Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Traveling to L.A./Hotels  (Read 2841 times)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Traveling to L.A./Hotels
« on: October 15, 2009, 07:53:14 AM »
I am provisionally planning at trip to Los Angeles next year to see, among other things, The Price is Right.  Many sites, such as Priceline only let you choose your hotel from certain areas.

Which areas are desirable (e.g. safe and clean; not necessarily nearby) to stay in?

Thanks in advance for any guidance.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

BrandonFG

Traveling to L.A./Hotels
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 09:23:25 AM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'228543\' date=\'Oct 15 2009, 07:53 AM\']I am provisionally planning at trip to Los Angeles next year to see, among other things, The Price is Right.  Many sites, such as Priceline only let you choose your hotel from certain areas.

Which areas are desirable (e.g. safe and clean; not necessarily nearby) to stay in?

Thanks in advance for any guidance.[/quote]
When I was there, I stayed at the Comfort Inn on Vermont Ave. Nice inexpensive hotel (my trip came to about $650, including airfare, hotel and rental car for one week), but they charged out the ying-yang for everything, including parking and Internet (you have to pay for parking upfront)...oh, and the Internet was somewhat spotty. It's near Koreatown and downtown L.A., not to mention Dodger Stadium. Unfortunately, I visited on a week when nothing was taping (I think Price had just wrapped up for the season, and I missed Wheel/J! by a day), so, I can't tell you how close that is to TV City. However, it's about 20 minutes from NBC's Burbank studio, not to mention Universal.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 09:24:09 AM by fostergray82 »
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

cmjb13

Traveling to L.A./Hotels
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 10:07:32 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'228547\' date=\'Oct 15 2009, 09:23 AM\'][quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'228543\' date=\'Oct 15 2009, 07:53 AM\']I am provisionally planning at trip to Los Angeles next year to see, among other things, The Price is Right.  Many sites, such as Priceline only let you choose your hotel from certain areas.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.[/quote]
When I was there, I stayed at the Comfort Inn on Vermont Ave. Nice inexpensive hotel (my trip came to about $650, including airfare, hotel and rental car for one week), but they charged out the ying-yang for everything, including parking and Internet (you have to pay for parking upfront)...oh, and the Internet was somewhat spotty. It's near Koreatown and downtown L.A., not to mention Dodger Stadium. Unfortunately, I visited on a week when nothing was taping (I think Price had just wrapped up for the season, and I missed Wheel/J! by a day), so, I can't tell you how close that is to TV City. However, it's about 20 minutes from NBC's Burbank studio, not to mention Universal.
[/quote]
I've stayed at the Comfort Inn on Vermont as well as the Comfort Inn on Comfort Inn @ 2717 West Sunset Blvd. I believe the one on Sunset is cheaper. Not the greatest area, but never felt unsafe there. It's about 20 minute drive to TVC. I stayed there because it was cheaper and was out most of the day. Look up reviews for it, as last time I stayed their internet was down for a few days.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Jimmy Owen

Traveling to L.A./Hotels
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 10:38:26 AM »
The Farmer's Daughter.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Neumms

Traveling to L.A./Hotels
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 11:05:33 AM »
On the beach in Santa Monica. (Damn I miss the expense account days.)

TimK2003

Traveling to L.A./Hotels
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2009, 01:40:09 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' post=\'228550\' date=\'Oct 15 2009, 10:07 AM\']I've stayed at the Comfort Inn on Vermont as well as the Comfort Inn on Comfort Inn @ 2717 West Sunset Blvd. I believe the one on Sunset is cheaper. Not the greatest area, but never felt unsafe there. It's about 20 minute drive to TVC. I stayed there because it was cheaper and was out most of the day. Look up reviews for it, as last time I stayed their internet was down for a few days.[/quote]

Six years ago, I stayed at a Choice Hotel (Sleep/Comfort/Quality Inn -- one of the three) which I believe was near Highland Avenue and the 101/Hollywood Freeway.  Nice things about the hotel:  Close to the freeway, the neighborhood did not look seedy, Free Parking, and at the time they had an "early" continental breakfast (3-4 am) for those leaving for an early spot in line for TPIR before sunrise.  I think it was a 10-15 minute drive to Beverly & Fairfax.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Traveling to L.A./Hotels
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2009, 03:08:33 PM »
There is a Comfort Inn, a Rodeway Inn and a Days Inn on Sunset Blvd. between Highland and La Brea, much closer to the attractions (including Fairfax Avenue) and easier access to the San Fernando valley.

I can no longer recommend Canter's as an eatery. Ick.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 03:10:46 PM by chris319 »

catkins522

Traveling to L.A./Hotels
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 06:06:51 PM »
The Farmer's Daughter--across the street for CBS TV Studios

The food is great, but kind of higher than normal.  I always go to Pink's at least once.  A hot dog shop, great food, but Hollywood signed pictures tops my list.

Charles Atkins
-----------

Bigger and better....in HD!!!!

MrBuddwing

Traveling to L.A./Hotels
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2009, 09:37:47 PM »
No hotel recommendation, just a semi-helpful hint: If you rent a car, and on your way back to the airport (LAX, I assume) you stop off nearby to fill it with gas, don't be too surprised if some guy comes up to you and starts giving you a hard-luck story about surfing at Santa Monica and losing his wallet and all of his cash and cards and how the gas station manager was nice enough to let him hang around to see if someone (like you) can help him out.

Burnt once, twice shy. The second time I looked at the guy in disbelief and snapped, "I've heard this story before!" And he slunk away. So now that you've read it here, you can say the same thing: That you've heard the story before.

trainman

Traveling to L.A./Hotels
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2009, 10:49:43 PM »
Folks: specific hotel recommendations aren't necessarily going to help someone who's using the "name your own price" feature at Priceline.

Mark:  I'm looking at Priceline's area map.  I'm not sure about Lawndale (6), and parts of the Los Angeles Airport (LAX) area (7) can be kinda seedy (although the hotels themselves are reasonably safe).  Other than that, things should be fine.  I know you say you don't care about "nearby," but I'd probably caution you against Redondo - Manhattan Beaches (8), which would put you pretty far away from the action -- the less time you have to spend in L.A. traffic, the better.  With a low bid/low star rating, I think you're most likely to get Hollywood (5).
trainman is a man of trains

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Traveling to L.A./Hotels
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2009, 01:52:14 AM »
Folks: specific hotel recommendations aren't necessarily going to help someone who's using the "name your own price" feature at Priceline.
I'm trying to steer him away from Priceline.

ethanmx2

Traveling to L.A./Hotels
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2009, 04:23:45 AM »
Ah, hell, you're seeking your vengeance on me in person now Mark? :P kidding kidding

Well, despite my expansive knowledge of the LA area, I do not have any idea of good hotels in the area. Granted, others who do fly in and stay here will have better info, but sadly, you won't get much advice from me, except: Stay OFF the damn freeway!