Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Show Sounds  (Read 6246 times)

timpale

Game Show Sounds
« on: August 04, 2009, 10:39:15 AM »
I was thinking about this while watching one of the Pyramid "what not to do" videos on youtube.  What is your favorite game show sound?  It can either be a sound effect or natural sound.  For example, I'd have to say mine is the sound when a Pyramid trilon turns -- the aluminum/plexiglass box slightly touching the sides of the window as it spins making a mild click/thud.   Another example I thought of was the sound of the tiles dropping into the Scrabble contestant podium -- amplified by their desk mics.  
Any others?

BrandonFG

Game Show Sounds
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 12:08:40 PM »
I always liked the sound of a "natural" bell, like on TPiR or what Pyramid used in the 80s, esp. when the latter was used to confirm a good post-Winner's Circle clue. The synthesized bell sounds used on shows like Donnymid just didn't do it for me. However, I do find it fascinating how some synthesized effects are put together, i.e. J!'s Daily Double sound. On those same lines, I like a traditional buzz to signal someone being wrong or that time's up (i.e. the time's up buzzer on PYL or 80s Pyramid).

Also liked the "Stopper" SFX on Scrabble and the motor clinking on TJW.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 12:29:41 PM by fostergray82 »
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Game Show Sounds
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 12:24:17 PM »
Maybe not my favorite sound of all time, but I loved the "CBS bell" when it had a more manual sound to it. Through the 70s and 80s, you could practically hear a hammer striking an actual metal bell when it rang on Price is Right or Press Your Luck. Heck, on Body Language, you often heard whoever was doing sounds slamming the button a lot for a puzzle solve.

NBC had a lock on the best stable of SFX though. Their chimes and buzzers are so identifiable with their shows, and they fit with the big/loud nature of their game shows.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

tvrandywest

Game Show Sounds
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 12:58:26 PM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' post=\'221925\' date=\'Aug 4 2009, 09:24 AM\']Maybe not my favorite sound of all time, but I loved the "CBS bell" when it had a more manual sound to it. Through the 70s and 80s, you could practically hear a hammer striking an actual metal bell when it rang on Price is Right or Press Your Luck. Heck, on Body Language, you often heard whoever was doing sounds slamming the button a lot for a puzzle solve.

NBC had a lock on the best stable of SFX though. Their chimes and buzzers are so identifiable with their shows, and they fit with the big/loud nature of their game shows.

-Jason[/quote]
In the 70s and into the 80s the TPiR bell WAS live - you're right in that you actually DID hear a hammer striking a metal chime! It was controlled with a small fist-held button that resembled the call button a patient used in the hospital to summon a nurse. Those of us of a certain age will remember those chimes being used in department stores to summon employees (instead of people screaching on a PA system).

TPiR used other, what are called "practical" sfx left over from the days of radio drama. The Squeeze Play squeezing of the numbers (also the closing of the Safecrackers door) was created by a desktop device that enabled the tech to rub a hinged piece of wood against a piece of leather.

Randy
tvrandywest
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

geno57

Game Show Sounds
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 01:26:32 PM »
My favorite "produced" soundeffect:  On the original NBC Match Game, the sound heard when two players matched.

Favorite "natural" sound:  Trilons turning on the Downs/Clayton Concentration.

Chief-O

• .....and it goes like this!!!
Game Show Sounds
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 01:48:03 PM »
I've always preferred the NBC stock buzzers and bells to CBS'. A lot of the special sounds---e.g. those from "Super Password" and especially "Scrabble"---are undoubtedly among the best ever heard on any show.

BTW, my alma mater's TV station still uses my in-house recording of the "E" bell [as heard on Scrabble, Perry CS, etc] for its weekly Pop Quiz segment. Yes, I actually have some old doorbells stashed away for just that purpose!
There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people: Religion, politics, and the proper wrapping of microphone cables.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Game Show Sounds
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 02:51:40 PM »
Favorite "natural" sound: Trilons turning on the Downs/Clayton Concentration.
When they sped up the trilons on the Narz version, that sound effect lost its appeal.

Here is the chime used on Concentration and other G-T shows. Yours for a little over $200:

http://www.edwards-signals.com/index.cfm?L...G=3&PID=317
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 02:56:13 PM by chris319 »

opimus

Game Show Sounds
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 03:42:06 PM »
The"Tacky Buzzer" from HS Marshall version.
The thunk during the lighting round word change.

Neumms

Game Show Sounds
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009, 04:24:26 PM »
[quote name=\'geno57\' post=\'221940\' date=\'Aug 4 2009, 12:26 PM\']My favorite "produced" soundeffect:  On the original NBC Match Game, the sound heard when two players matched.[/quote]

That was awesome.

Of the modern shows, there's kind of a slapping sound on "Chain Reaction" whenever Dylan ad-libs. I think it's hands hitting foreheads.