Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Millionaire Video Auditions...Tips?  (Read 1445 times)

kevin63138

Millionaire Video Auditions...Tips?
« on: August 14, 2009, 06:31:59 AM »
Sorry if this has been discussed already, but I guess you can still audition through video until the 24th! http://www.millionairetv.com/special/onlin...ions/index.html

I tried last time unsuccessfully but I don't know if that was because I submitted right before the deadline. I know I would be a great contestant, but how can I convey this is a 2 minute video? Being excited sitting in a chair at my dorm room desk is apparently not the way to go...If you type in "millionaire audition" on youtube and sort by the newest, there are a few prospective contestants including 2 videos that got the person on the show! The first one is a clever rap/song, while "Brandon Millionaire" seems to be the complete opposite approach of just talking.

I know I should "be myself" and I know that being myself would be good enough, but I'm not sure how to convey it properly. I have been watching Millionaire and game shows in general for the past 10 years (or my whole life, like many of you) so I know what makes a great contestant and I know I could do it...but how?

p.s. I know this is my first post but I've been lurking for quite some time! Hello everyone.

chad1m

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 11:30:19 AM »
Yeah, being yourself, just turned up a few notches, is definitely a biggie. You also need to be unique - show them/tell them in your video what about you or your plans with the money makes you different than all of the other prospects and why they should choose you. Lastly, make sure you're always speaking "loudly" and clearly, so that you can come off as confident and so that they can see you will do well on television.

Good luck!

tvrandywest

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 01:58:35 PM »
Welcome Kevin. Yes, "be yourself, up a few notches", contestant coordinators can smell phoniness.

Now, think of all those interview moments between questions when Regis/Meredith asks the player to expand upon some interesting tidbit about himself. Have something honest that would fit that, which you can present in your tape without it sounding like it came from left field, and tell it with honest enthusiasm.

I hesitate to give an example, lest it be adopted without being based in truth, but this will give you an idea - I used a variation of it in the 1980s: "Being in New York for 'Millionaire' has an added excitement for me. I'm a huge roller coaster fan, and I've travelled all around the country riding all the major coasters. But I never made it to Coney Island for the great 'Cyclone'. As soon as I win, that's where I'm going to celebrate."

And if this were your tidbit, you'd need to know something about the "Cyclone" and a few other famous coasters, as well as the location of King's Island amusement park, etc.

Good luck!

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

kevin63138

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 07:12:34 PM »
Haha it sounds like you're setting me up to give a false anecdote! Just kidding, I would never.

Thanks for the responses! Who else here is doing/has already submitted a video. I'm still putting mine off as I'm thinking of what/how to say what.

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 05:14:52 PM »
Just got an email from ABC...I've been selected for the online test! WOO!

Good luck to everyone else who submitted a video!
Digital Media Producer, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

BrentW

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 06:27:25 PM »
No email for me yet.  :-(  But the deadline was last night, so there's still hope (I hope).  :-)