Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What happens at a Jeopardy audition?  (Read 1771 times)

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
What happens at a Jeopardy audition?
« on: August 25, 2009, 09:20:41 PM »
If I indeed passed the Jeopardy test I just took, what can I expect from my in-person audition in Boston?
Digital Media Producer, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

chad1m

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 09:34:24 PM »
Well, I don't think just because you (may have) passed the online audition you get a free pass to Boston. You still have to get picked from the pool of people who passed and selected Boston. But, anyway, you'll fill out some forms, take a seat and, along with everybody else, play a few answers (questions?) in a mock game of Jeopardy!. Then everyone will take a fifty-question test. The questions (answers?) will be displayed at the front of the room with a voice-over from Mr. Johnny Gilbert. You'll watch some clips until the coordinators can finish checking all of the tests. You'll be notified if you passed or failed and you'll be sent on your way.

(This is from my friend who did the teen tournament audition two years ago. The process was a bit different for me in 2002... only the people who passed the test got to play the mock game. That could be because we didn't have no fancy schmancy online test back in my day.)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 09:34:50 PM by chad1m »

colonial

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 08:06:51 AM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'224116\' date=\'Aug 25 2009, 09:34 PM\']Well, I don't think just because you (may have) passed the online audition you get a free pass to Boston. You still have to get picked from the pool of people who passed and selected Boston. But, anyway, you'll fill out some forms, take a seat and, along with everybody else, play a few answers (questions?) in a mock game of Jeopardy!. Then everyone will take a fifty-question test. The questions (answers?) will be displayed at the front of the room with a voice-over from Mr. Johnny Gilbert. You'll watch some clips until the coordinators can finish checking all of the tests. You'll be notified if you passed or failed and you'll be sent on your way.[/quote]

Actually, I don't think Johnny narrates the 50-question in-person test anymore.  Last year's test was narrated by a member of the Clue Crew -- not sure if that was a one-shot deal or permanent.

Also, those who qualified for the in-person audition aren't told whether they passed or failed.  After my test in Savannah (GA) last year, we did Q-and-A with one of the contestant coordinators (she spent five minutes telling us how bad the hotel breakfast was).  After the tests were graded, we played a mock game and went home.

JD

Tony Peters

• Here is your first subject. GO!
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 10:54:19 AM »
[quote name=\'colonial\' post=\'224152\' date=\'Aug 26 2009, 07:06 AM\']After my test in Savannah (GA) last year[/quote]
What day of the week was your audition?  I auditioned in Savannah last year too, but probably on a different day (Saturday).
Sometimes I find myself missing the days when cats ruled the internet...

colonial

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 01:08:34 PM »
I auditioned on a Thursday -- I only remember because it was the last day of the GOP convention, and I had to do a great deal of schedule juggling to be at the audition.

trainman

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 10:10:14 PM »
[quote name=\'colonial\' post=\'224152\' date=\'Aug 26 2009, 05:06 AM\']Also, those who qualified for the in-person audition aren't told whether they passed or failed.[/quote]

At the one in-person audition I've had during the "online test" era, the contestant coordinators specifically told the room that we'd all "passed," i.e., that we'd all be put in the contestant pool (assuming, of course, that there wasn't a big drop-off between the online test and the in-person written test).  That makes sense, because it's exactly the way it worked before the online test -- everyone who passed the in-person written test, and thus got to stay in the room and do the interviews/mock game, was put in the contestant pool.

Okay, I guess it's possible that the coordinators are writing a code for "EPIC FAIL" on some of the info sheets, and will put those sheets in the circular file at the earliest opportunity...but they're not gonna admit that while the potential contestants are in the room.
trainman is a man of trains