Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: One of those fun little posts where you add things  (Read 2027 times)

Adam Nedeff

One of those fun little posts where you add things
« on: November 02, 2003, 10:20:05 PM »
OK, maybe it won't be remotely fun but I figured what the hey.

I was at Matt O's home game page today looking at the catalog ad for the Tattletales game that never was, and one of the things I noticed was a delibrate effort to make the game look like part of the show's set, which I thought was nice for, well, atmosphere I guess.

It got me thinking and I came up with a small list...Game show home games where the included game pieces looked something like the actual show. But first, what doesn't count? Game pieces that absolutely had to look like what they were modeled after; Wheel of Fortune's wheel wouldn't count for example, because that's a neccesity, but the puzzle board included in the 1980s version would get a nod because it didn't have to look like the board from the show, but it did anyway.

Here's what I conjured up:

Password Plus (puzzle board)

The Joker's Wild ("Joker Machine" for lack of a better term)

Joker! Joker!! Joker!!! ("Joker Machine")

The Price is Right (all but the 1999 edition had good recreations of the game designs)

High Rollers 1974 (Numbers board)

Jeopardy! 1999 (Gameboard was a necessity, but designing the slides to look like monitors was a great "extra" from Parker Bros.' design department)

The $10,000 Pyramid (Winner's Circle board)

Wheel of Fortune 1980s (forementioned puzzle board)

Family Feud (game board for all pre-1998 editions)

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2003, 10:43:19 PM »
All righty. Here's what I can conjure up:

"Jackpot" had the Super Jackpot thing done pretty well.

"Hollywood Squares" in its most recent release had a very nice tic-tac-toe grid with 3-D celebrity desks.

"Let's Make a Deal" had that nice modular item with door patterns modeled after the show.

"Pay Cards" deck was based on that of the show...that's cool. :)

The new "Pyramid" game uses a shot of the actual game pyramid to look better.

It doesn't necessarily fit the theme, but I'd be remiss in not mentioning the cover to "Remote Control" because it was so neato.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

DJDustman

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2003, 12:33:45 PM »
The Deluxe Wheel of Fortune Games from 1986 can resemble a lot of the set.  That is one of the best Game Show based board game there is...

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2003, 01:28:19 PM »
[quote name=\'DJDustman\' date=\'Nov 3 2003, 12:33 PM\']The Deluxe Wheel of Fortune Games from 1986 can resemble a lot of the set.  That is one of the best Game Show based board game there is...[/quote]
Heck, the Free Spins looked better than the ones on the show (at the time).

(Is sadly missing many parts of his Deluxe WoF set)
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2003, 03:33:06 PM »
Heck, the Free Spins looked better than the ones on the show (at the time).

Which reminds me of another: the most recent "Wheel" board game (20th anniversary) has free spin token like those on the show - green with "SPIN" in the board font (I think) and a stylized "Free" on either side.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck