Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: For those who still doesn't have 'em...  (Read 5558 times)

gamed121683

For those who still doesn't have 'em...
« on: November 18, 2009, 09:41:00 PM »
It looks like the old BCI game show releases are coming back on the market:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Site-News...ow-Rights/12995

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 10:14:58 PM »
[quote name=\'gamed121683\' post=\'230857\' date=\'Nov 18 2009, 06:41 PM\']It looks like the old BCI game show releases are coming back on the market:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Site-News...ow-Rights/12995[/quote]
Interesting. Reasonably-priced, as well.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Eric Paddon

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 10:19:23 PM »
It'll be interesting to see if Mill Creek might inherit some of the in-the-pipeline projects that BCI was working on before they went under (Tattletales, What's My Line?).

TwoInchQuad

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 04:41:32 PM »
[quote name=\'Eric Paddon\' post=\'230863\' date=\'Nov 18 2009, 08:19 PM\']It'll be interesting to see if Mill Creek might inherit some of the in-the-pipeline projects that BCI was working on before they went under (Tattletales, What's My Line?).[/quote]

Let's hope they have a better technical crew than BCI did... how in the world they managed to screw up that "Password" set is beyond me...

-Kevin

Eric Paddon

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 12:49:30 AM »
Agreed, that Password set is totally unwatchable IMO if you already have good GSN recordings of the same episodes.

The Pyramids

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2009, 04:37:46 PM »
[quote name=\'Eric Paddon\' post=\'230863\' date=\'Nov 18 2009, 10:19 PM\']It'll be interesting to see if Mill Creek might inherit some of the in-the-pipeline projects that BCI was working on before they went under (Tattletales, What's My Line?).[/quote]

Yes. Loosing the 'WML' release the same year that GSN dropped it was a real shame.

clemon79

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2009, 04:42:11 PM »
[quote name=\'PaulD\' post=\'231027\' date=\'Nov 21 2009, 01:37 PM\']Yes. Loosing the 'WML' release the same year that GSN dropped it was a real shame.[/quote]
Perhaps they should tighten it back up, then.

JMFabiano

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2009, 10:43:33 PM »
[quote name=\'Eric Paddon\' post=\'230947\' date=\'Nov 20 2009, 01:49 AM\']Agreed, that Password set is totally unwatchable IMO if you already have good GSN recordings of the same episodes.[/quote]

They didn't seem so bad to me.  Of course I only started watching...

But anything that gets the shows that GSN isn't/won't show anymore back to viewers is a good thing.
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2009, 10:59:29 PM »
[quote name=\'JMFabiano\' post=\'231536\' date=\'Dec 2 2009, 10:43 PM\']They didn't seem so bad to me.  Of course I only started watching...[/quote]

Well, when your mastering of episodes are in progressive instead of interlaced... that's a wreaking fault.  They don't have the smooth motion that videotape usually should have.  It looks like it was put through something to give it a "film look."  Even some episodes on the Feud set suffered from this problem.

Jay Temple

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2009, 12:58:54 AM »
[quote name=\'NicholasM79\' post=\'231537\' date=\'Dec 2 2009, 09:59 PM\']Even some episodes on the Feud set suffered from this problem.[/quote]
I still don't know what the terms actually mean, but at least now I know the visual effect you're talking about. Yeah, that was sad. It reminded me of some TV episodes where characters appear on a real game show, but the scenes look like any other scene instead of being lit up as you'd see it on TV.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2009, 03:00:50 AM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' post=\'231539\' date=\'Dec 3 2009, 12:58 AM\']I still don't know what the terms actually mean, but at least now I know the visual effect you're talking about. Yeah, that was sad. It reminded me of some TV episodes where characters appear on a real game show, but the scenes look like any other scene instead of being lit up as you'd see it on TV.[/quote]

Now that I think about it, I don't think it's so much progressive v. interlaced as it is just bad mastering overall.  It just looks bad.

Mr. Bill

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2009, 05:02:09 AM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' post=\'231539\' date=\'Dec 3 2009, 12:58 AM\'][quote name=\'NicholasM79\' post=\'231537\' date=\'Dec 2 2009, 09:59 PM\']Even some episodes on the Feud set suffered from this problem.[/quote]
I still don't know what the terms actually mean, but at least now I know the visual effect you're talking about. Yeah, that was sad. It reminded me of some TV episodes where characters appear on a real game show, but the scenes look like any other scene instead of being lit up as you'd see it on TV.
[/quote]
Depending on what video standard you have where you live, there are different numbers of scanning lines that make up a TV picture.  In pre-digital days, for the US that was 525.  That part is constant.

Interlaced means that the picture is scanned in two parts, first the odd numbered lines (1, 3, 5, 7, etc) and then the even numbered lines (2, 4, 6, 8).  This has always been the broadcast standard here.  It allows your eye to see the whole picture at once.

Progressive means the picture is scanned in one pass, sequentially from Line 1 to Line 525.  It takes longer for you to see the picture.  That makes the action seem less fluid and more filmlike than interlaced.

I'll leave it at that, before we get into more technical terms that would take somebody in TV engineering to discuss.

calliaume

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2009, 09:50:32 PM »
I'm going to bump this thread up:

For those who want to judge for themselves, and live near a Half Price Books, that chain is running a 20 percent off everything in the store sale, today through Wednesday, December 30.  The Password box set sells for $9.98 normally, so for just eight dollars, you can get a bunch of the original episodes yourself.

clemon79

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2009, 09:54:22 PM »
Ooh, thanks for the tip...I have a bunch of video games I want to take to my local HPB following my move. Maybe my girlfriend and I will make the run by tomorrow. :)

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2009, 09:57:25 PM »
[quote name=\'calliaume\' post=\'233036\' date=\'Dec 26 2009, 09:50 PM\']For those who want to judge for themselves, and live near a Half Price Books, that chain is running a 20 percent off everything in the store sale, today through Wednesday, December 30.  The Password box set sells for $9.98 normally, so for just eight dollars, you can get a bunch of the original episodes yourself.[/quote]
Adding to Curt's response since there are a number of educators on this board...  Teachers (and I presume professors too) can get a card from Half Price Books which entitles them to 10% off their total purchases, books or otherwise.  This can be added on top of the 20% discount Curt mentioned.  To get the discount card, you need to have proof of being an educator, like a school ID, union card, or a pay stub.  Thus, some of us can get the Password set for $7.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2009, 09:57:50 PM by MikeK »