Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Seeking free game show music & sound effects  (Read 6511 times)

David Levy

Seeking free game show music & sound effects
« on: November 22, 2008, 03:40:45 AM »
I'm preparing to co-produce a pop culture trivia quiz show for my university's TV channel, and I'm looking for music and sound effects that could be legally used without paying any fees.  I've found some websites containing royalty-free music for which the only licensing condition is that the author be credited, but none of it sounds appropriate for a game show.  And ideally, I'd like to incorporate a small number of sound effects (for answer reveals and the like).

If anyone knows of a source, I'd sincerely appreciate your assistance.  Thanks!

bscripps

• Button-Pushing Monkey
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 12:51:41 PM »
[quote name=\'David Levy\' post=\'202186\' date=\'Nov 22 2008, 03:40 AM\']
I'm preparing to co-produce a pop culture trivia quiz show for my university's TV channel, and I'm looking for music and sound effects that could be legally used without paying any fees.  I've found some websites containing royalty-free music for which the only licensing condition is that the author be credited, but none of it sounds appropriate for a game show.  And ideally, I'd like to incorporate a small number of sound effects (for answer reveals and the like).

If anyone knows of a source, I'd sincerely appreciate your assistance.  Thanks!
[/quote]
I can't speak to music, but sound effects--if you have access to a sound editing program, you'd be surprised what sort of sound effects you can whip up with the tools built into a halfway decent program.  

On my Mac, I use a program called Amadeus Pro , which has a "Complex Waveform" generator.  I had need for a bell sound effect some time ago and made one entirely with that.  You're more than welcome to it if you want it.  Otherwise, just play around--it's really not as hard as you might think.  The key is not so much getting that perfect "buzzer" sound or whatever you're looking for, but getting something that matches what you're seeing on-screen.
Ben Scripps. Professional button-pushing monkey.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 01:28:11 PM »
As for legitimate music, you can always try to see what's been released under the Creative Commons license.
This signature is currently under construction.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2008, 03:10:22 PM »
There are no licensing requirements with sound effects.

If this is at a university there must be a music department and there must be music students studying composition. So ...

uncamark

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 05:37:51 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'202201\' date=\'Nov 22 2008, 02:10 PM\']
There are no licensing requirements with sound effects.

If this is at a university there must be a music department and there must be music students studying composition. So ...
[/quote]

And don't they still have doorbells at the hardware store that ring real bells?

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 06:28:08 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'202289\' date=\'Nov 24 2008, 06:37 PM\']
And don't they still have doorbells at the hardware store that ring real bells?
[/quote]

Yes. Usually the "back door" bell is just a single chime, very similar to a game show bell. Look a little harder, or special order, and you can find an old fashioned buzzing doorbell for game show buzzer functions. A friend of mine did just that for his game show productions at a summer camp.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2008, 07:53:17 PM »
I have one of those countertop ring-for-service bells in my house.  I've often used it for the appropriate game show gag, but never recorded it.

Also, Microsoft Windows should come with sound effects.  Grand Slam used them to great effect.
This signature is currently under construction.

BrandonFG

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 08:08:43 PM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'202311\' date=\'Nov 24 2008, 07:53 PM\']
Also, Microsoft Windows should come with sound effects.  Grand Slam used them to great effect.
[/quote]
Approves.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Nydahl

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2009, 01:00:35 AM »
[quote name=\'David Levy\' post=\'202186\' date=\'Nov 22 2008, 04:40 AM\']I'm preparing to co-produce a pop culture trivia quiz show for my university's TV channel, and I'm looking for music and sound effects that could be legally used without paying any fees.  I've found some websites containing royalty-free music for which the only licensing condition is that the author be credited, but none of it sounds appropriate for a game show.  And ideally, I'd like to incorporate a small number of sound effects (for answer reveals and the like).

If anyone knows of a source, I'd sincerely appreciate your assistance.  Thanks![/quote]

There are a lot of royalty free sites out there and they do have their own take on what exactly you can do with their music, so its best to read the terms before you buy. Also, you need to think about what sort of music you want to support your production, what feeling you are trying to convey.So i think the best site for your project is Royalty Free Music.Here there is great and huge collections of music are available.

tvrandywest

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2009, 12:33:36 PM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' post=\'202298\' date=\'Nov 24 2008, 03:28 PM\'][quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'202289\' date=\'Nov 24 2008, 06:37 PM\']
And don't they still have doorbells at the hardware store that ring real bells?[/quote]
Yes. Usually the "back door" bell is just a single chime, very similar to a game show bell. Look a little harder, or special order, and you can find an old fashioned buzzing doorbell for game show buzzer functions. A friend of mine did just that for his game show productions at a summer camp.
-Jason
[/quote]
Just be careful what neighborhood you're in when you ring that backdoor bell!

But seriously folks, with most audio software programs you can create cool sfx, and the creativity can be fun. A tiny note or sound rapidly repeated over and over with a rising pitch for 2 to 4 seconds is a great original lockout sound (think "Penny Ante" from Price).

The original WOF "bankrupt" sound was a simple slide whistle pitching up while a male human voice went "aaaaaah" pitched down. The world is a canvas.... create!

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 12:34:17 PM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

davemackey

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2009, 12:59:13 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' post=\'231163\' date=\'Nov 24 2009, 12:33 PM\']The original WOF "bankrupt" sound was a simple slide whistle pitching up while a male human voice went "aaaaaah" pitched down. The world is a canvas.... create![/quote]
If you want to get really nitpicky, the original "Bankrupt" sound was that of a toilet flushing. That lasted for maybe two or three episodes (Chuck absolutely hated it) until it was jettisoned in favor of the sound we all know and love.

tvrandywest

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2009, 01:27:56 PM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' post=\'231164\' date=\'Nov 24 2009, 09:59 AM\'][quote name=\'tvrandywest\' post=\'231163\' date=\'Nov 24 2009, 12:33 PM\']The original WOF "bankrupt" sound was a simple slide whistle pitching up while a male human voice went "aaaaaah" pitched down. The world is a canvas.... create![/quote]
If you want to get really nitpicky, the original "Bankrupt" sound was that of a toilet flushing. That lasted for maybe two or three episodes (Chuck absolutely hated it) until it was jettisoned in favor of the sound we all know and love.
[/quote]
Correct on both counts... the sound and the picking of nits   ;-)

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

chrisholland03

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2009, 02:10:51 PM »
Was it a toilet or a urinal?  Gravity or Pressure flush?  Inquiring minds want to know ;)