sure to check out the comments from the faithful who'll never watch CBS again.
And here's potentially interesting information about a major move for an ABC sudser:
http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/Televi...&id=8247876
Indeed, comments follow.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 09:54:17 PM by Don Howard »

BrandonFG

« Reply #136 on: August 12, 2009, 09:56:26 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'222841\' date=\'Aug 12 2009, 09:52 PM\']Be sure to check out the comments from the faithful who'll never watch CBS again.
And here's potentially interesting information about a major move for an ABC sudser:
http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/Televi...&id=8247876
Indeed, comments follow.[/quote]
I don't have the heart (or the patience) to tell these big babies about how television operates, and how a low-rated soap opera is a lose-lose situation for the network.

I'll just call the WAHHHMBULANCE!
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #137 on: August 12, 2009, 11:32:57 PM »
Tell me, are soap fans as looney-toons as game show fans?

Please spare me the effort of reading a soap message forum.

urbanpreppie05

« Reply #138 on: August 12, 2009, 11:52:21 PM »
Much, much worse.
insert signature here

Jay Temple

« Reply #139 on: August 13, 2009, 12:44:28 AM »
especially when there's a news pre-emption
(So I'm told.)
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

BrandonFG

« Reply #140 on: August 13, 2009, 01:09:04 AM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' post=\'222851\' date=\'Aug 13 2009, 12:44 AM\']especially when there's a news pre-emption
(So I'm told.)[/quote]
Oh hell yes, esp. when it's weather-related. Those viewer will let their house get blown away by a tornado before they let One Life to Live get interrupted. Wanna hear an old lady cuss? Pre-empt a soap opera. I actually get a kick out of it. :-)

/Same goes for Oprah
//And The View
///And Wheel and/or Jeopardy!
////And Dancing with the Stars
/////ESPECIALLY Wheel and DWTS
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 01:10:11 AM by fostergray82 »
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

snowpeck

« Reply #141 on: August 13, 2009, 09:49:24 AM »
I've taken many phone calls wondering if we'd be showing various shows at different times because of news pre-emptions... everything from All My Children, to Oprah, to Judge Judy.  People even called wondering if the ABC soaps would be on at a different time because of the Michael Jackson memorial service. (I told them they'd be on tomorrow and no episodes would be skipped.)

My favorite though has to be from the last station I worked at.  Was the first night of the Beijing Olympics.  Someone called infuriated that Jeopardy wasn't on because of the Opening Ceremonies.  When I told him I didn't know if the show that was supposed to be on tonight would be on at a different time, he hung up on me.

Greg
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

Don Howard

« Reply #142 on: August 13, 2009, 10:36:46 AM »
[quote name=\'snowpeck\' post=\'222864\' date=\'Aug 13 2009, 09:49 AM\']People even called wondering if the ABC soaps would be on at a different time because of the Michael Jackson memorial service. (I told them they'd be on tomorrow and no episodes would be skipped.)[/quote]
That's the concession the soaps get that the game shows don't get very often. At least if the serial is dumped, there's the disappointment that the show isn't on that day, but when it returns, it does so with no loss of content. The Price Is Right will usually have its pre-empted show rescheduled since the specific date on which it plays usually doesn't matter. However, during those many years when there'd be games all over network daytime (most of them with returning champions and a good many of them featuring games that straddled), if unexpected special programming broke in and forced the show off the air that day, the pre-empted episode would never be shown.....unless in some cases, it was picked up by Game Show Network many years later.
The big thing about Game Show Network I never understood (I don't know if they still do this or not for I rarely watch the channel these days) is if, for example, Super Password wasn't shown on a particular weekday because of a scheduled special (a marathon of The Newlywed Game shows which looks fun, perhaps), when SP returned the following day, the previous day's show was skipped. But why? The show missed was only one day more outdated the following day than the previous. That made and makes no sense to me.
Plus, daytime dramas are given a big bundle of time to find an audience. If a game show starts off in tank mode, it's probably gone in a few months. And those are the shows which are less expensive to produce!!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 10:37:24 AM by Don Howard »

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
« Reply #143 on: August 13, 2009, 12:15:58 PM »
When I interned at WCYB, I took a call on Saturday afternoon.  It was an old lady, and after I greeted her with my usual "NewsCenter 5",  I hear the following...

"WHERE'S MY BUSCH RACE!!!!"

Apparently, we weren't carrying it on NBC.  I told her to check CW4 (which we ran also).  End of conversation.

/It's not just soaps and games, kiddos...
//Anyone can get upset about anything, apparently

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #144 on: August 13, 2009, 12:52:42 PM »
[quote name=\'NicholasM79\' post=\'222879\' date=\'Aug 13 2009, 09:15 AM\']Apparently, we weren't carrying it on NBC.  I told her to check CW4 (which we ran also).  End of conversation.[/quote]
If she had to turn the knob to the right to get there, she was screwed.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

SteveR

« Reply #145 on: August 13, 2009, 12:54:27 PM »
If ATWT is scrapped, it would seem that would open up a bunch of options on three fronts -- games, soaps and more time returned to the affiliates.

Does it open the door for:

* Pyramid?
* extending Bold & Beautiful to 1 hour?
* moving Y&R off its long-standing 12:30 start time?

I think CBS likes the 12:30 start time since it's a way to counter-program against the 1:00 soaps -- especially All My Children. So, Y&R at 1 and a 60-min B&B at 2 risks losing whatever edge they might have from starting at the :30s.

Could a network game show work at 2 in the afternoon? I think the CBS affiliates would do backflips if you gave them another weekday hour to line their coffers. NBC already ends its network daypart at 2:00 and, here in DC, WRC is doing quite fine with Ellen and Dr Phil as leadins to its 4:00 news.

BTW, just got the e-mail from WUSA -- confirming Let's Make a Deal at 10 a.m. beginning Oct. 5. Dr. Oz will be on at 3:00, leading into The Doctors.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 12:54:50 PM by SteveR »

Sodboy13

« Reply #146 on: August 13, 2009, 12:54:48 PM »
[quote name=\'NicholasM79\' post=\'222879\' date=\'Aug 13 2009, 11:15 AM\']When I interned at WCYB, I took a call on Saturday afternoon.  It was an old lady, and after I greeted her with my usual "NewsCenter 5",  I hear the following...

"WHERE'S MY BUSCH RACE!!!!"[/quote]

"I'm guessing you haven't had one of those in a good twenty years, madam."
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

Don Howard

« Reply #147 on: August 13, 2009, 01:07:56 PM »
[quote name=\'Sodboy13\' post=\'222885\' date=\'Aug 13 2009, 12:54 PM\'][quote name=\'NicholasM79\' post=\'222879\' date=\'Aug 13 2009, 11:15 AM\']When I interned at WCYB, I took a call on Saturday afternoon.  It was an old lady, and after I greeted her with my usual "NewsCenter 5",  I hear the following...
"WHERE'S MY BUSCH RACE!!!!"[/quote]
"I'm guessing you haven't had one of those in a good twenty years, madam."
[/quote]
Nice. Very nice. I'm gonna do for you what I rarely do. I LOL'd. Well played! Approves: http://www.ericasp.com/UserFiles/Image/Fonz.jpg
My favorite of the complaint calls happened one Sunday when the regularly scheduled religious program didn't air on our radio station because the record it was on arrived damaged. When a half hour of hymns were played in lieu of the absent program (with announcements of the pre-emption made), one allegedly blessed practicing Christian dialed up the studio line and let forth an unholy host of obscenities because she wasn't getting her show that week. I had the foresight to record the call and played it for the General Manager and for the Owner. They agreed that I did the right thing by terminating the call by saying, "Thank you for your understanding, ma'am, and may God bless you".
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 01:09:40 PM by Don Howard »

Fedya

« Reply #148 on: August 13, 2009, 01:54:32 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'222853\' date=\'Aug 13 2009, 01:09 AM\'][quote name=\'Jay Temple\' post=\'222851\' date=\'Aug 13 2009, 12:44 AM\']especially when there's a news pre-emption
(So I'm told.)[/quote]
Oh hell yes, esp. when it's weather-related. Those viewer will let their house get blown away by a tornado before they let One Life to Live get interrupted. Wanna hear an old lady cuss? Pre-empt a soap opera. I actually get a kick out of it. :-)[/quote]
And those of us who are tennis fans hate NBC for it.  For years they've been trying to shoehorn French Open and Wimbledon semis on tape delay between Hour #63 of Today and their first soap opera.  And because they insist on starting their broadcast at 10AM in all time zones, you can't see the other semi until at least 4PM ET.
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at <a href=\"http://justacineast.blogspot.com/\" target=\"_blank\">http://justacineast.blogspot.com/[/url]

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #149 on: August 13, 2009, 02:09:07 PM »
[quote name=\'Fedya\' post=\'222892\' date=\'Aug 13 2009, 10:54 AM\']And those of us who are tennis fans hate NBC for it.  For years they've been trying to shoehorn French Open and Wimbledon semis on tape delay between Hour #63 of Today and their first soap opera.  And because they insist on starting their broadcast at 10AM in all time zones, you can't see the other semi until at least 4PM ET.[/quote]
How do you think I'm gonna feel next year when the Winter Olympics are three hours (by car) north of me, and yet I still get to watch everything tape-delayed on The Networks Of NBC? (And I don't even have CBC to bail me out this time. :()
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe