Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Another Catch-21 Question  (Read 3081 times)

That Don Guy

Another Catch-21 Question
« on: September 07, 2009, 10:45:38 PM »
Just what are the rules on when you can freeze?

I see that only the player that answered the question can freeze (note this is different from Gambit, where only the couple that ended up with the card could freeze), and that you can freeze after keeping the card or before you even see the card, but can you freeze after seeing the card but before deciding who gets it?

(And just how many times does the end game end up with the player stopping with 21-21-19 and the next card is a 2, whereas 21-21-18-3 and 21-21-17-4 apparently pretty much never happen?)

-- Don

Loogaroo

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 07:38:28 AM »
Based on my playing, the only times you're allowed to freeze is either before a draw or after accepting a card you drew yourself. You could not freeze in any situation in in which a player gave a card to an opponent, whether you were giving the card or receiving it. You'll notice that Alphonso never even bothers to ask the player giving away the card whether he wants to freeze in those situations.
You're in a room. You're wearing a silly hat.
There are letters on the floor. They spell "NOPE".

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 08:22:54 AM »
I'll be honest, there's a lot of that which doesn't seem right to me, but I'm too confused by it to be able to figure out what the problem is.  I do know I dislike the fact that when there's only one player left, they drop the need to answer the questions.  In general, it reminds me a lot of the efforts to change Pyramid, both the Donny version and the even worse pilots.  Change for change sake.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

WhammyPower

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 10:59:44 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'225334\' date=\'Sep 8 2009, 07:22 AM\']I'll be honest, there's a lot of that which doesn't seem right to me, but I'm too confused by it to be able to figure out what the problem is.  I do know I dislike the fact that when there's only one player left, they drop the need to answer the questions.  In general, it reminds me a lot of the efforts to change Pyramid, both the Donny version and the even worse pilots.  Change for change sake.[/quote]
Hmm.. what if answering the question correctly gave you the choice of keeping the next card or passing on it, but answering incorrectly forced you to take it?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 11:47:40 AM »
[quote name=\'WhammyPower\' post=\'225342\' date=\'Sep 8 2009, 07:59 AM\']Hmm.. what if answering the question correctly gave you the choice of keeping the next card or passing on it, but answering incorrectly forced you to take it?[/quote]
Then that's even more contrived and silly.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

That Don Guy

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 03:42:49 PM »
[quote name=\'WhammyPower\' post=\'225342\' date=\'Sep 8 2009, 07:59 AM\'][quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'225334\' date=\'Sep 8 2009, 07:22 AM\']I'll be honest, there's a lot of that which doesn't seem right to me, but I'm too confused by it to be able to figure out what the problem is.  I do know I dislike the fact that when there's only one player left, they drop the need to answer the questions.  In general, it reminds me a lot of the efforts to change Pyramid, both the Donny version and the even worse pilots.  Change for change sake.[/quote]
Hmm.. what if answering the question correctly gave you the choice of keeping the next card or passing on it, but answering incorrectly forced you to take it?
[/quote]
Then somebody with an 11 would buzz in as soon as the host started asking the question.

-- Don

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 04:50:34 PM »
[quote name=\'That Don Guy\' post=\'225371\' date=\'Sep 8 2009, 03:42 PM\']Then somebody with an 11 would buzz in as soon as the host started asking the question.[/quote]

He meant in a solo player situation, where unlike Gambit, they drop the questions. I agree with Chris, that suggestion is convoluted. Catch 21 in general is pretty flawed, but the biggest grievance I have is with the contestant selection. The bonus game is neat, though.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2009, 10:38:22 PM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' post=\'225380\' date=\'Sep 8 2009, 04:50 PM\']The bonus game is neat, though.[/quote]
QFT.  I'm not one of those who thinks remakes necessarily have to slavishly hew to the original format. I just think a lot of that original format stuff worked for a reason, and when you tamper without considering those reasons, you make an inferior product.

/Having said that, the bonus round of the original show wasn't so bad either.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2009, 11:25:18 PM »
[quote name=\'WhammyPower\' post=\'225342\' date=\'Sep 8 2009, 07:59 AM\']Hmm.. what if answering the question correctly gave you the choice of keeping the next card or passing on it, but answering incorrectly forced you to take it?[/quote]Really? Did you even remember the object of the show before posting this?

Catch-21's problem is similar to that of Lingo. 21 is nominally about making the best blackjack hand, and Lingo is supposed to be about filling your lingo card. But that's not how you win. The questions on 21 are worth far more than winning either of the first rounds. If I was on the show, I would spam my opponents with cards as much as possible, just to keep the round going and getting more points for myself. And if you're behind and you get a question right, you're in a great position.

I don't understand why the show was changed so drastically: Lingo works just fine with couples, certainly 21 could have. Whoever wins the most rounds goes on to the $25,000 final. No fuss, no muss.
Travis L. Eberle