Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: last nights SNL  (Read 5495 times)

davemackey

last nights SNL
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2009, 06:48:28 AM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' post=\'227828\' date=\'Oct 6 2009, 01:54 AM\']Incidentally, Donny and Marie Osmond are sort of an ironic choice for the other team. In the early 1980's, SNL had a couple of sketches where Donny and Marie ended up making out![/quote]
Yes it was - Donny was Gary Kroeger (yes, that's what he did before he became a game show announcer), and Marie was Julia Louis-Dreyfus.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
last nights SNL
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2009, 10:47:42 PM »
[quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'227623\' date=\'Oct 4 2009, 08:19 AM\']If you're watching such a skit for accuracy, you're trying way too hard.[/quote]I wasn't watching for accuracy, but I'd say there's a big difference between "It sucked! They had an answer worth only one point and the show would NEVER do that!" than wondering why the steal has been replaced with "well, let's just continue with the Other family!" It's not like Family Feud is that esoteric a format. But the fact that they spent all of the creativity on getting the Dawson impression down pales in comparison to....

[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'227626\' date=\'Oct 4 2009, 08:33 AM\']I see how this got past the pitch meeting.  It's a one-joke premise, but it's a GREAT one joke.  ("See, Mackenzie Phillips is on Family Feud, and one of the questions is 'Name something you do with your dad'!")[/quote] Really? Even if you give the writers a freebie because of her book, it still feels really skeezy to be making fun of that.

(And I've argued with my sister before, but that was just absurd. "Put him up for adoption!". Apparently the Donny/Marie shtick eluded me.)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 10:47:58 PM by TLEberle »
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
last nights SNL
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2009, 11:12:42 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'227918\' date=\'Oct 6 2009, 07:47 PM\']Apparently the Donny/Marie shtick eluded me.)[/quote]
You're too young. Part of the schtick on their ABC variety show in the 70s was the sibling rivarly bit.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Walrus5241

last nights SNL
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2009, 10:16:09 PM »
Am I the only one who thought that--besides a few moments and gestures-- the guy who did Dawson really wasn't that good? He had Dawson's body language and mannerisms down, but his voice didn't sound like Richard's at all! I feel like it would be a lot funnier had the Dawson impression been more spot-on.

Also, it seemed the audience picked up on some of the little Dawson mannerisms that he's known for, thus leading me to believe it's not *ancient* history as others have said. Of the classic game shows currently on GSN (which aren't in first-run as well), I'd say Dawson's Family Feud (along with Match Game) is the best known to the general public/most popular.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
last nights SNL
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2009, 10:18:41 PM »
[quote name=\'Walrus5241\' post=\'228095\' date=\'Oct 8 2009, 07:16 PM\']Am I the only one who thought that--besides a few moments and gestures-- the guy who did Dawson really wasn't that good? He had Dawson's body language and mannerisms down, but his voice didn't sound like Richard's at all! I feel like it would be a lot funnier had the Dawson impression been more spot-on.[/quote] Neither was the guy who was supposed to be President Obama, from what I heard.
Travis L. Eberle

mmb5

last nights SNL
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2009, 12:42:01 PM »
[quote name=\'Walrus5241\' post=\'228095\' date=\'Oct 8 2009, 10:16 PM\']Am I the only one who thought that--besides a few moments and gestures-- the guy who did Dawson really wasn't that good? He had Dawson's body language and mannerisms down, but his voice didn't sound like Richard's at all! I feel like it would be a lot funnier had the Dawson impression been more spot-on.

Also, it seemed the audience picked up on some of the little Dawson mannerisms that he's known for, thus leading me to believe it's not *ancient* history as others have said. Of the classic game shows currently on GSN (which aren't in first-run as well), I'd say Dawson's Family Feud (along with Match Game) is the best known to the general public/most popular.[/quote]
To be fair, an impression is not something you just pick up on Wednesday and then have mastered by Saturday, especially when you are also working on other bits.  Mannerisms are easy to pick up, the voice can take weeks if not months to get to sound reasonably close, especially for a voice which is unique as Richard's.  If you see some of the iconic impersonations on SNL over time (Carvey's Bush, Ferrell's W, Hammond's Clinton), they will be a lot rougher in the beginning until they had sometime to hone them.  Or you can go the Chevy Chase-Gerald Ford route, and just do mannerisms and ignore the voice.  And if you're never going to use it again (I doubt we will ever see Mr. Dawson become a regular impersonation), why should Jason Sudekis really spend a lot of effort on it?

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
last nights SNL
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2009, 04:32:46 AM »
Funny, I actually thought it was a pretty reasonable Dawson, with some of the inflections.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

dale_grass

last nights SNL
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2009, 11:50:10 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'228165\' date=\'Oct 10 2009, 03:32 AM\']Funny, I actually thought it was a pretty reasonable Dawson, with some of the inflections.[/quote]
One of the few things game-show-related my college roommate got into was an impression of Dawson shouting "Not there!" when an answer failed to make the survey.  We had it down pat.

Mr. Matté

last nights SNL
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2009, 12:50:47 PM »
For last night's rerun of SNL which included this skit, the spelling error in the intro was corrected.

/Now when will they bring (insert your favorite former cast member here) back?