Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Another fun list...  (Read 4472 times)

Kevin Prather

Another fun list...
« on: November 03, 2003, 09:50:30 PM »
Professionally made and distributed Game Show home games with goofs in them.

(I can only think of one.)

Who Wants To Be a Millionaire? 1st edition: A million-dollar question reads

"What power did the mythical Philosopher's Stone hold?  A: It can find water  B: (Something else that i can't remember)   C: It can turn lead into gold   D: It can grant eternal life"

The game says that C is the right answer, but if I remember my Harry Potter, both C and D are correct.

Anyone have any to add?

zachhoran

Another fun list...
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2003, 10:12:31 PM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Nov 3 2003, 09:50 PM\'] Professionally made and distributed Game Show home games with goofs in them.

"What power did the mythical Philosopher's Stone hold?  A: It can find water  B: (Something else that i can't remember)   C: It can turn lead into gold   D: It can grant eternal life"

The game says that C is the right answer, but if I remember my Harry Potter, both C and D are correct.

Anyone have any to add? [/quote]
 Joker Joker Joker included no $1 or $5 bills in play money, but had $25 and $75 bonus round cards, meaning the player possibly could not be paid the exact amount.

The 3rd edition TPIR home game in 1975 has a Big Wheel spinner which includes two 75 cent spaces, and no 15 cent space.

There are bugs in the 1990 TPIR home computer game, the most notable one is that the third Big Wheel spinner is forced to spin again on 1.00.

One of the 80s Wheel home games has as the puzzle Void Where Prohibited By Law, but there are no blanks on the puzzle sheet under the letters in By Law.

One of the Feud home games has a Fast Money answer with a score of one, something you would never see on the show.

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
Another fun list...
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2003, 10:15:12 PM »
The stone doesn't grant eternal life.  It creates a liquid that grants eternal life.  Small difference, but enough to render that answer incorrect.

This is why you shouldn't use Harry Potter as the source for study of ancient mythology.
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

Kevin Prather

Another fun list...
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2003, 10:54:21 PM »
ahh. okay.

GS Warehouse

Another fun list...
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2003, 11:43:51 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Nov 3 2003, 10:12 PM\'] Joker Joker Joker included no $1 or $5 bills in play money, but had $25 and $75 bonus round cards, meaning the player possibly could not be paid the exact amount. [/quote]
 Umm, I have the JJJ game, so I know that it did include $5 bills.

TonicBH

Another fun list...
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2003, 12:02:32 AM »
I remember from the Tyco WOF 1992 board game (first edition) when the puzzle was "BACK TO THE FUTURE", on the "A" slide, showed no number (to signify where the A is).
You Found a Secret Area: The place where I write about dumb game show and video game stuff occasionally.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Another fun list...
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2003, 12:58:58 AM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Nov 3 2003, 09:50 PM\'] Professionally made and distributed Game Show home games with goofs in them.

Anyone have any to add? [/quote]
 One that I dispute is the question on Popsicles...asking which is the most popular flavor?  I can't see orange winning the poll...

And we don't need to mention the gaffe's by Endless in the TPiR gamae.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

LA the DJ

Another fun list...
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2003, 03:10:46 AM »
While not exactly errors, the Ideal TTD home game contains many questions that are so vague or poorly written that they could have more answers than the one listed.
Help control the moron population, if you know a moron, kick him in a strategic location.

aaron sica

Another fun list...
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2003, 07:48:53 AM »
The only one I can think of:

The $25,000 Pyramid box game (Cardinal, 1986) - with the poorly-blackened out:

"RULES FOR THE $25,000 and $1,000,000 PYRAMID"

heading the top of the rulesheet.

zachhoran

Another fun list...
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2003, 09:33:05 AM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Nov 3 2003, 11:43 PM\'] [quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Nov 3 2003, 10:12 PM\'] Joker Joker Joker included no $1 or $5 bills in play money, but had $25 and $75 bonus round cards, meaning the player possibly could not be paid the exact amount. [/quote]
Umm, I have the JJJ game, so I know that it did include $5 bills. [/quote]
 I remember my copy didn't, so maybe that error didn't apply to all JJJ games made.

The 1986 TPIR game had players using the "pricers" that game with the game for IUFBs, some PGs, and the showcases. The prices only had room for four digits, and according to their showcase rules some combinations of prizes could total over $10K(the game did say to announce that there is a 1 in front of the other numbers when that occurred). The 1999 Endless "remake" of that game only came with one pricer instead of the four pricers the 1986 MB game had.

The TJW/JJJ games allowed for an occurrence we never saw on the actual show: More than one devil could appear in a "spin" on the bonus game, as one devil was in each of the three decks of "prize cards"

Mike Tennant

Another fun list...
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2003, 10:26:56 AM »
According to Mr. Ottinger, the original home version of High Rollers had the strangest set of questions ever composed for a game show adaptation (or, perhaps, for any trivia game), featuring such questions as "What is to gossip?"  (Answer:  Reach) and "What is that woman?"  (Her).

These days, of course, the answer to the latter question would be Monica Lewinsky.

Matt Ottinger

Another fun list...
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2003, 10:43:16 AM »
[quote name=\'Mike Tennant\' date=\'Nov 4 2003, 11:26 AM\'] According to Mr. Ottinger, the original home version of High Rollers had the strangest set of questions ever composed for a game show adaptation (or, perhaps, for any trivia game), featuring such questions as "What is to gossip?"  (Answer:  Reach) and "What is that woman?"  (Her). [/quote]
 It's truly a surreal quiz book.  More examples are here:
http://userdata.acd.net/ottinger/inside/rollers/index.html
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

TonicBH

Another fun list...
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2003, 01:54:18 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Nov 4 2003, 07:48 AM\'] The only one I can think of:

heading the top of the rulesheet. [/quote]
 my version has it corrected ("RULES FOR THE $25,000 AND $100,000 PYRAMID"). It must've been in original prints.
You Found a Secret Area: The place where I write about dumb game show and video game stuff occasionally.

Jay Temple

Another fun list...
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2003, 12:13:59 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Nov 4 2003, 06:48 AM\'] The only one I can think of:

heading the top of the rulesheet. [/quote]
 Maybe they were prescient enough to know that a $1,000,000 Pyramid would be attempted but not prescient enough to know that it wouldn't make it to the air.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

zachhoran

Another fun list...
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2003, 12:37:22 PM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' date=\'Nov 5 2003, 12:13 PM\']
Maybe they were prescient enough to know that a $1,000,000 Pyramid would be attempted but not prescient enough to know that it wouldn't make it to the air. [/quote]
 Or maybe the folks at Cardinal confused it with the Million Dollar Chance of a Lifetime home game they produced around the same time. That game paled in comparison to the Pyramid home game(the Cardinal Pyramid bonus round was the actual WC round from the show, unlike the eight MB games of the 70s)