Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Cullen Price gameplay  (Read 1527 times)

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Cullen Price gameplay
« on: September 30, 2009, 10:47:16 PM »
I've had trouble getting my head around just how you play Cullen's Price with the multiple bidding rounds. I tried coming at it from a few angles. If I know the price, and just bid what I think it costs, then everybody has to either go under that and freeze, or go higher than me and continue that whole charade. If I start low like the players on the air did, but still with a price in mind, I run the risk of losing my best bid. So if you have an idea in mind, why do the whole game of inching up and up? Is there something to trying to push your opponents too far, or force them into a bad bid that I'm not seeing?

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Cullen Price gameplay
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 12:32:14 AM »
Part of the reason is that the game was conceived with the original title of The Auctioneer. If you were to have the players just go down the line, or just write down their bids, that would be way less interesting. Not only that, but if you have four drawn-out rounds with extravagant prizes, that's better remembered than twelve rounds of mundane stuff.

(And who ever complained about the rules being convoluted or strange? The magazine articles were always about the nifty stuff that was available.)
Travis L. Eberle

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Cullen Price gameplay
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 01:09:01 AM »
And in watching YouTube clips to try to understand these rules and pin them down (because internet resources are conflicting with one other), this clip seems to confirm underbidding is only permissible on the first turn. Which means, if I think a prize is $4,000, and I bid 3500, with the bids after me going 3700, 3900 and 4100, I can't bid $4,000 anymore. As a fair game, it would make more sense to me to make any underbid an automatic freeze - not just on the first turn.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Adam Nedeff

Cullen Price gameplay
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 02:42:26 AM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' post=\'227277\' date=\'Sep 30 2009, 09:47 PM\']Is there something to trying to push your opponents too far, or force them into a bad bid that I'm not seeing?

-Jason[/quote]
Well, there's that, but I recall a GSN rerun where Bill pretty much summed up the whole idea of those gradual increasing bids: "Play the game like you're spending your own money." Instead of just estimating what seems like the right price range, you're zeroing in because you're thinking to yourself, "Yes, I'd pay $500 for that...Yes, that's worth $800...Ooh, $1150? I dunno if it's worth $1150." That way, you're actually seriously thinking about what the item is worth for each bid that you place, and when you get to the point where you think, "I wouldn't pay THAT much" you stop bidding because you're close to the price now.

Which means, if I think a prize is $4,000, and I bid 3500, with the bids after me going 3700, 3900 and 4100, I can't bid $4,000 anymore.
So you freeze at $3500 when it comes back to you. And then your three greedy opponents continue their bids until they're at $6000, $7000, and $8000, and you win anyway. And what if, during the course of the bids, you took a closer look at that prize and decided, "Wait, that's not $4000." You have the freedom to change your mind. You don't have that if you go straight to "the best bid."

And who ever complained about the rules being convoluted or strange?

MAD Magazine, December 1959. Here's Bill Culon explaining the rules for "The Price is All Right":
"The rules of the game are simple. The guest whose bid comes closest to the actual retail price without going over it wins the item. Each guest bids until the buzzer sounds, and each bid must be higher than the preceding bid. Except for the first bid. Or for a one-bid item. When the buzzer sounds, each guest makes a final bid. Unless he decides to freeze. Should a guest freeze, he cannot go higher. And vice-versa. And he cannot pass Go. And he cannot collect $200. And he cannot understand these rules!"

(Thanks, Matt!)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 02:42:44 AM by Adam Nedeff »

Neumms

Cullen Price gameplay
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 01:45:31 PM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' post=\'227300\' date=\'Oct 1 2009, 12:09 AM\']And in watching YouTube clips to try to understand these rules and pin them down (because internet resources are conflicting with one other), this clip seems to confirm underbidding is only permissible on the first turn. Which means, if I think a prize is $4,000, and I bid 3500, with the bids after me going 3700, 3900 and 4100, I can't bid $4,000 anymore. As a fair game, it would make more sense to me to make any underbid an automatic freeze - not just on the first turn.[/quote]

The fairness comes in that each player starts the bidding once each show. And if you thought it was $4000, you should have said $4000 to begin with. Also, they often had a rule that you couldn't bid within so many dollars of another player, to keep you from going up by $1. I wonder if they considered that for the New Price Is Right, or if they have since.