Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: CBS Makes a 'Deal' to Replace 'Guiding Light'  (Read 61374 times)

TheInquisitiveOne

CBS Makes a 'Deal' to Replace 'Guiding Light'
« Reply #90 on: August 04, 2009, 01:04:05 PM »
Color me excited!

I've been lurking in threads regarding daytime revivals, withholding judgment until I read something concrete. I am excited to see something I thought we'd never see again: a new daytime network game show.

I'm optimistic about the LMAD revival...Wayne Brady is a great fit for this job, since improv is key to making this show work (although a script is involved). There are some strong similarities to the Price is Right, but I am sure there are viewers that will know the difference. The "Whose Line Influence" will make a positive impact in those two hours (if we have them back to back, which I am banking on in this area). The fall lineup will be nicely stacked this fall, with DoND and Feud being the newest carryovers from last season.

Props to CBS. First, they proved to the naysayers that The Price is Right can go on (and go well) without Bob Barker, and now they're showing that daytime game shows can still be a viable option for the morning crowd.

The Inquisitive One
This is the Way.

BillCullen1

« Reply #91 on: August 04, 2009, 01:24:52 PM »
[quote name=\'SteveR\' post=\'221929\' date=\'Aug 4 2009, 12:40 PM\'][quote name=\'SteveR\' post=\'221921\' date=\'Aug 4 2009, 11:32 AM\'](Are DoND and Feud the only carry-overs to the new season?)[/quote]
And, in case you're wondering, I didn't forget Wheel/J! . But they have a unique place in the market ... long-established time slots and affiliates with very little variance over the years.
[/quote]

No, they're not the only shows. Meredith's Millionaire will be going into its eighth season.

BrandonFG

« Reply #92 on: August 04, 2009, 01:55:53 PM »
[quote name=\'SteveR\' post=\'221921\' date=\'Aug 4 2009, 11:32 AM\']* I, too, was hoping for Pyramid but completely welcome another GS back to network daytime TV. I wonder if the syndicated market can absorb another show, given the recent failures/departures of Temptation, Trivial Pursuit and Crosswords and the addition of 5th Grader for the Fall. There WOULD be room if syndicators didn't make it so darn attractive (it would seem) to double-run their shows. (Are DoND and Feud the only carry-overs to the new season?)[/quote]
I think the market can hold it (not as many sitcoms this fall helps things). IMO, what hurt the new shows of 07-08 and 08-09 were 1) they weren't established shows compared to the other shows that debuted this decade*, 2) piss-poor promotion for all three (I saw more Syn-Deal promos last summer than the three shows combined, not to mention they put up a website months in advance), and 3) even more piss-poor execution. By Thanksgiving 2007, Crosswords had already altered the show three times. However, I'm willing to give it a bit more leniency given Merv died right before the first taping. The market had eight syndicated games in fall-2002, at least four of them first run (Pyramid, Feud, H^2 on weekends, and I think Street Smarts), with an even more crowded market (more court and talk shows and sitcoms). I think it just boils down to promotion and execution. People can't watch your show if you don't tell them when it's on. And if you do tell them, they won't watch if it sucks.

*Yes, Temptation was based on $ale of the Century...which hadn't aired in first-run in 18 years. Outside of we geeks and maybe some Gen-Xers with fond childhood memories, it was more or less a forgotten memory, compared to when they brought back Millionaire in '02, which had just left network the prior summer.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

aaron sica

« Reply #93 on: August 04, 2009, 02:07:34 PM »
[quote name=\'mitchgroff\' post=\'221910\' date=\'Aug 4 2009, 10:11 AM\'][quote name=\'aaron sica\' post=\'221861\' date=\'Aug 3 2009, 07:49 PM\']For those in the Harrisburg-Lebanon-Lancaster-York market, I emailed WHP's programming department and got a vacation message. I shall actually try the old fashioned way of telephone tomorrow.[/quote]
Good luck getting an answer out of 21; they rarely pick up the phone. Would love to hear if you got an answer, though. I can't imagine that they have alternative syndie programming lined up that quickly if they didn't want to run LMaD.

Interesting Tweet from WBOC (Salisbury, MD):

Let's Make a Deal is coming to WBOC Oct. 5. Replaces Guiding Light.

I don't know if we knew the date before...if it's in an earlier post, thousand apologies.
[/quote]

I called and asked for the Programming department - got a recording, was the same gal who sent me a vacation message. So much for that. :) Will have to be patient and wait for next week.

wheelloon

« Reply #94 on: August 04, 2009, 02:24:09 PM »
Interesting Tweet from WBOC (Salisbury, MD):

Let's Make a Deal is coming to WBOC Oct. 5. Replaces Guiding Light.

That was mentioned earlier, but I wouldn't be surprised if WBOC changes this up a bit, given their recent history. They relegated all of their syndie game shows to their offshoot "2nd banana" FOX21 and it wouldn't be the least bit surprising if they try to put LMAD before Price, even though GL airs in the afternoon here (so they can use that hour for ANOTHER talk show, Rachel Ray I'd bet). They want their station to be talk and news, and everything else thrown somewhere on the other station, and that's from a previous station manager's lips, themself (I'm originally from the region). At least you can be 100% sure of the October 5 date via the tweet and that the other articles have said the same. I guess you can call it replacing, but more what I'd call "schedule flopping," and it'd be more accurate if they said "The XX Show" will replace GL if that prediction pans out.

Maybe I'm just nitpicking...
"I'm dressed as one of the most frightening figures known to man...

A TV game show host."--Pat Sajak

alfonzos

« Reply #95 on: August 04, 2009, 05:13:41 PM »
Good news: There will be a second network daytime game show.
Bad news: It's a revival of a old title.
Good news: It's LMaD.
Bad news: Monty Hall won't be hosting.
Good news: Wayne Brady will be hosting. I was rooting for him for the TPiR gig even though he was never in the running.
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

SteveR

« Reply #96 on: August 04, 2009, 06:28:09 PM »
[quote name=\'BillCullen1\' post=\'221938\' date=\'Aug 4 2009, 01:24 PM\'][quote name=\'SteveR\' post=\'221929\' date=\'Aug 4 2009, 12:40 PM\'][quote name=\'SteveR\' post=\'221921\' date=\'Aug 4 2009, 11:32 AM\'](Are DoND and Feud the only carry-overs to the new season?)[/quote]
And, in case you're wondering, I didn't forget Wheel/J! . But they have a unique place in the market ... long-established time slots and affiliates with very little variance over the years.
[/quote]

No, they're not the only shows. Meredith's Millionaire will be going into its eighth season.
[/quote]
D'OH!

And, I got a response from WUSA in Washington DC. They did confirm that they are moving Guiding Light to 10 a.m. on Sept. 14 to accomodate Dr. Oz at 3 p.m. but were non-committal about plans for LMaD.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 06:30:55 PM by SteveR »

calliaume

« Reply #97 on: August 04, 2009, 06:35:04 PM »
Does anybody know how many markets aired The Guiding Light at 10 Eastern/9 Central?  And has it occured to anyone that (1) soaps don't work well in the A.M. (the last one to run that early, Texas, died very quickly), and (2) a standalone soap probably won't work that well either.

That aside, I would think a game would work better in the afternoon, with the kids home from school.  (Do kids get home by 3 P.M. and watch game shows anymore?  We did in the '60s and '70s, but that's because we only had seven channels and I'd seen every Popeye cartoon.)

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #98 on: August 04, 2009, 06:45:59 PM »
[quote name=\'calliaume\' post=\'222005\' date=\'Aug 4 2009, 06:35 PM\']That aside, I would think a game would work better in the afternoon, with the kids home from school.  (Do kids get home by 3 P.M. and watch game shows anymore?  We did in the '60s and '70s, but that's because we only had seven channels and I'd seen every Popeye cartoon.)[/quote]
I'm not sure exactly where it came from, but some daytime programmer a long, long time ago said that you want to put your game shows in the morning and your soaps in the afternoon.  The (now antiquated and sexist) logic was that housewives were busy with their housework in the morning, so you gave them something that didn't tax their attention, and by the afternoon, they could settle down and more closely follow the scripted stuff.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

CarShark

« Reply #99 on: August 04, 2009, 08:24:16 PM »
The thing I find most interesting about this whole thing was the apparent insistence by CBS that whatever replaced Guiding Light had to be an hour long. That leaves Bold and the Beautiful as still the only half-hour show in daytime. I've been looking at some soap opera forums for reaction, and some blame the move to hour-long shows for the downfall of daytime.

One thing Curt said reminded me of a question I always had. Why didn't Press Your Luck take off when they moved it to the 4:00 pm slot? It seemed like the ultimate show for a kid to watch after school.

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
« Reply #100 on: August 04, 2009, 08:26:15 PM »
[quote name=\'CarShark\' post=\'222012\' date=\'Aug 4 2009, 08:24 PM\']One thing Curt said reminded me of a question I always had. Why didn't Press Your Luck take off when they moved it to the 4:00 pm slot? It seemed like the ultimate show for a kid to watch after school.[/quote]

The same thing that plagued a lot of 4:00 PM shows in that era:  low affiliate clearances.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 08:28:01 PM by NicholasM79 »

aaron sica

« Reply #101 on: August 04, 2009, 08:27:08 PM »
[quote name=\'CarShark\' post=\'222012\' date=\'Aug 4 2009, 08:24 PM\']One thing Curt said reminded me of a question I always had. Why didn't Press Your Luck take off when they moved it to the 4:00 pm slot? It seemed like the ultimate show for a kid to watch after school.[/quote]

Definitely a kid-friendly game show (considering a lot of us, including myself, *were* kids when it was on during its original run), but by that time a good number of CBS stations programmed the 4pm with syndicated fare.

aaron sica

« Reply #102 on: August 04, 2009, 08:28:21 PM »
[quote name=\'calliaume\' post=\'222005\' date=\'Aug 4 2009, 06:35 PM\']Does anybody know how many markets aired The Guiding Light at 10 Eastern/9 Central?  And has it occured to anyone that (1) soaps don't work well in the A.M. (the last one to run that early, Texas, died very quickly), and (2) a standalone soap probably won't work that well either.

That aside, I would think a game would work better in the afternoon, with the kids home from school.  (Do kids get home by 3 P.M. and watch game shows anymore?  We did in the '60s and '70s, but that's because we only had seven channels and I'd seen every Popeye cartoon.)[/quote]

Off the top of my head:

WCBS-New York, KYW-Philly, KDKA-Pittsburgh, WYOU-Scranton, WJZ-Baltimore to start.

SteveR

« Reply #103 on: August 04, 2009, 08:54:21 PM »
The only 3pm-or-later game shows that I recall having any sort of real success were the MG/Tattletales block on CBS and The Gong Show on NBC.

Sorry, for as much as I was a viewer (especially for the first part), I can't put the MG/HS Hour on that list.

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
« Reply #104 on: August 04, 2009, 09:27:38 PM »
Here's how I feel about this whole thing.

I will watch, I will give it a chance.  But, if there's only one thing I want out of this:  please, please, just get the show right.  That's all I ask.  That's all I'm hoping for.  Just get the show right.  LMAD has a certain magic to it:  the wacky people in the costumes faced with the dillema picking the curtain or the box or the money and possibly getting zonked.  That's it.  Let that be the star of the show, and well, Wayne can shine right along side it, if it's done right.

Again:  I will give it a chance, and I am crossing my fingers that it's a success, because so much more can come on the heels of a hit... we hope.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 09:28:31 PM by NicholasM79 »