Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Another Pyramid hypothetical  (Read 6968 times)

Bill Neuweiler

Another Pyramid hypothetical
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2009, 11:00:47 PM »
A Charming Phrase may have a certian Ring to it, much in the same way your cell phone may have many different rings.  I think if it were in fact buzzed there would be enough of a case against it to reverse the decision.  Otherwise the audience might riot, and really, who needs that?
<p>I share a birthday with Jack Barry.

BrandonFG

« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2009, 11:04:23 PM »
[quote name=\'CarShark\' post=\'223906\' date=\'Aug 23 2009, 10:32 PM\']nstead of just shrugging it off as a fluke and trusting in the overly lenient moderation style GSF's usually had that's become more apparent now that only the two remaining (and most lenient) moderators are here to apply it.[/quote]
I don't care who you are, that's just not right.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2009, 11:13:43 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'223915\' date=\'Aug 23 2009, 08:04 PM\'][quote name=\'CarShark\' post=\'223906\' date=\'Aug 23 2009, 10:32 PM\']nstead of just shrugging it off as a fluke and trusting in the overly lenient moderation style GSF's usually had that's become more apparent now that only the two remaining (and most lenient) moderators are here to apply it.[/quote]I don't care who you are, that's just not right.[/quote]Oh wow, I totally passed over that.

Stay classy, CS.
Travis L. Eberle

CarShark

« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2009, 01:22:47 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'223916\' date=\'Aug 23 2009, 11:13 PM\'][quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'223915\' date=\'Aug 23 2009, 08:04 PM\'][quote name=\'CarShark\' post=\'223906\' date=\'Aug 23 2009, 10:32 PM\']nstead of just shrugging it off as a fluke and trusting in the overly lenient moderation style GSF's usually had that's become more apparent now that only the two remaining (and most lenient) moderators are here to apply it.[/quote]I don't care who you are, that's just not right.[/quote]Oh wow, I totally passed over that.

Stay classy, CS.
[/quote]
Gimme a break. All I said was that Mr. Zinkin was a decent enforcer, and I kind of admired him for that, but since he's passed, there seems to be no effort to stop Chris Lemon from his needless and constant berating. And of course you don't see a problem with it. At times, you're just as bad.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 01:24:01 PM by CarShark »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2009, 01:29:16 PM »
Gotta say, there's no finer way to get Our Benevolent Moderators to do your bidding than to tell them what a crappy job you think they're doing.

Did this work with Brendy?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

HYHYBT

« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2009, 04:46:46 PM »
The great thing about clues like "an engaged woman's finger" is that it points straight at the answer and really can't possibly mean anything else*. It's the sort of clue Dick Clark would trot out when they weren't quite putting the other clues together, guaranteed to make the player not only say "ring" but smack herself for not seeing sooner that that's what the Olympic flag and a bathtub have in common. I don't see how its legality would ever come into question, so I'm not sure why it's here, but it's certainly not in the category of being too clever for your own good, like the ones that, legal or not, no one in their right mind would ever use unless you knew your partner had the same interests. (An example from last summer's Password that's stuck with me: you're allowed three one-word clues, and the password was "comb." Paired with someone from this group, the string of clues "feud, host, ray" would probably work, but with a stranger you'd be insane to try it.)
"If you ask me to repeat this I'm gonna punch you right in the nose" -- Geoff Edwards, Play the Percentages

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2009, 08:03:16 PM »
Then again, if your partner is, say, Coolio or Snoop Dogg, a good clue for comb might be "Puffy."
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Casey

« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2009, 08:32:42 PM »
[quote name=\'CarShark\' post=\'223906\' date=\'Aug 23 2009, 08:32 PM\']Ridiculous. Unless you can prove somehow that a telephone doesn't have or can't have "a clear resonant sound made by or resembling that made by vibrating metal," you ARE indeed wrong. There's nothing to debate. There's nothing to judge.[/quote]
There's clearly a difference between "Things That Ring" which is what you are describing and "Things With A Ring" which you are not.

And I don't know about anyone else, but I haven't owned a phone with a real bell in it since the mid 1980s...
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 08:36:27 PM by isucgv »

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2009, 10:09:27 PM »
[quote name=\'CarShark\' post=\'223906\' date=\'Aug 23 2009, 09:32 PM\']Ridiculous. Unless you can prove somehow that a telephone doesn't have or can't have "a clear resonant sound made by or resembling that made by vibrating metal," you ARE indeed wrong. There's nothing to debate. There's nothing to judge.[/quote]Dude, let it go.

The show isn't there to provide scientific analysis as to whether or not something has a ring or not.  The show is there to provide entertainment.  

And by saying there is "nothing to debate", you are admitting there is no purpose to discuss anything.  So why post?
Then again, if your partner is, say, Coolio or Snoop Dogg, a good clue for comb might be "Puffy."
Cripes.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 10:09:56 PM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

pyrfan

« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2009, 01:34:38 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'223872\' date=\'Aug 23 2009, 05:18 PM\'][quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'223870\' date=\'Aug 23 2009, 01:55 PM\']My telephone has a ring.  Otherwise I don't know if someone is calling. :)  Does your buzzer have a buzz or a buzzerer?[/quote]
Your telephone produces a sound that is commonly known as a "ring". That is not the same as "having a ring."
[/quote]
Would you agree that a telephone can have a distinctive ring? Or a loud ring? Or an annoying ring? If it can have any of those types of rings, then it stands to reason that a phone can indeed have a ring.

And not that this is the best litmus test of whether a clue should be legal (a point you made later in the thread), but the judges did allow "a bell" as a clue for this category in the past, so if a bell can have a ring, I would think a telephone could, too. But I'll also say that I raised an eyebrow when the clue was first given, until I thought about it.

Interesting that this particular subject came up when discussing legality of clues. The first time I auditioned for the show, contestant coordinator Lisa Furubotten gave an example of a clue that would be buzzed in THINGS THAT HAVE A RING: "a married finger."

Brendan

Uh...just for the record, "Brendy" isn't supposed to be me, is it? I lose track of all the charming pet names on this forum.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2009, 01:45:22 AM »
[quote name=\'pyrfan\' post=\'224135\' date=\'Aug 25 2009, 10:34 PM\']Would you agree that a telephone can have a distinctive ring? Or a loud ring? Or an annoying ring?[/quote]
Do I agree those are slang terms for "the sound this phone makes is distincting, loud, annoying?" Yes. Do I agree, strictly grammatically, that a telephone "has" those? No.
but the judges did allow "a bell" as a clue for this category in the past, so if a bell can have a ring, I would think a telephone could, too.
I agree that if "a bell" was accepted, then "a telephone" should be ruled similarly. That said, if I'm the judge, I'd have buzzed "a bell" for the same reasons that I'm arguing here.
Uh...just for the record, "Brendy" isn't supposed to be me, is it? I lose track of all the charming pet names on this forum.
Brendy is the first name of Guide Angel, who moderates the GSN boards.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jay Temple

« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2009, 12:30:16 AM »
[quote name=\'pyrfan\' post=\'224135\' date=\'Aug 26 2009, 12:34 AM\']Interesting that this particular subject came up when discussing legality of clues. The first time I auditioned for the show, contestant coordinator Lisa Furubotten gave an example of a clue that would be buzzed in THINGS THAT HAVE A RING: "a married finger."[/quote]
There is no contradiction between accepting other things we've discussed and buzzing that one. It's very similar to the "French potato" clue (THINGS THAT ARE FRIED) in that there is no such distinctive object as a French potato, nor a married finger. I've argued for "a long rose" in the past, and even I agree with buzzing "a married finger."
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Loogaroo

« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2009, 03:53:19 AM »
The difference between "a married finger" and "a married woman's finger" is that the former is coining a phrase. Fingers don't get married.
You're in a room. You're wearing a silly hat.
There are letters on the floor. They spell "NOPE".

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2009, 11:47:01 AM »
Tell that to Mr. Greco.