Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Top Ten Moments of the 2000s  (Read 10255 times)

chad1m

Top Ten Moments of the 2000s
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2009, 09:38:00 PM »
I don't disagree that Barker is  a glaring omission, but that was mainly due to that I knew it would likely be on the top of the personalities' lists and I wanted to focus on other moments. I'm not saying these are what should be viewed as the top ten moments, but rather what I feel the top ten moments are. It's a personal opinion list and not a depiction of how others should feel about it, so my advice is to not get too bent out of shape on it. :) Carrie has now posted a list of twelve of the biggest blunders of the decade.

If all goes according to plan, the other list featuring names like Rich Fields, Todd Newton and our very own Randy West should be posted tomorrow. If not, no later than the end of the week I'm sure.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 09:44:11 PM by chad1m »

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2009, 09:52:35 PM »
[quote name=\'bandit_bobby\' post=\'231761\' date=\'Dec 7 2009, 12:10 PM\']Now that you all have said that, I don't think the "1 vs. 100" $1M win should be there.[/quote]You should change the "bandit" in your name to "Borg."

[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'231764\' date=\'Dec 7 2009, 12:51 PM\']QFT. Manufactured "moments" aren't moments.[/quote]But they did shape the way things are done. Stempel vs. Van Doren, Michael Larsen and the Perfect Bid all changed things, whether it is the creation of standards and practices, creating a bunch of new light patterns, or adding a warehouse full of previously unknown prizes, each of those manufactured moments had a profound impact on the show in question.

[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'231837\' date=\'Dec 8 2009, 08:37 AM\']This is exactly why no Price moments appeared in my list. That show causes more debate than any other in recent memory and I didn't want to see a pissing match develop because, quite frankly, some people can never seem to conduct themselves properly in these debates. I just didn't need that but, apparently, I got it anyway.[/quote]OK, but you should have led with the bit about TPIR being covered by other contributors, because otherwise it makes you look petty and childish. And I know you are neither of those things. :)

[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'231929\' date=\'Dec 8 2009, 04:25 PM\']So basically, your bias against Golden-Road ruined the moment for you, not anything that Ted himself did.[/quote]Wait a minute. Chris is right. If Ted had kept his darn mouth shut, then possibly we all think that the whole thing is little more than a fluke. But Ted had to go and say "Look at me, I helped that guy with the perfect bid! Look at me! Pay attention to me! Lavish attention and praise upon me!"
If you didn’t create it, it isn’t your content.

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2009, 10:36:54 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'231943\' date=\'Dec 8 2009, 09:52 PM\'][quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'231929\' date=\'Dec 8 2009, 04:25 PM\']So basically, your bias against Golden-Road ruined the moment for you, not anything that Ted himself did.[/quote]Wait a minute. Chris is right. If Ted had kept his darn mouth shut, then possibly we all think that the whole thing is little more than a fluke. But Ted had to go and say "Look at me, I helped that guy with the perfect bid! Look at me! Pay attention to me! Lavish attention and praise upon me!"[/quote]
I never thought for a second that Terry had come up with the bid himself.  My second reaction when it happened (the first, of course, being "Holy shit!") was, "Someone in the audience must have known the prices," because there's no way an average viewer does something like that on his own.  I don't see why making that assumption on a show where the audience is supposed to help makes the moment any less special.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 10:37:17 PM by Steve Gavazzi »

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2009, 10:53:05 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'231950\' date=\'Dec 8 2009, 07:36 PM\']I don't see why making that assumption on a show where the audience is supposed to help makes the moment any less special.[/quote]It is less special precisely because of the last sentence of mine that you quoted.

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2009, 11:10:13 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'231951\' date=\'Dec 8 2009, 10:53 PM\'][quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'231950\' date=\'Dec 8 2009, 07:36 PM\']I don't see why making that assumption on a show where the audience is supposed to help makes the moment any less special.[/quote]It is less special precisely because of the last sentence of mine that you quoted.[/quote]
Then I have to assume you've never actually bothered to read any of Ted's posts.  He doesn't "brag;" he just enjoys using his hobby to help people win.  He's given perfect bids in the studio before, and he was understandably excited that a contestant had finally used one of them.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2009, 11:37:11 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'231953\' date=\'Dec 8 2009, 08:10 PM\']Then I have to assume you've never actually bothered to read any of Ted's posts.  He doesn't "brag;" he just enjoys using his hobby to help people win.[/quote]OK, but he had to say something to someone at some point, right?

And I question his use of the word hobby, but that's neither here nor there.

chad1m

« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2009, 11:57:08 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'231953\' date=\'Dec 8 2009, 11:10 PM\']He doesn't "brag;"[/quote]

[quote name=\'Ted - related to the incident\']For the record, this was the third time that I got a showcase on the nose while in the studio... It was also fun to help Sharon win the car in One Away, although she could have had an extra $500 had she taken my bid on the washer/dryer... And for the record, Terry was listening to me when he switched those prices...Did anybody notice that they avoided shooting me at all during the one-bids?...Perhaps they knew ahead of time that I was a "ringer"[/quote] - From this thread.

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2009, 11:59:08 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'231956\' date=\'Dec 8 2009, 11:37 PM\']And I question his use of the word hobby, but that's neither here nor there.[/quote]
Oh, it's a weird hobby, to be sure...but I'm not exactly in a position to be criticizing weird hobbies.

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2009, 12:00:40 AM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'231958\' date=\'Dec 8 2009, 11:57 PM\'][quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'231953\' date=\'Dec 8 2009, 11:10 PM\']He doesn't "brag;"[/quote]
[quote name=\'Ted - related to the incident\']For the record, this was the third time that I got a showcase on the nose while in the studio... It was also fun to help Sharon win the car in One Away, although she could have had an extra $500 had she taken my bid on the washer/dryer... And for the record, Terry was listening to me when he switched those prices...Did anybody notice that they avoided shooting me at all during the one-bids?...Perhaps they knew ahead of time that I was a "ringer"[/quote] - From this thread.[/quote]
Okay, I guess that could be read as bragging...maybe the fact that I've talked to Ted off of the forums gives me a different view of how he's saying that.

EDIT:  Actually, I see now that that post is from Golden-Road...we know he does this and don't really think anything of it when he discusses it.

EDIT AGAIN:  And why did I not click the link before I replied?  The full quote, which sounds a lot more excited and a lot less braggish, is, "For the record, this was the third time that I got a showcase on the nose while in the studio.  The other two times were in 1992 (two days before I was chosen as a contestant) and 2005.  It was awesome to have somebody listening to me this time, especially somebody who I steered wrong in 'Switch?'."
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 12:14:04 AM by Steve Gavazzi »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2009, 03:51:44 AM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'231959\' date=\'Dec 8 2009, 08:59 PM\']Oh, it's a weird hobby, to be sure...but I'm not exactly in a position to be criticizing weird hobbies.[/quote]
How *is* Marc, anyhow? Please let him know that my girlfriend thought the polenta I made for dinner on Monday night was fabulous.
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'231960\' date=\'Dec 8 2009, 09:00 PM\']The full quote, which sounds a lot more excited and a lot less braggish, is, "For the record, this was the third time that I got a showcase on the nose while in the studio.[/quote]
Um, no, that still sounds a whole lot braggish.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2009, 08:29:58 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'231964\' date=\'Dec 9 2009, 03:51 AM\']Um, no, that still sounds a whole lot braggish.[/quote]
It sounds like a guy who was glad he was able to help someone else make history.

Of course, if you want it to sound braggish, it's gonna sound braggish.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2009, 10:39:20 AM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'231966\' date=\'Dec 9 2009, 08:29 AM\']Of course, if you want it to sound braggish, it's gonna sound braggish.[/quote]
I dunno.  Sounded kinda braggish to me too, and I couldn't care less.  Bragging about using your mad skilz to help other people is still bragging.  I have many braggarts among my friends whose braggarty (braggocity?) is easy to overlook because they're perfectly swell guys otherwise, and I imagine something like that is at work here.

On the other hand I don't particularly see what the problem is if he wants to brag about it.  Good lord, of course the bidder got help from somebody in the audience.  Was that ever remotely in doubt?  So this audience member wants the fan base to know it was him.  Sure, I can see that.  It's going to make him look dickish to some, it's going to make him a hero to others, and to the rest of the world, it's going to fall into that great big middle ground of mild curiosity or outright couldn't-care-less.

In other words, you two are looking at the exact same set of facts from two different perspectives and not surprisingly arriving at two different conclusions.  That's fine, but it really serves no purpose at all for the two of you to keep taking potshots at each other for it.  Move along.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

TheLastResort

« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2009, 10:55:24 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'231878\' date=\'Dec 8 2009, 02:35 PM\']Basically my point is that the world would be a better place if a few of your Roadie buddies would get out of their parents' basement once in a while and dedicate their brains to something a little more useful than memorizing the prices of every prize given on the show in the last fifteen years.[/quote]

Not to defend Steve (Lord knows I would never do that), but this is pretty funny coming from a guy with 18,000+ posts.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2009, 11:43:09 AM »
[quote name=\'TheLastResort\' post=\'231968\' date=\'Dec 9 2009, 07:55 AM\']but this is pretty funny coming from a guy with 18,000+ posts.[/quote]
*smooch* Don't ever change.

/there, 18,001
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2009, 05:36:00 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'231967\' date=\'Dec 9 2009, 10:39 AM\'][quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'231966\' date=\'Dec 9 2009, 08:29 AM\']Of course, if you want it to sound braggish, it's gonna sound braggish.[/quote]I dunno.  Sounded kinda braggish to me too, and I couldn't care less.  Bragging about using your mad skilz to help other people is still bragging.  I have many braggarts among my friends whose braggarty (braggocity?) is easy to overlook because they're perfectly swell guys otherwise, and I imagine something like that is at work here.[/quote]
Eh, you're right.

[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'231967\' date=\'Dec 9 2009, 10:39 AM\']In other words, you two are looking at the exact same set of facts from two different perspectives and not surprisingly arriving at two different conclusions.  That's fine, but it really serves no purpose at all for the two of you to keep taking potshots at each other for it.  Move along.[/quote]
Right again.