Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Rebus Vault  (Read 1850 times)

Mrs. GameShow

The Rebus Vault
« on: August 04, 2009, 03:06:48 PM »
Hi everyone,

Steve has added a new section to his Facebook Fan page.   "The Rebus Vault."  

Go check it out.

Steve Ryan Games  --- on Facebook

I see that several regular posters from here are now Facebook fans.  Thanks for joining.  We'll be adding more things in the upcoming months... plus announcing a major new project.  Come check us out and find it out first.  :)  

Mrs. Game Show

Matt Ottinger

The Rebus Vault
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 03:39:50 PM »
For those of us who grew up with the original series, Steve's inventive puzzles were the best thing about the remake -- no matter what Norm Blumenthal thought!  I'm so glad Steve opened up his "vault" to show us some original sketches.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
The Rebus Vault
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 04:19:55 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'221968\' date=\'Aug 4 2009, 12:39 PM\']For those of us who grew up with the original series, Steve's inventive puzzles were the best thing about the remake -- no matter what Norm Blumenthal thought!  I'm so glad Steve opened up his "vault" to show us some original sketches.[/quote]
I dare you to call Norm at home and tell him that. I double dare you.

While you're at it, I triple dare you to call the Kalehoff residence and tell Edd how great his music was for Narz Concentration.

Mrs. GameShow

The Rebus Vault
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 05:06:45 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'221968\' date=\'Aug 4 2009, 03:39 PM\']For those of us who grew up with the original series, Steve's inventive puzzles were the best thing about the remake -- no matter what Norm Blumenthal thought!  I'm so glad Steve opened up his "vault" to show us some original sketches.[/quote]

Matt,

Glad you liked seeing some of the original sketches in the Rebus Vault.  As time permits, we will be adding more to the site.  It's fun taking a walk down memory lane.  I'm making notes,  grabbing the digital camera and placing Steve with some mementos.... hhmmm wonder what will be next.  

Plus, we'll be showing you what Steve's been up to lately.  

So, if anyone has any requests or suggestions, post a note on his Facebook fan wall and just maybe it might end up on there.  

Mrs. Game Show

CarShark

The Rebus Vault
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 05:15:49 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'221968\' date=\'Aug 4 2009, 03:39 PM\']For those of us who grew up with the original series, Steve's inventive puzzles were the best thing about the remake -- no matter what Norm Blumenthal thought![/quote]What was Blumenthal's beef with Steve Ryan's puzzles?

Matt Ottinger

The Rebus Vault
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 05:21:14 PM »
[quote name=\'CarShark\' post=\'221991\' date=\'Aug 4 2009, 05:15 PM\']What was Blumenthal's beef with Steve Ryan's puzzles?[/quote]
He had a very strong opinion about what worked and what didn't, which is why he didn't delegate rebus construction to anyone else while he was in charge.  He had a HUGE problem with color rebuses in general, believing them too easy to solve.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 12:35:51 PM by Matt Ottinger »

CarShark

The Rebus Vault
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 05:33:34 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'221992\' date=\'Aug 4 2009, 05:21 PM\']He had a HUGE problem with color rebuses in general, believing them too easy to solve.[/quote]So what did he do when the show transitioned to color?

Matt Ottinger

The Rebus Vault
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 05:40:51 PM »
[quote name=\'CarShark\' post=\'221994\' date=\'Aug 4 2009, 05:33 PM\'][quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'221992\' date=\'Aug 4 2009, 05:21 PM\']He had a HUGE problem with color rebuses in general, believing them too easy to solve.[/quote]So what did he do when the show transitioned to color?[/quote]
His puzzles remained two-toned until the very end.  His only concession was using a brownish color instead of black.  The first truly color rebuses were the ones for the Goodson-Todman syndicated show, which he had no control over.

dazztardly

The Rebus Vault
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009, 06:22:04 PM »
When I talked to Allen Koss about his Producer duties on Concentration, he said he to also developed rebuses for the show. I can ask him some questions if any of you have anything to inquire.