Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Chris Mann blog on Rod Roddy  (Read 6635 times)

cmjb13

Chris Mann blog on Rod Roddy
« on: October 29, 2009, 12:44:01 PM »
Good read

I had heard from a close source around that time that Barker at the hospital told Rod something along the lines of "When you die, let my PR people handle it"
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 12:46:07 PM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

pentellit

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 09:16:29 PM »
Yes, and the rest of that oft told TPIR story is that after Barker left Rod's hospital room, Rod said "There goes one person I will NOT miss when I leave this world."

Ah, Rod.  RIP.  You were much loved, and still missed.

jmangin

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 09:47:42 PM »
Rod was definitely one of the nicest people I had ever met at CBS. I was there in 2002 with some friends playing around at the studio for a week. We were walking around in a warehouse or something where larger games were stored and Rod happened to be parked over there. We were chatting just as he was getting in his car to go home, but instead he put his stuff in the trunk and took us on a great tour of Television City, showing us tons of stuff we never even knew was there. His stories, humor and just wonderful personality is something I remember fondly about that visit and he is someone I am very glad to have met.

LetsGoMets2003

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2009, 11:04:53 PM »
How sad. The man is fighting for his life, and you take away something that really made him happy because of your ego. If I ever host anything one day (God willing) I hope this is one thing I do not do to someone else.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2009, 06:30:39 AM »
So Barker did indeed visit Rod in the hospital? I have always questioned the veracity of that story.

ClockGameJohn

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2009, 12:51:20 PM »
I've heard "yes" from reliable sources.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2009, 03:26:21 PM »
[quote name=\'ClockGameJohn\' post=\'229617\' date=\'Nov 1 2009, 10:51 AM\']I've heard "yes" from reliable sources.[/quote]
Was the visit before or after the, um, "Fremantle corporate policy prohibiting on-camera appearances by off-camera announcers" went into effect?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 03:30:57 PM by chris319 »

pentellit

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2009, 04:31:28 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'229630\' date=\'Nov 1 2009, 01:26 PM\'][quote name=\'ClockGameJohn\' post=\'229617\' date=\'Nov 1 2009, 10:51 AM\']I've heard "yes" from reliable sources.[/quote]
Was the visit before or after the, um, "Fremantle corporate policy prohibiting on-camera appearances by off-camera announcers" went into effect?
[/quote]
Barker's shameless Public Relations hospital visit to Rod was long after.  Way before Rod got sick, Barker had already yanked Rod's on-camera time, and Rod's beloved closeups, (immediately following the big loud argument between the two men over nightime specials pay rate, which led to the furious Barker decree that Rod was no longer to have on camera scheduled closeups.)  After that came the sudden new Fremantle corporate policy "prohibiting on-camera appearances by off-camera announcers".  

Rod was well into dying when Barker made his infamous "Bob Barker Self Serving Promotional PR Visit to Rod Roddy In The Hospital".  By the time of that PR farce, Rod hadn't been seen in his regular closeups on TPIR for way too long.  

In spite of vindictive Bob Barker, Rod was seen in his last days on talk shows and news briefs all across the country, pleading with his fans and audience to get regular colonoscopies and breast cancer checkups.

RIP Rod, you were greatly loved, and you are missed.

Steve_Bier

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2009, 04:35:21 PM »
[quote name=\'pentellit\' post=\'229639\' date=\'Nov 1 2009, 04:31 PM\'][quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'229630\' date=\'Nov 1 2009, 01:26 PM\'][quote name=\'ClockGameJohn\' post=\'229617\' date=\'Nov 1 2009, 10:51 AM\']I've heard "yes" from reliable sources.[/quote]
[/quote]
Barker's shameless Public Relations hospital visit to Rod was long after.  Way before Rod got sick, Barker had already yanked Rod's on-camera time, and Rod's beloved closeups, (immediately following the big loud argument between the two men over nightime specials pay rate, which led to the furious Barker decree that Rod was no longer to have on camera scheduled closeups.)  After that came the sudden new Fremantle corporate policy "prohibiting on-camera appearances by off-camera announcers".  

Rod was well into dying when Barker made his infamous "Bob Barker Self Serving Promotional PR Visit to Rod Roddy In The Hospital".  By the time of that PR farce, Rod hadn't been seen in his regular closeups on TPIR for way too long.  

In spite of vindictive Bob Barker, Rod was seen in his last days on talk shows and news briefs all across the country, pleading with his fans and audience to get regular colonoscopies and breast cancer checkups.

RIP Rod, you were greatly loved, and you are missed.
[/quote]

Here's a question....if "old man Barker" got rid of Rod's camera time, how did he manage to get camera time on the 32nd season premier - however brief it may have been?

tpirfan28

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2009, 04:43:51 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve_Bier\' post=\'229640\' date=\'Nov 1 2009, 05:35 PM\']Here's a question....if "old man Barker" got rid of Rod's camera time, how did he manage to get camera time on the 32nd season premier - however brief it may have been?[/quote]Clip...looks like Syd "went behind Barker's back" to make sure Rod got some time...looked well-planned.
/Mind you, Syd also yanked the mic from Barker no fewer than two minutes before that to yabble.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 04:44:15 PM by tpirfan28 »
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2009, 04:49:30 PM »
Syd also yanked the mic from Barker no fewer than two minutes before that to yabble.
"Hello, I'm Syd Vinnedge. You may remember me from such game shows as 'Wordplay'".

BrandonFG

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2009, 05:17:31 PM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'229641\' date=\'Nov 1 2009, 04:43 PM\'][quote name=\'Steve_Bier\' post=\'229640\' date=\'Nov 1 2009, 05:35 PM\']Here's a question....if "old man Barker" got rid of Rod's camera time, how did he manage to get camera time on the 32nd season premier - however brief it may have been?[/quote]Clip...looks like Syd "went behind Barker's back" to make sure Rod got some time...looked well-planned.
/Mind you, Syd also yanked the mic from Barker no fewer than two minutes before that to yabble.
[/quote]
And even though it was a side shot, you can notice Bob doesn't appreciate the gesture. He looks pissed.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2009, 03:37:01 AM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'229641\' date=\'Nov 1 2009, 04:43 PM\']...looks like Syd "went behind Barker's back" to make sure Rod got some time...looked well-planned.[/quote]
Gotta give Syd credit for the one thing he ever did right.

/Two, if you count "nothing" during Season 36.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 03:37:53 AM by Steve Gavazzi »

pentellit

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2009, 02:45:23 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'229645\' date=\'Nov 1 2009, 03:17 PM\']And even though it was a side shot, you can notice Bob doesn't appreciate the gesture. He looks pissed.[/quote]
Oooooweee, he was!