Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Any Current/Former Nielsen Families Here?  (Read 4404 times)

TimK2003

Any Current/Former Nielsen Families Here?
« on: September 01, 2009, 09:17:25 AM »
Is there anybody out there who had the opportunity to be a Nielsen Ratings Family for a week or more?  And if so:

1)  When were you a "family"?
2)  Did you support certain (game) shows without watching them (i.e. said you watched them even though you didn't, for whatever reasons)?

Me:

1) March, 1988 (at my college dorm).

2) Unfortunately, this was a period of slim pickings for game shows on non-cable TV.  I think the only shows that were on in daytime were Blackout, TPiR, and Classic Concentration.  Syndicated in our market, besides the Wheel & J! combo, I think there was Davidson Squares & the Dating/Newlywed alternative.  I know I put down Blackout, Squares and Price, but favored the Barris shows over the Griffins in the 7-8 slot.

Super Password, and many of the other syndies were not seen in the Toledo market at the time, and it was darn near impossible to pick up the Detroit stations in our part of the dorm to try to make up for that loss.

FWIW, I received a postcard that I will be a Nielsen Family soon.  I hope its in a few more weeks once the new season kicks into high gear!!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 09:19:37 AM by TimK2003 »

snowpeck

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 09:27:12 AM »
So you were the one person that Nielsen recorded as watching Blackout... anyway...

My family did it a couple of times... once unethically.

First time was in around 1991.. we got two diaries.  We must have answered on some survey that we had two TVs even though only one actually worked.  I was only 6 or 7 at the time, so I didn't get to have any sayso on how it was filled out.  I do know that anything my family timeshifted while they were at work or asleep got logged.

Second time was I think in early 2008.  Got 3 books this time for the three TVs my family owned.  Only problem was that I worked at a TV station at the time.  I didn't send my book back in, but my parents did.

Greg
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 09:36:02 AM by snowpeck »
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

TimK2003

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 09:36:17 AM »
[quote name=\'snowpeck\' post=\'224657\' date=\'Sep 1 2009, 09:27 AM\']So you were the one [color=\"#FF0000\"]7,500[/color]person[color=\"#FF0000\"](s)[/color] that Nielson recorded as watching Blackout... anyway...[/quote]

ISTR someone telling me that my one diary represented about 7500 people back then.  Don't know if that number was true, but at least when watching Blackout, I wasn't alone!!! :)

Gameshowcrackers

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 02:41:55 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'224658\' date=\'Sep 1 2009, 08:36 AM\'][quote name=\'snowpeck\' post=\'224657\' date=\'Sep 1 2009, 09:27 AM\']So you were the one [color=\"#FF0000\"]7,500[/color]person[color=\"#FF0000\"](s)[/color] that Nielson recorded as watching Blackout... anyway...[/quote]

ISTR someone telling me that my one diary represented about 7500 people back then.  Don't know if that number was true, but at least when watching Blackout, I wasn't alone!!! :)
[/quote]

I don't think they use the diary system anymore. They measure viewing habits electronically using a set top box which is attached to your TV.
This is Gameshowcrackers speaking for The Game Show Forum, a Mark Goodson Television Production

Ian Wallis

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 03:33:52 PM »
Somehow I got on the list when I was relatively young.  I got a diary for a week in 1979.  Oddly enough, I was sick a couple of days that week and stayed home from school on the Monday and Tuesday.  I made sure that I put down All-Star Secrets one day and Whew the next at 10:30!

Of course I put down that I watched all the game shows.  I'd like to think I might have made a bit of a difference towards keeping them on a bit longer!  Would love to do it again sometime.  Both my wife and I also got a radio one during the mid'90s.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 04:11:49 PM »
[quote name=\'Gameshowcrackers\' post=\'224670\' date=\'Sep 1 2009, 01:41 PM\']I don't think they use the diary system anymore. They measure viewing habits electronically using a set top box which is attached to your TV.[/quote]I used a diary as recently as May 2008.  I was asked to fill out a diary for one week, presumably for sweeps.  I got $35 cash for doing so; not sure what the going rate is for doing it full time.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

tvmitch

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 04:26:29 PM »
[quote name=\'Gameshowcrackers\' post=\'224670\' date=\'Sep 1 2009, 02:41 PM\']I don't think they use the diary system anymore. They measure viewing habits electronically using a set top box which is attached to your TV.[/quote]
This depends solely on the market. My station in market #39 (was #41 until recently) still employs diaries due to the geography of the area, as well as other factors.

Most of the major top 30-40 markets do use Local People Meters these days, though. The difference is that the LPM markets can access ratings information the next day, while we still rely on the quarterly sweeps periods to set ad rates and gauge viewership.

Also, for the love of Pete, do not post in this semi-public forum that you lied or did something unethical while being a Nielsen family. You don't know who reads these boards, and many, many people's livelihoods live and die by a couple ratings points, especially in smaller markets.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 04:30:05 PM by mitchgroff »
You should follow me on Twitter

DrBear

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2009, 04:57:25 PM »
CAUTION LONG POST AHEAD:
Here's a column I did during our time as a Nielsen family:
Don't like what's on? You can blame me
November 28, 2003

I have a confession to make. My wife and I are a Nielsen family.
At least, we were this week. Our jottings in a little diary will help decide the future of television.
Heaven help us all. Or y'all, as my wise Georgia wife would say. To twist a line from Fox News, "I decide, you watch."
It was a heavy responsibility, one that would have weighed upon us had we not fallen asleep in our chairs.
It started a few weeks ago with a call from the Nielsen folks. A nice lady asked if we'd keep a diary of our TV viewing. As much out of curiosity as a need for the $5 they send (in singles), I agreed.
The diaries arrived a week later. They list every hour of a week, broken down into 15-minute increments. Watch a show for at least five minutes, it gets entered. Mark when the TV's on, off, or on with nobody watching. (I have a feeling that happens a lot.)
And there's a separate line for each viewer; male head of household, female head of household (does that get a lot of use when "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy" is on?), and extra blanks for kids, visitors and, I guess, people who look through your window.
What's weird is that they have chosen two abnormal viewers. I'm not one to sit down and watch a movie or a long drama. Instead of feasting, I graze; a nibble here, a nibble there. Most women would identify me as a typical male, afraid to give up his control of the clicker, lest disaster happen.
And with digital cable, there's a lot of grazing territory. I roam the vast telegenic plains, finding morsels here and there, turning away from the poison of Lifetime Real Women or the rotting carcass of QVC's Diamonique Hour, occasionally stopping from hunger to devour a "Simpsons" rerun.
My wife, on the other hand, has a thing for real crime - the type of things that fill Court TV or the late hours of MSNBC. She decompresses with cute cuddlies on Animal Planet.
It's a good thing we have separate lines in the diary, or the folks from the Mental Health Center might be looking for me. (As if these columns weren't enough of a tipoff.)
We come close enough on some things to stay peaceful (bull riding has animals for her, the possibility of random violence for me) and she grants me Packers games as I grant her long stretches of country music videos.
All this ended Wednesday, as we entered the last item in the diary, sealed it and sent it to a faroff land with people who have to read my scratching. If they don't ... well, heaven only knows what you'll be seeing next year.
I've always been a little worried about the rating system. As somebody once said, "if one Nielsen family shuts off the set and goes to visit its grandmother, does that mean a million other families are shutting off the sets and visiting their grandmothers?"
And yes, there was temptation. Part of me wanted to spend the week exploring PBS, staring blank-eyed at Bravo, or otherwise acting cultural. But if I had, it wouldn't have been right - and frankly, I couldn't have taken much more of those pledge drives.
So it was strictly middlebrow - no opera, but no Smackdown! either. And, thank goodness, no infomercials.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

snowpeck

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2009, 06:39:09 PM »
When my family did it in 2008 it was diaries and it was only a couple dollars per diary.  Market #91 (Tri-Cities, TN/VA).

Greg
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 06:40:32 PM by snowpeck »
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

toetyper

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2009, 07:09:34 PM »
[quote name=\'Gameshowcrackers\' post=\'224670\' date=\'Sep 1 2009, 02:41 PM\']I don't think they use the diary system anymore. They measure viewing habits electronically using a set top box which is attached to your TV.[/quote]

[johnmclaughlin] WRONG [/johnmclaughlin]

I was a nielsen family this  may and  we had a diary

robsearson

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2009, 08:10:46 PM »
[quote name=\'snowpeck\' post=\'224687\' date=\'Sep 1 2009, 06:39 PM\']When my family did it in 2008 it was diaries and it was only a couple dollars per diary.  Market #91 (Tri-Cities, TN/VA).

Greg[/quote]

It must vary by location or some other criteria.
My in-laws were a Nielsen family about a decade ago (Cleveland OH), and they had the set-top boxen back then; three TVs, three Nielsen boxes.  My amused and bemused father-in-law told me the story of Nielsen guys showing up at the house in three identical unmarked Tauruses early one morning and spending the entire day wiring the house and connecting it all to a dedicated phone line.  A couple months later he called in to report a problem with one of the Nielsen boxes, and they showed up almost immediately.  If memory serves, it lasted about a year or so, then a similar crew showed up to rip everything out.

DrBear

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2009, 09:08:29 PM »
I'm reasonably sure it's based on market size. Larger markets get the "overnight" boxes; smaller ones get the diaries.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

trainman

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2009, 10:38:50 PM »
[quote name=\'DrBear\' post=\'224698\' date=\'Sep 1 2009, 06:08 PM\']I'm reasonably sure it's based on market size. Larger markets get the "overnight" boxes; smaller ones get the diaries.[/quote]

They use diaries even in the "overnight" markets, to supplement the electronic metering.

I got a diary for a week in the summer of 1999, which was the most boring week in the history of television.  Only show I fudged was "Mystery Science Theater 3000" on the Sci-Fi Channel.  Didn't help.
trainman is a man of trains

snowpeck

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2009, 07:37:57 AM »
I'm apparently now in a metered market (#59) because we get overnight ratings emailed to us every morning.

Greg

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2009, 09:59:13 AM »
[quote name=\'trainman\' post=\'224701\' date=\'Sep 1 2009, 09:38 PM\']I got a diary for a week in the summer of 1999, which was the most boring week in the history of television.[/quote]
That would help explain why Millionaire took off as quickly as it did.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 09:59:27 AM by Mr. Armadillo »