Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: CBS Makes a 'Deal' to Replace 'Guiding Light'  (Read 61364 times)

Ian Wallis

CBS Makes a 'Deal' to Replace 'Guiding Light'
« Reply #150 on: August 13, 2009, 02:24:56 PM »
That's the concession the soaps get that the game shows don't get very often. At least if the serial is dumped, there's the disappointment that the show isn't on that day, but when it returns, it does so with no loss of content. The Price Is Right will usually have its pre-empted show rescheduled since the specific date on which it plays usually doesn't matter. However, during those many years when there'd be games all over network daytime (most of them with returning champions and a good many of them featuring games that straddled), if unexpected special programming broke in and forced the show off the air that day, the pre-empted episode would never be shown.....unless in some cases, it was picked up by Game Show Network many years later.

That's so true, but a lot of it depended on the network.  I liked it when CBS starting saving the episodes for the next day if there was a pre-emtion in the early '70s.  That's why Gene Rayburn never knew what day it was on Match Game 7x; the celebrities rarely changed after the Friday show.

The big thing about Game Show Network I never understood (I don't know if they still do this or not for I rarely watch the channel these days) is if, for example, Super Password wasn't shown on a particular weekday because of a scheduled special (a marathon of The Newlywed Game shows which looks fun, perhaps), when SP returned the following day, the previous day's show was skipped. But why? The show missed was only one day more outdated the following day than the previous. That made and makes no sense to me.

Agree with you there too, but could it be that the special programming was put in place after the schedule was already made?  Rather than have the episode numbers (or whatever GSN uses to identify them) off for a week, they just replace that day's programming.  Kind of sucks...we never got to see a late Oct '72 week of CBS Joker's Wild because of this!
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Pyramid80

« Reply #151 on: August 13, 2009, 02:33:27 PM »
[quote name=\'NicholasM79\' post=\'222879\' date=\'Aug 13 2009, 11:15 AM\']When I interned at WCYB, I took a call on Saturday afternoon.  It was an old lady, and after I greeted her with my usual "NewsCenter 5",  I hear the following...

"WHERE'S MY BUSCH RACE!!!!"

Apparently, we weren't carrying it on NBC.  I told her to check CW4 (which we ran also).  End of conversation.

/It's not just soaps and games, kiddos...
//Anyone can get upset about anything, apparently[/quote]
At least it's people mainly complaining about first run programming.  About 2 years ago one of our local meteorologists spoke at our office and was telling us about a disgruntled viewer who paid a visit to the TV station because their 30+ year old episode of M*A*S*H was being interrupted by tornado coverage.

BrandonFG

« Reply #152 on: August 13, 2009, 03:36:05 PM »
[quote name=\'SteveR\' post=\'222884\' date=\'Aug 13 2009, 12:54 PM\']If ATWT is scrapped, it would seem that would open up a bunch of options on three fronts -- games, soaps and more time returned to the affiliates.

Does it open the door for:

* Pyramid?
* extending Bold & Beautiful to 1 hour?
* moving Y&R off its long-standing 12:30 start time?[/quote]
If I'm not mistaken, Y&R airs at 12:30 in most East coast markets, after the noon news. Affiliates who do well with a Price/News/Y&R combo might be reluctant to give up that slot. I'd say air Y&R at 12:30/hour-long B&B at 1:30, then half-hour Pyramid at 2:30, taking advantage of NBC not programming anything at 2. Of course, it's all dependent on what the affiliate wants to do.

[quote name=\'Pyramid80\' post=\'222900\' date=\'Aug 13 2009, 02:33 PM\']At least it's people mainly complaining about first run programming.  About 2 years ago one of our local meteorologists spoke at our office and was telling us about a disgruntled viewer who paid a visit to the TV station because their 30+ year old episode of M*A*S*H was being interrupted by tornado coverage.[/quote]
Hawkeye Pierce: Serious Business.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #153 on: August 13, 2009, 05:15:04 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'222908\' date=\'Aug 13 2009, 03:36 PM\']taking advantage of NBC not programming anything at 2. Of course, it's all dependent on what the affiliate wants to do.[/quote]
Because you could in in a market like Pittsburgh, where the 12,390th hour of Today airs at 2PM after 90 minutes of game shows.
This signature is currently under construction.

mathwhiz

« Reply #154 on: August 13, 2009, 06:46:04 PM »
I was checking with all my local stations regarding their Daytime lineups.  My CBS station said that CBS will be airing The Price Is Right at 3:00 pm for the 2 weeks between when Guiding Light goes off the air and Let's Make a Deal premiers.

Rich

snowpeck

« Reply #155 on: August 13, 2009, 06:52:09 PM »
Yes, CBS announced that last week.  Will be repeats.

Greg
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

Don Howard

« Reply #156 on: August 13, 2009, 07:35:06 PM »
[quote name=\'mathwhiz\' post=\'222935\' date=\'Aug 13 2009, 06:46 PM\']CBS will be airing The Price Is Right at 3:00 pm for the 2 weeks between when Guiding Light goes off the air and Let's Make a Deal premiers.[/quote]
Shuckers. I was hoping it might be two weeks of classic Let's Make A Deal shows with wraparounds by Monty Hall and Wayne Brady, including some clips from the upcoming NEW! LMAD'09. These two weeks of TPiR shows, I presume, will not be golden oldies featuring Anitra Ford.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 07:35:15 PM by Don Howard »

gsgalaxy82

« Reply #157 on: August 14, 2009, 09:44:30 PM »
[quote name=\'SteveR\' post=\'222884\' date=\'Aug 13 2009, 11:54 AM\']If ATWT is scrapped, it would seem that would open up a bunch of options on three fronts -- games, soaps and more time returned to the affiliates.

Does it open the door for:

* extending Bold & Beautiful to 1 hour?[/quote]

It's been said B&B will never extend to an hour because it would be difficult to expand. The costs are much lower to keep it a half hour and the cast is too small as well. So we can throw that out the window, since CBS I'm sure would rather have a low cost game show then expand a show that wouldn't work as an hour.

Jay Temple

« Reply #158 on: August 15, 2009, 01:29:20 AM »
Here's the thing I don't understand. Set aside the issue of which specific shows they chose. It strikes me as a bad idea to pick up only one show for an hour, rather than two half-hour shows. Right now, if LMAD tanks, I suppose they're stuck with more TPIR reruns. But if they had picked up two shows for a half-hour each, and one show tanked, they'd still have one salable half-hour, and reruns of the hit show could air in the other spot until they develop the third show. (ISTR that ABC re-ran Family Feud specials in Trivia Trap's spot at one point.)
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

aaron sica

« Reply #159 on: August 15, 2009, 06:18:05 PM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' post=\'223110\' date=\'Aug 15 2009, 01:29 AM\']Here's the thing I don't understand. Set aside the issue of which specific shows they chose. It strikes me as a bad idea to pick up only one show for an hour, rather than two half-hour shows. Right now, if LMAD tanks, I suppose they're stuck with more TPIR reruns. But if they had picked up two shows for a half-hour each, and one show tanked, they'd still have one salable half-hour, and reruns of the hit show could air in the other spot until they develop the third show. (ISTR that ABC re-ran Family Feud specials in Trivia Trap's spot at one point.)[/quote]

Actually, you could say it the other way around. TT hadn't premiered yet. ABC ran FF specials (known in the TVG as "Celebrity Family Feud") in the summer of '84.....I remember it being notable because it was the first time in about 4 years that some ABC stations ran a version of FF on the schedule. WNEP in Scranton stopped carrying it when it moved to noon, but they had the celeb version on at 11...

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #160 on: August 15, 2009, 08:20:14 PM »
I'm betting that ABC had to get rid of "The Love Report" as soon as possible and FF reruns were the only choice until Goodson could come up with something new.

As far as LMAD, if it flops, they could just plug in TPIR reruns (as is happening for a couple of weeks between GL and LMAD).  With two half-hours they can't do that.  Most everything in daytime is done in hour blocks nowadays.  Even the half-hour syndicated shows (game and court shows) are on twice a day or shown in hour blocks.

The local station in my area touting the "fast paced half hour DoND" shows them at 5 and 5:30.  Why not just call it an hour of DoND? :)
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

rwalker

« Reply #161 on: August 20, 2009, 11:38:36 AM »
Official CBS page is live now, but no "Jay Stewart" or "Carol Merrill" named, yet

http://www.cbs.com/daytime/lets_make_a_deal/

bulldog_06

« Reply #162 on: September 18, 2009, 01:42:02 PM »
I'm seeing through Wikipedia...that Rich Fields is announcing on Let's Make A Deal as well. Is this news true?

Let's Make A Deal - 2009 Version

BrandonFG

« Reply #163 on: September 18, 2009, 02:36:34 PM »
[quote name=\'bulldog_06\' post=\'226367\' date=\'Sep 18 2009, 01:42 PM\']I'm seeing through Wikipedia...that Rich Fields is announcing on Let's Make A Deal as well. Is this news true?

Let's Make A Deal - 2009 Version[/quote]
No. The announcer's name is Jonathan Mangum. He and Wayne worked together in Vegas.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Jumpondees

« Reply #164 on: September 20, 2009, 11:19:05 PM »
I've not seen any promos yet.  Since they have started taping, I would think there would be some commercials running promtoing the hell out of this thing.