Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Scrabble" Question  (Read 7067 times)

password2007

"Scrabble" Question
« on: December 04, 2009, 06:02:48 PM »
How much of Scrabble's 1984-1990 run did USA Network air?

Also, what's your favorite clue from the show?

So many good ones to choose from, but one of the most clever plays on words I remember was 7 letters, "He has a tail of warning for the human race":

R __ T T __ __ R

[Obviously it worked better on the show since you couldn't see the spelling of 'tail']

Mr. Bill

"Scrabble" Question
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 02:07:15 AM »
[quote name=\'password2007\' post=\'231632\' date=\'Dec 4 2009, 06:02 PM\']How much of Scrabble's 1984-1990 run did USA Network air?

Also, what's your favorite clue from the show?

So many good ones to choose from, but one of the most clever plays on words I remember was 7 letters, "He has a tail of warning for the human race":

R __ T T __ __ R[/quote]
My all-time favorite has to be this one, mainly because of the way the word played out.  It really should have made it to one of the clip shows if it already didn't.

9 letters -- "Their job is taxing"

After the third letter -- A S S __  __ __ __ __ __
After the fourth letter -- A S S __ S __ __ __ __
After the fifth letter -- A S S E S __ __ __ __
The word revealed -- A S S E S S O R S -- Yes, 5 S's in one word!

Vahan_Nisanian

"Scrabble" Question
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 02:10:19 AM »
Most of 1984-1989 I believe.

P.S. Don't believe any story you hear on the Internet that the pre-1985 episodes are lost and gone forever. They do exist. Whoever came up with such a story like that needs to do this.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 10:22:48 AM by gameshowlover87 »

BrandonFG

"Scrabble" Question
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 02:58:31 AM »
From what I remember, they aired eps. from early as 1985, and as late to 1989. However, I also remember the show starting with an "All-American Tournament", which I believe originally aired in the fall of 1986. In typical USA fashion, they skipped throughout the run.

My favorite clue came from the 1993 run: "They all went to see Howard's End... " NUDISTS

Another one from the original version...I can't remember the actual clue, but the answer was COLLINS, referring to Joan. Chuck quipped, "She's not that old...she just doesn't count summers!"
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

retrogameshows

"Scrabble" Question
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 10:51:07 PM »
USA did air TEEN WEEK from, what I originally thought was, Christmas 1985. However, some people have pointed out to me that it was actually Christmas of 1984.

It was during a period when they did NOT show the year in the end credits.

Has anyone seen those episodes and might know what year they originally aired?

Bill Neuweiler

"Scrabble" Question
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2009, 03:08:34 AM »
Building on the letter "B", seven letters in the word .....  The clue is, it's where the full moon sets.

B _ _ _ _ _ _
<p>I share a birthday with Jack Barry.

Loogaroo

"Scrabble" Question
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2009, 07:49:33 AM »
I can't for the life of me remember the clue, but I remember seeing a word whose clue made a reference to bathroom usage, building off the letter P. An E was added to the word, making it *PE*, followed by an A to make it *PEA*.
You're in a room. You're wearing a silly hat.
There are letters on the floor. They spell "NOPE".

Jay Temple

"Scrabble" Question
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2009, 12:08:27 PM »
This is a sick clue. (Chuck used to say that a lot. This time it was the actual clue.)
SYMPTOM

Kids today don't know the meaning of the word.
JUXTAPOSE

You don't know how much it means to me.
It was either JILLION or ZILLION. The other was a wrong guess made when only the first letter wasn't filled in.

the easiest one I remember seeing:
It's a boy.
GEORGE

the only clue I remember from the 1993 show:
He's been blamed for some awful Rush hours.
LIMBAUGH
(Chuck then said that he liked Rush. At the time that was a lot more defensible.) Rush showed the clip on his TV show.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 12:08:42 PM by Jay Temple »
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
"Scrabble" Question
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2009, 01:39:41 PM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' post=\'231698\' date=\'Dec 6 2009, 09:08 AM\']the only clue I remember from the 1993 show:
He's been blamed for some awful Rush hours.
LIMBAUGH
(Chuck then said that he liked Rush. At the time that was a lot more defensible.) Rush showed the clip on his TV show.[/quote]And it isn't anymore?
Travis L. Eberle

Jumpondees

"Scrabble" Question
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2009, 03:54:29 PM »
It was the one single clue where I remember Chuck totally losing it during the original run, especially when Jan and his writing team would start slipping in more and more bizarre, but subtle funny clues.

I think the set up was "A 5-letter word, building on the letter I, the clue is: Sometimes, in order to get their attention, some wives will shake these in their husbands faces."

_ I _ _ _

Answer below:
FISTS
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 03:56:20 PM by Jumpondees »

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
"Scrabble" Question
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2009, 12:09:22 PM »
I don't remember which letter it built off of, but I loved this clue for "vowels":  Vanna White will let you buy them for a price.

After the solve, Woolery then looked offstage and asked, "Is it still $250?  It was when I did it."
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

crazdgamer

"Scrabble" Question
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2009, 03:05:36 PM »
[quote name=\'Loogaroo\' post=\'231694\' date=\'Dec 6 2009, 07:49 AM\']I can't for the life of me remember the clue, but I remember seeing a word whose clue made a reference to bathroom usage, building off the letter P. An E was added to the word, making it *PE*, followed by an A to make it *PEA*.[/quote]
Was there not also a somewhat popular clip on blooper shows where a female contestant picks titles, gets "P P" and says "Well, I guess I'll take a P"?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
"Scrabble" Question
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2009, 04:22:58 PM »
[quote name=\'crazdgamer\' post=\'232047\' date=\'Dec 10 2009, 12:05 PM\']Was there not also a somewhat popular clip on blooper shows where a female contestant picks titles, gets "P P" and says "Well, I guess I'll take a P"?[/quote]
If there was, it speaks volumes about the quality of blooper shows these days.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
"Scrabble" Question
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2009, 04:45:20 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'232056\' date=\'Dec 10 2009, 04:22 PM\'][quote name=\'crazdgamer\' post=\'232047\' date=\'Dec 10 2009, 12:05 PM\']Was there not also a somewhat popular clip on blooper shows where a female contestant picks titles, gets "P P" and says "Well, I guess I'll take a P"?[/quote]
If there was, it speaks volumes about the quality of blooper shows these days.
[/quote]

I actually remember seeing this clip in a Scrabble blooper reel once, but it seems to have disappeared from YouTube.
Bobby Peacock

chad1m

"Scrabble" Question
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2009, 04:53:20 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'232056\' date=\'Dec 10 2009, 04:22 PM\']If there was, it speaks volumes about the quality of blooper shows these days.[/quote]Right, because nothing never said quality entertainment more than sixty full minutes of people saying things along the lines of "I love Jew... err... I meant you. Hahahaha, crap, can we re-do that?"

And yes, that clip has been seen on at least one "game show moments" special, often coupled with the "mosquitos" incident.