Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: SNL - Aural "Comfort Food"  (Read 4912 times)

GSFan

SNL - Aural "Comfort Food"
« on: September 26, 2009, 11:53:17 PM »
The only reason I wanted to watch the premiere of SNL was to find out if the retirement he hinted at last May actually happened.  To quote John Belushi, "BUT NOOOOOOOO!"  Don Pardo is on the air tonight.  I can check that one off my list of signs that things are alright in the world.
March 26, 2023 - 50 years of Pyramid!

Chief-O

• .....and it goes like this!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009, 12:18:03 AM »
Somehow, I have reason to believe he's recording his VO's now. Considering all he has to do is the intro, Weekend Update, and the "next week" bumper, it's quite possible that he can have that recorded in a remote studio [maybe even a home studio?] and have it sent to NYC.
There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people: Religion, politics, and the proper wrapping of microphone cables.

GSFan

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 02:26:56 AM »
[quote name=\'Chief-O\' post=\'226949\' date=\'Sep 27 2009, 12:18 AM\']Somehow, I have reason to believe he's recording his VO's now. Considering all he has to do is the intro, Weekend Update, and the "next week" bumper, it's quite possible that he can have that recorded in a remote studio [maybe even a home studio?] and have it sent to NYC.[/quote]

Yes, the Wikipedia entry says he did that upon his move to Arizona in 2006; but the producers "insisted they needed him in Studio 8H."  I've even heard a rumor he's taken up residence at the Blaine Hotel in NYC; the hot spot mentioned frequently in the first two years of SNL.

Here, there; it was good to hear his voice introducing the show.
March 26, 2023 - 50 years of Pyramid!

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 10:17:50 AM »
[quote name=\'GSFan\' post=\'226951\' date=\'Sep 27 2009, 02:26 AM\']but the producers "insisted they needed him in Studio 8H."[/quote]
"Producers" makes it seem vaguely general.  It was Lorne Michaels personally who was so desperate to keep Pardo at the mike.

You're not the only one who wanted specifically to catch the opening announce.  (Sadly, I fell asleep before the new girl's f-bomb.) And yeah, if I'm guessing, I'm going with the idea that they've gone back to having him record his part in Arizona.  Just happy it's still him, unless Darrell Hammond's impression has gotten a lot better.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

dale_grass

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 11:38:38 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'226955\' date=\'Sep 27 2009, 09:17 AM\']You're not the only one who wanted specifically to catch the opening announce.  (Sadly, I fell asleep before the new girl's f-bomb.) And yeah, if I'm guessing, I'm going with the idea that they've gone back to having him record his part in Arizona.  Just happy it's still him, unless Darrell Hammond's impression has gotten a lot better.[/quote]
I, too, missed the opening, but was pleased to hear Pardo doing the intro for Update (but isn't THAT intro recorded?).  When the friggin' new girl dropped the F-bomb during Biker Chick Chat, it was friggin' deer-in-headlights, man.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 11:38:50 AM by dale_grass »

pentellit

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2009, 12:51:52 PM »
[quote name=\'dale_grass\' post=\'226957\' date=\'Sep 27 2009, 08:38 AM\']When the friggin' new girl dropped the F-bomb during Biker Chick Chat, it was friggin' deer-in-headlights, man.[/quote]
And how long do we bet it will take that to make YouTube!  Or has it...?  

Oh, as Rosanne Rosanadana would say..."Nevermind."

omgenghis

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2009, 01:10:05 PM »
She joins Paul Schaefer, Charles Rocket and Norm McDonald in this glorious tradition.

chad1m

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2009, 01:11:25 PM »
Aww. I'm now sad that I muted that sketch knowing it would just be a bunch of friggin's in annoying voices. See it here while it's still up.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 01:13:39 PM by chad1m »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2009, 02:37:23 PM »
[quote name=\'dale_grass\' post=\'226957\' date=\'Sep 27 2009, 08:38 AM\']When the friggin' new girl dropped the F-bomb during Biker Chick Chat, it was friggin' deer-in-headlights, man.[/quote]
See, I heard that, and thought "Whaaaaa? No, I MUSTA misheard that, it was just another "freakin', right?" (I was in bed and couldn't check via TiVo.) So it is both good and terribly amusing to know that my ears still work.

(Really, I'm surprised it made it into the West Coast feed. Usually that shiat is edited out by the time it gets to us. Only thing I can think is that they said "fark it, it airs after midnight.")
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

chad1m

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2009, 02:38:53 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'226963\' date=\'Sep 27 2009, 02:37 PM\'](Really, I'm surprised it made it into the West Coast feed)[/quote]Actually, NBC via the AP claim that it didn't. "NBC declined to comment on the incident, other than to say the word had been restored to the intended "freakin'" for the show's replays in western time zones."

clemon79

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2009, 02:45:54 PM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'226964\' date=\'Sep 27 2009, 11:38 AM\']"NBC declined to comment on the incident, other than to say the word had been restored to the intended "freakin'" for the show's replays in western time zones."[/quote]
Well, I got news for 'em. :)

(It is, I suppose, also possible that KING records the East Coast feed and airs that instead of running the West Coast feed live from network. Actually, now I'm curious to see if my Tivo grabbed it anyhow. Unlikely, but let me check...nope. Darn.)

/Approves
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 02:48:17 PM by clemon79 »

inturnaround

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2009, 03:23:40 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'226955\' date=\'Sep 27 2009, 10:17 AM\']And yeah, if I'm guessing, I'm going with the idea that they've gone back to having him record his part in Arizona.  Just happy it's still him, unless Darrell Hammond's impression has gotten a lot better.[/quote]

Hammond wasn't on last night's show and he wasn't credited as a cast member in the opening montage. It's odd because he was on the last two weeks of Weekend Update Thursday.
Joe Coughlin     
Human

clemon79

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2009, 03:26:45 PM »
[quote name=\'inturnaround\' post=\'226968\' date=\'Sep 27 2009, 12:23 PM\']Hammond wasn't on last night's show and he wasn't credited as a cast member in the opening montage. It's odd because he was on the last two weeks of Weekend Update Thursday.[/quote]
Yes, because he retired at the end of last season. Were the Weekend Updates repeats?

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2009, 03:31:06 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'226969\' date=\'Sep 27 2009, 02:26 PM\'][quote name=\'inturnaround\' post=\'226968\' date=\'Sep 27 2009, 12:23 PM\']Hammond wasn't on last night's show and he wasn't credited as a cast member in the opening montage. It's odd because he was on the last two weeks of Weekend Update Thursday.[/quote]
Yes, because he retired at the end of last season. Were the Weekend Updates repeats?
[/quote]
No.  The Updates were new.

Hammond was most likely guesting (much like Amy Poehler was to coanchor with Seth Meyers).
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 03:33:00 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Casey Buck

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2009, 03:31:36 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'226965\' date=\'Sep 27 2009, 11:45 AM\'](It is, I suppose, also possible that KING records the East Coast feed and airs that instead of running the West Coast feed live from network.[/quote]

According to someone on radio-info.com's boards, KING did indeed air the sketch with F-bomb intact. Apparently, they end their 11 PM newscast at 11:35 on Saturday nights rather than at 11:29, so they have to air a recorded East Coast feed, rather than the live West Coast feed.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 03:32:11 PM by Casey Buck »