Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: As The World Turns Cancelled  (Read 50465 times)

BrandonFG

As The World Turns Cancelled
« Reply #75 on: December 11, 2009, 06:36:50 PM »
In this day and age, where most shows like to wrap everything up within a week, the tournament is recipe for disaster. I'm not sure if viewers (or station managers) have the patience for a tournament that could run for more than weeks, and a self-contained tournament immediately falls into the category of THINGS THAT FAIL. Donnymid proved that the idea sucked in 2002; daytime Millionaire proved it last month. The idea of a host saying "No one climbed the pyramid in time, so eenie-meenie-miney-moe, Janice, you win one million dollars! Next week's guests are Jenna Fischer and Neil Patrick Harris...kthxbai!!1!" makes me wanna commit hara-kiri.

Pass.

I have absolutely no problems with a $10,000/25,000 payout with returning champions, but just keep it simple like the prior daytime versions.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 06:37:20 PM by fostergray82 »
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #76 on: December 11, 2009, 09:26:42 PM »
A show like "Truth or Consequences" might be a good candidate for revival. People still know the name even though the show's been off for more than twenty years.  It has an  audience participation angle that seems to be in vogue right now.  I'd choose Greg Proops as host. .
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

chad1m

« Reply #77 on: December 11, 2009, 09:46:59 PM »
My suggestion: The $250,000 Pyramid. $25,000 for each successful Winner's Circle visit and a maximum of five days on the program. Make the bottom three boxes $250, middle row $500 and top trilon $1,000 and the maximum consolation becomes $2,500.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #78 on: December 11, 2009, 09:53:30 PM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'232150\' date=\'Dec 11 2009, 06:46 PM\']My suggestion: The $250,000 Pyramid. $25,000 for each successful Winner's Circle visit and a maximum of five days on the program. Make the bottom three boxes $250, middle row $500 and top trilon $1,000 and the maximum consolation becomes $2,500.[/quote]
Calling this The $250,000 Pyramid is as genuine as when Anne Robinson tossed around a seven-figure top prize on Weakest Link.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

chad1m

« Reply #79 on: December 11, 2009, 10:19:05 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'232151\' date=\'Dec 11 2009, 09:53 PM\']Calling this The $250,000 Pyramid is as genuine as when Anne Robinson tossed around a seven-figure top prize on Weakest Link.[/quote]Then don't worry about the title, that's not the focus of my idea. Call it whatever you want.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #80 on: December 11, 2009, 10:49:00 PM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'232152\' date=\'Dec 11 2009, 07:19 PM\']Then don't worry about the title, that's not the focus of my idea. Call it whatever you want.[/quote]
If you're willing to bend on the title (which goes right back to what I said about "if you name the show something, you'd better farking give that something away, and regularly"), the rest of it is nice and simple and reasonable.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Mr. Bill

« Reply #81 on: December 12, 2009, 04:17:38 AM »
[quote name=\'MizzouRah!\' post=\'232076\' date=\'Dec 10 2009, 09:15 PM\']I'm going to go slightly off the board w/ this, but what about a resurrection of Supermarket Sweep? Maybe a little cheesy, but it always pulled respectable ratings as a cable show and has never been on network TV(excluding the original). It also has built in product placement like crazy and would seem to appeal to the demographic in daytime TV.[/quote]
I do not condone this pairing, nor do I expect it to ever be seriously considered by anyone, but if you want Supermarket Sweep you gotta take Shop Till You Drop too.  Product placement AND silly stunts.  (The fact that even PAX/ION quit airing reruns tells you how small a chance there is of this happening.)

Still, Supermarket Sweep COULD work if it emulated the original run from some 40 years ago, when it was produced and broadcast on the road from real supermarkets in the NY/NJ area.  The equipment is obviously much smaller and better than it was back then, and the show could travel anywhere in the US now for location shooting.

It can work in an hour format if needed.  Two sets of contestants, one for each half of the show, and a slightly shortened game in each half.  Then the two winning teams run a 60- or 90-second sweep to see who gets to go for the bonus prize.

Mr. Bill

« Reply #82 on: December 12, 2009, 04:26:32 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'232149\' date=\'Dec 11 2009, 09:26 PM\']A show like "Truth or Consequences" might be a good candidate for revival. People still know the name even though the show's been off for more than twenty years.  It has an  audience participation angle that seems to be in vogue right now.  I'd choose Greg Proops as host. .[/quote]
Actually, the last GOOD version went off the air almost 35 years ago when they stopped production of the Bob Barker hosted version.

I refuse to consider the bombed Bob Hilton and Larry Anderson versions at all.

If we do have a ToC revival, it has to be the way Barker did it!  Greg Proops as host?  Aside from steady employment for another of Drew's WLIIA buddies, I don't think he'd be the right fit.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #83 on: December 13, 2009, 02:18:38 PM »
[quote name=\'Mr. Bill\' post=\'232161\' date=\'Dec 12 2009, 01:17 AM\']I do not condone this pairing, nor do I expect it to ever be seriously considered by anyone, but if you want Supermarket Sweep you gotta take Shop Till You Drop too.[/quote]I don't know how many people did what I did: watch Sweep then do something else when STYD came on. I don't see why they have to be paired at all.
Travis L. Eberle

Neumms

« Reply #84 on: December 13, 2009, 02:50:43 PM »
Donnymid and "Million Dollar Password" established that the celebrity-partner games don't work anymore. Too few actual "celebrities" have the ability or availability to play. I say pairs of strangers on Pyramid, a la "You Bet Your Life."

Introduce one pair, chit-chat a little, then let them play two :60 rounds of front game, each giving once and receiving once. Then you introduce the second pair. Higher scorers are off to the Winners' Circle.

If the show is half an hour, they could switch partners for a second game. The two players with the highest individual scores return as champs.

In an hour, they could start with three pairs of contestants, let the losers switch partners and play the second game, then the winning pairs have a play-off round for the final Winners' Circle with a higher prize.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #85 on: December 13, 2009, 03:00:07 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'232224\' date=\'Dec 13 2009, 11:50 AM\']Donnymid and "Million Dollar Password" established that the celebrity-partner games don't work anymore. Too few actual "celebrities" have the ability or availability to play. I say pairs of strangers on Pyramid, a la "You Bet Your Life."[/quote]They don't work because the people in charge are lazy gits. It may take work to find a Neil Patrick Harris, or whoever you need. Or to have them practice a bit. But the people are there. If you treat a show like the bastard stepson, don't be surprised if the show is thirteen and out.

It is not interesting to me to watch two people who I don't know, nor do they know each other, play Pyramid or Password.
Travis L. Eberle

BrandonFG

« Reply #86 on: December 13, 2009, 03:36:20 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'232224\' date=\'Dec 13 2009, 02:50 PM\']Donnymid and "Million Dollar Password" established that the celebrity-partner games don't work anymore.[/quote]
MDP got decent ratings...unfortunately, CBS wanted better ratings in the young demo, so the show went bye-bye...

Donnymid had decent enough celebrities, but was just horribly executed. All the drama and fun was sucked out, then replaced with artificial/manufactured drama (the steel girders and dark lighting), much like most other game shows of the last five years.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Yogi007

« Reply #87 on: December 13, 2009, 03:38:37 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'232226\' date=\'Dec 13 2009, 03:00 PM\']They don't work because the people in charge are lazy gits. It may take work to find a Neil Patrick Harris, or whoever you need. Or to have them practice a bit. But the people are there.[/quote]
I agree with Travis.  I betcha that when the $10,000 Pyramid started up, nobody knew which celebrities would be good at it.  Likewise with the others when new celebrities started sprouting up.  Do we want another Shatner?  No, but how will we know if that person is a Shat player if they don't try them in the game.  Who knew that NPH would be as good as a player as he is?
sarcasm included at no extra charge

joker316

« Reply #88 on: December 13, 2009, 05:15:03 PM »
How about a happy medium with married couples or family pairs?
Survival of the fittest...And besides...it's FUN!!!!  ...Daffy Duck

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #89 on: December 13, 2009, 05:28:11 PM »
[quote name=\'joker316\' post=\'232238\' date=\'Dec 13 2009, 02:15 PM\']How about a happy medium with married couples or family pairs?[/quote]"This is the country where we went on our honeymoon."

"This is the name of your obnoxious uncle."

"This is the stuff you don't like to put on hot dogs."
Travis L. Eberle