Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Companies Of Mark Goodson Productions  (Read 4249 times)

nate80s

The Companies Of Mark Goodson Productions
« on: August 30, 2009, 08:31:45 PM »
Why did it seem like every Goodson-Todman game show have its own company between the mid 70s to the early 90s?  I'm talking about The Family Company, The New Family Company, and The Concentration Company for examples.  Why was this nessecary?  I thought just The Mark Goodson Productions company would be a sufficient enough name for all of the shows produced.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 08:34:22 PM »
[quote name=\'nate80s\' post=\'224490\' date=\'Aug 30 2009, 05:31 PM\']Why did it seem like every Goodson-Todman game show have its own company between the mid 70s to the early 90s?  I'm talking about The Family Company, The New Family Company, and The Concentration Company for examples.  Why was this nessecary?  I thought just The Mark Goodson Productions company would be a sufficient enough name for all of the shows produced.[/quote]My guess? Taxes or accounting.
If you didn’t create it, it isn’t your content.

BrandonFG

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 08:41:17 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'224492\' date=\'Aug 30 2009, 08:34 PM\'][quote name=\'nate80s\' post=\'224490\' date=\'Aug 30 2009, 05:31 PM\']Why did it seem like every Goodson-Todman game show have its own company between the mid 70s to the early 90s?  I'm talking about The Family Company, The New Family Company, and The Concentration Company for examples.  Why was this nessecary?  I thought just The Mark Goodson Productions company would be a sufficient enough name for all of the shows produced.[/quote]My guess? Taxes or accounting.
[/quote]
Pretty much. The show fails, just fold the "dummy company".

A lot of companies have done it with their shows; M.G.'s Crosswords was LDC Productions-I'm assuming "Let's Do Crosswords", the original title of the show, and Wheel and J! are Califon and Jeopardy Productions, respectively.

I believe Feud and Price still operate under dummy names too...

There was an interesting discussion about this on ATGS about 10 years ago. Unfortunately, Google Groups's search function sucks rocks.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 08:43:56 PM by fostergray82 »
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Chief-O

• .....and it goes like this!!!
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 08:44:39 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'224495\' date=\'Aug 30 2009, 07:41 PM\'][quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'224492\' date=\'Aug 30 2009, 08:34 PM\'][quote name=\'nate80s\' post=\'224490\' date=\'Aug 30 2009, 05:31 PM\']Why did it seem like every Goodson-Todman game show have its own company between the mid 70s to the early 90s?  I'm talking about The Family Company, The New Family Company, and The Concentration Company for examples.  Why was this nessecary?  I thought just The Mark Goodson Productions company would be a sufficient enough name for all of the shows produced.[/quote]My guess? Taxes or accounting.
[/quote]
Pretty much. The show fails, just fold the "dummy company".

A lot of companies have done it with their shows; M.G.'s Crosswords was LDC Productions-I'm assuming "Let's Do Crosswords", the original title of the show, and Wheel and J! are Califon and Jeopardy Productions, respectively.

I believe Feud and Price still operate under dummy names too...
[/quote]

1) I think Travis and Brandon are right on. Mostly accounting, tax, legal, etc. reasons.

2) TPIR is operating under "Price is Right Productions", at last check. Is Feud still operating as "Feudin' Productions"?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 08:45:25 PM by Chief-O »
There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people: Religion, politics, and the proper wrapping of microphone cables.

chad1m

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 08:50:00 PM »
[quote name=\'Chief-O\' post=\'224497\' date=\'Aug 30 2009, 08:44 PM\']Is Feud still operating as "Feudin' Productions"?[/quote]Yes indeed.

tvrandywest

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2009, 11:17:15 PM »
Liability issues in addition to accounting practices. A potential lawsuit against an individual limited liability corporation is insulated from the parent entities.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

MTCesquire

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2009, 11:47:41 PM »
So in other words, if a contestant gets called to come on down and they fall and break their leg, then feel the need to sue the show, they would name "Price is Right Productions" in the lawsuit as opposed to Fremantle?

/The lawsuit would be bogus to begin with, of course, but still...

chad1m

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 12:07:22 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'224512\' date=\'Aug 30 2009, 09:51 PM\']/The lawsuit would be bogus to begin with, of course, but still...[/quote]Michael Lerner disagrees.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2009, 01:03:15 AM »
[quote name=\'MTCesquire\' post=\'224527\' date=\'Aug 30 2009, 08:47 PM\']So in other words, if a contestant gets called to come on down and they fall and break their leg, then feel the need to sue the show, they would name "Price is Right Productions" in the lawsuit as opposed to Fremantle?

/The lawsuit would be bogus to begin with, of course, but still...[/quote]

They could name anyone they want as a defendant -- TPIR Productions LLC AM & FM, Mike Richards, Drew Carey, Cecile Frosted-Cheerios, Kathy Greco, Rocco Rossi, Clifton Fadiman, Allen Ludden, Jeremy Shamos.

OK forget the last four.

If someone fell and broke their leg it's more of a CBS issue as they own the studio (see Pennington, Janice).
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 01:06:42 AM by chris319 »

pentellit

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2009, 03:11:54 PM »
Is Rocco Rossi Phil Wayne's real name?  I knew Rossi was his real last name, but Rocco?!?!?!?

Chief-O

• .....and it goes like this!!!
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2009, 04:33:08 PM »
[quote name=\'pentellit\' post=\'224564\' date=\'Aug 31 2009, 02:11 PM\']Is Rocco Rossi Phil Wayne's real name?  I knew Rossi was his real last name, but Rocco?!?!?!?[/quote]

Rocco is Frank Wayne's real name.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 04:33:45 PM by Chief-O »
There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people: Religion, politics, and the proper wrapping of microphone cables.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2009, 09:45:34 PM »
[quote name=\'Chief-O\' post=\'224569\' date=\'Aug 31 2009, 01:33 PM\'][quote name=\'pentellit\' post=\'224564\' date=\'Aug 31 2009, 02:11 PM\']Is Rocco Rossi Phil Wayne's real name?  I knew Rossi was his real last name, but Rocco?!?!?!?[/quote]

Rocco is Frank Wayne's real name.
[/quote]
Rocco Francis Rossi, Jr. = Frank Wayne

http://www.raymartinsr.com/tinian/tributes/f-wayne/wayne.htm

Bob Zager

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2009, 05:23:00 PM »
While many of the G-T shows from the 70's-'90s used "The ___________ Company," I found on box aprons of certain G-T home games that they used a name built around "Mark Goodson/Bill Todman Productions."

Examples:

The Price is Right (original series)--MARBIL Productions
Get the Message--MARTOD Productions
Missing Links--GOTOPRO Productions
Call My Bluff--EM-BEE Productions
Snap Judgment--MANSON Productions

I think it was around 1977, when the network daytime game shows started showing the Copyright notations on the closing titles regularly.  The syndicated shows had been doing that for some time before that.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2009, 07:42:14 PM »
Missing Links--GOTOPRO Productions
Well Bob, you may have just solved a mystery.

There was a music publishing/holding/whatever company set up after the sale of MGP called "TOGO Music" which I suppose held some part of the assets formerly held by G-T Associates. TOGO could be short for TODMAN-GOODSON.

Or not.