Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: PT Millionaire Haiku  (Read 3471 times)

efbyon

PT Millionaire Haiku
« on: August 11, 2009, 12:17:22 PM »
This one came to mind as I was coming to work today:

Millionaire is back!
Regis Philbin still has it
But the clock blows chunks.

I'm guessing this sums up a lot of people's feelings on this board and a number of others... :-)

Fred

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
PT Millionaire Haiku
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 05:08:10 PM »
Geoff Edwards Rules!
I want him very badly!
Let's watch Jackpot now!

Oh wait.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
PT Millionaire Haiku
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 05:19:05 PM »
Pyramid lost out
To Wayne Brady and turnips
Have you seen my pants?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

PT Millionaire Haiku
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 05:36:50 PM »
Recycled theme song
Robotic game show reader
Merv Griffin's Crosswords

Man Temptation sucked
I could fight the Temptation
Suck suck suck suck suck

Twenty-six women
Who's the cue ball germaphobe?
I'll be in my bunk
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Don Howard

PT Millionaire Haiku
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 05:55:40 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'222655\' date=\'Aug 11 2009, 05:36 PM\']I could fight the Temptation
Suck suck suck suck suck
Twenty-six women
in my bunk[/quote]
Edited for Don's pleasure.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 07:19:20 PM by Don Howard »

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
PT Millionaire Haiku
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 07:59:27 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'222657\' date=\'Aug 11 2009, 04:55 PM\'][quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'222655\' date=\'Aug 11 2009, 05:36 PM\']I could fight the Temptation
Suck suck suck suck suck
Twenty-six women
in my bunk[/quote]
Edited for Don's pleasure.
[/quote]

I spat milk through my nose with that one. Well Played.

RyanCDN

PT Millionaire Haiku
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2009, 11:37:49 AM »
[quote name=\'efbyon\' post=\'222614\' date=\'Aug 11 2009, 11:17 AM\']This one came to mind as I was coming to work today:

Millionaire is back!
Regis Philbin still has it
But the clock blows chunks.

I'm guessing this sums up a lot of people's feelings on this board and a number of others... :-)

Fred[/quote]

Hahaha, well said Fred, well said indeed.

I couldn't agree with this more, the clock blows big time.  The clock interupts the interaction that Regis had with the contestants as they struggled through the questions.  Yes, the clock moves the game along, but I am not interested in that.  Everything seems way too rushed here.  I am not "in the biz" but I would assume post production edit during a question would be reduced, as compared to when they had unlimited time.  I have not watched this for ages, but if the clock runs out before they say final answer, is that it, game over?

I don't have a problem with them setting a longer time limit, so if the person is taking 15 minutes to answer, they can say, ok, you have a minutes to make up your mind, but to actually have the clock as a part of the game . . . see haiku.

-Ryan
Ryan
“I’ll give away a Zed.”

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
PT Millionaire Haiku
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2009, 11:45:12 AM »
[quote name=\'RyanCDN\' post=\'222760\' date=\'Aug 12 2009, 11:37 AM\']The clock interupts the interaction that Regis had with the contestants as they struggled through the questions.[/quote]
During the tapings I attended, the clock really seemed to throw Regis off...he stammered and doubled back at points that he would have breezed through without the pressure of time. At one point, one of his mistakes caused the timer to run out, prompting a swarm of S&Ps and a reshoot.
Digital Media Producer, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

Matt Ottinger

PT Millionaire Haiku
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2009, 12:01:13 PM »
[quote name=\'DoorNumberFour\' post=\'222764\' date=\'Aug 12 2009, 11:45 AM\']At one point, one of his mistakes caused the timer to run out, prompting a swarm of S&Ps and a reshoot.[/quote]
Thanks for confirming what a lot of us assumed.  After seeing a couple of close calls on early questions that were totally and obviously not the contestants' fault, I couldn't imagine that they would actually penalize a contestant for essentially not being rude.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

efbyon

PT Millionaire Haiku
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2009, 12:06:11 PM »
[quote name=\'RyanCDN\' post=\'222760\' date=\'Aug 12 2009, 11:37 AM\']I have not watched this for ages, but if the clock runs out before they say final answer, is that it, game over?[/quote]

Yes, game over.  It would be the same as walking away, which means the contestant leaves with whatever he/she has earned up to that point.

Fred

Don Howard

PT Millionaire Haiku
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2009, 12:25:11 PM »
[quote name=\'RyanCDN\' post=\'222760\' date=\'Aug 12 2009, 11:37 AM\']The clock interupts the interaction that Regis had with the contestants as they struggled through the questions.[/quote]
We see glimpses of the "let's try to figure this out" interaction when a player reaches Level III, but because there's a mere :45 to work with, it's very limited.

RyanCDN

PT Millionaire Haiku
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2009, 04:52:54 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'222767\' date=\'Aug 12 2009, 11:01 AM\'][Thanks for confirming what a lot of us assumed.  After seeing a couple of close calls on early questions that were totally and obviously not the contestants' fault, I couldn't imagine that they would actually penalize a contestant for essentially not being rude.[/quote]

Yes, it is rather 'silly' that they start the clock with the host still reading the question.  I like Regis, I enjoy him, and he can be a funny guy.  This new feature, in my eyes, doesn't really allow him to "host" the show.  

-Ryan
Ryan
“I’ll give away a Zed.”

Kevin Prather

PT Millionaire Haiku
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2009, 05:40:56 PM »
If you really want to have the clock at hand to speed up the game appropriately, I liked how the Aussie Live Millionaire did it. Just play the game like normal, no clock, then if it looks like the player's dragging their feet, throw up a one-minute clock for them to make up their mind. Hell, even make the clock :30 if you want, but don't use it 'til you need it.

Matt Ottinger

PT Millionaire Haiku
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2009, 05:59:53 PM »
[quote name=\'Kevin Prather\' post=\'222815\' date=\'Aug 12 2009, 05:40 PM\']If you really want to have the clock at hand to speed up the game appropriately, I liked how the Aussie Live Millionaire did it. Just play the game like normal, no clock, then if it looks like the player's dragging their feet, throw up a one-minute clock for them to make up their mind. Hell, even make the clock :30 if you want, but don't use it 'til you need it.[/quote]
I think that goes too far the other way, and renders the clock meaningless to us watching at home.  After all, any foot-dragging can be edited out in post, so all you're really doing is making it a little less boring for the people sitting in the studio audience.

All you have to do is start the clock after the host reads all four answers.  Maybe bump the times up to :30, :45 and :60.  But that's it.  I still say there's nothing wrong with the idea of a clock. I like very much that every Fastest Finger group so far this week has had at least two chances to play, and that wasn't always the case before.  They just ought to have figured out a way to clean it up by now.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Kevin Prather

PT Millionaire Haiku
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2009, 06:15:45 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'222819\' date=\'Aug 12 2009, 02:59 PM\'][quote name=\'Kevin Prather\' post=\'222815\' date=\'Aug 12 2009, 05:40 PM\']If you really want to have the clock at hand to speed up the game appropriately, I liked how the Aussie Live Millionaire did it. Just play the game like normal, no clock, then if it looks like the player's dragging their feet, throw up a one-minute clock for them to make up their mind. Hell, even make the clock :30 if you want, but don't use it 'til you need it.[/quote]
I think that goes too far the other way, and renders the clock meaningless to us watching at home.  After all, any foot-dragging can be edited out in post, so all you're really doing is making it a little less boring for the people sitting in the studio audience.[/quote]
And the crew, which is why the clock was put up in the first place.

All you have to do is start the clock after the host reads all four answers.  Maybe bump the times up to :30, :45 and :60.  But that's it.  I still say there's nothing wrong with the idea of a clock. I like very much that every Fastest Finger group so far this week has had at least two chances to play, and that wasn't always the case before.  They just ought to have figured out a way to clean it up by now.
Agreed, this would be a good start. My issue with the clock is that since it showed up, the writers seem to be writing more "think about it" style questions rather than the straight-forward variety. If you want players to jump through mental loops to get to the answer, you can't restrict them to 15 seconds, ESPECIALLY if they're losing some of that time to Regis's reading.