Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Announcers who didn't fit their shows  (Read 5349 times)

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
Announcers who didn't fit their shows
« on: December 15, 2009, 10:46:17 PM »
One thing that's been commonly discussed on this board is the opinion that, while Gene Wood was typically a great announcer, he was ill-suited for The Price Is Right. Are there any other announcers that you think were a poor match to a certain show?

Regarding Gene, I didn't like him much on Tattletales. For some reason, he always sounded much flatter and less energetic than usual. Just listen to how he says Bert's name on TT versus how he says it on Super Password or WLoD.

Also, I thought that Johnny Jacobs was too restrained and unenthusiastic for the Chuck Barris library. As over-the-top as most Barris shows were, they seemed like they needed an energetic announcer, maybe one with a slightly abnormal voice. Had Rod Roddy been working in the 1970s, I think that he would've been a good fit for the Barris library. After all, he seemed like a perfect match on PYL, which — like most of the Barris library — didn't exactly take itself seriously.

Speaking of PYL, I'm not much of a fan of John Harlan's announcing style as is, but it was particularly jarring to hear him fill in on that show since his voice just seemed too darn serious for such a show.
Bobby Peacock

Thunder

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 01:01:02 AM »
Strong Disagree regarding Johnny Jacobs esp. on "Treasure Hunt".

Hearing him describe a horrible prize and then hearing "Total Retail Value: Eight dollars, forty-three cents" in that oh-so-serious voice was terrific (in an awful way).

Johnissoevil

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 02:44:16 AM »
That's an easy one.  Daniel Rosen on TPIR.
In loving memory of my father, Curtis Fenner 4/29/44-8/13/15

BrandonFG

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 03:36:41 AM »
M.G. Kelly on Wheel. As much as I love Jack Clark's mellow announcing, I thought M.G. was just too dry for the show. Oddly enough, I thought Charlie O'Donnell was too upbeat during the 70s era. For some odd reason, he does just fine in the current era.

Staying on the subject of Charlie, I preferred Jay Stewart's announcing on the B&E shows over Charlie's...maybe it's just the latter's announcing style is a little more...how do I put it..."sophisticated", and just sounds odd on such a cheesy show like Joker. Not that I'm questioning Jay's sophistication...

/Love the show
//However, Jack manufactured more drama than an Endemol game show

I also found it quite jarring whenever I heard Johnny Gilbert announce the 80s Pyramid...dunno why.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

whewfan

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 05:29:02 AM »
By the same token, I think John Harlan was not right for SOTC. Comparing Jay's booming, (although becoming less so later in the run) voice to John's more serious tone, it just didn't suit me.

Charlie O'Donnell also sounded awkward on PYL. Rod just had the right style for that show.

I never heard Art James announce on TJW, but I heard for some reason he didn't work out on that show. However, he did a competent job on TTD.

Jay Stewart's booming enthusiasm was almost gone when he filled in on Blackout too, and unfortunately it turned out to be the last show he did.

Don Howard

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 06:11:12 AM »
[quote name=\'whewfan\' post=\'232400\' date=\'Dec 16 2009, 05:29 AM\']By the same token, I think John Harlan was not right for SOTC.[/quote]
When did John announce on $otC? Didn't it go straight from Jay Stewart to Don Morrow?
Or do you perhaps have John confused with Don, who, indeed, had a serious dramatic delivery?

cmjb13

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 06:40:18 AM »
Paul Boland on TPIR.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2009, 07:07:22 AM »
May just be me; but I've always found Bob Hilton's delivery to be rather monotonous and flat; regardless of the show.  Rich Jeffries is the other that seems like he's just there for the paycheck, at best.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

davemackey

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2009, 09:15:27 AM »
While he was a great promo voice for radio, Mark Driscoll didn't work at all as a game show announcer. He did the first few weeks of Chuck Henry's "Now You See It!" in 1989 and was a train wreck. They brought in Don Morrow to clean up the mess.

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2009, 09:34:52 AM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'232405\' date=\'Dec 16 2009, 07:07 AM\']Rich Jeffries is the other that seems like he's just there for the paycheck, at best.[/quote]
God, yes.  His fill-in work on Price was only marginally better than Daniel Rosen's.

Don Bishop wasn't that great, either.  I can't even remember his voice, but every time Barker tried to interact with him, he went straight to the script.  "Don, I need a winner.  Can you get me a winner this time?"  "Edward Smith, come on down!"

Neumms

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2009, 10:55:55 AM »
Gene Wood was splendid on so many things, but TPIR was not one of them. And Johnny Olson seemed out of place on "Double Dare" and "Now You See It," the more cerebral shows. Maybe it's just because there wasn't much for him to do on those.

TheLastResort

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2009, 11:50:05 AM »
Johnny Gilbert wore a 9 & 1/2 C, even though his feet were actually 10 & 1/2 E.

/Crap.  Misread the thread topic.

TimK2003

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2009, 01:12:18 PM »
•  Don Morrow on $ale of the Century
•  Charlie Tuna on Scrabble

(Jay Stewart sounded like he was having much more fun than both of them on the Reg Grundy shows -- Case in point, Charlie Tuna coming out of commercial saying, "And now, back to Scrabble with Chuck Woolery & Today's Winner"  -- sounded like a pre-recorded, generic track).

•  Charlie O'Donnell on Pyramid -- always sounded more rushed than the other 26 announcers they used.

•  John Kramer on The Newlywed Game

•  Art James on Family Feud (although he was just a fill in).

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2009, 03:01:33 PM »
[quote name=\'Thunder\' post=\'232389\' date=\'Dec 16 2009, 01:01 AM\']Strong Disagree regarding Johnny Jacobs esp. on "Treasure Hunt".[/quote]

I did like Jacobs on Treasure Hunt (especially that intro!) and BtB'76; he sounded much more animated on the latter. Otherwise, not a fan of him.

[quote name=\'davemackey\' post=\'232407\' date=\'Dec 16 2009, 09:15 AM\']While he was a great promo voice for radio, Mark Driscoll didn't work at all as a game show announcer. He did the first few weeks of Chuck Henry's "Now You See It!" in 1989 and was a train wreck. They brought in Don Morrow to clean up the mess.[/quote]

I don't think he was that bad, myself. What made you dislike him?

Just thought of another one: Harry Stevens on Finders Keepers. He was pretty bad when it came to emphasis: "Where whatcha FIND is whatcha KEEP on FINDERRrrrrs… Keepers. And now here's your host, LARryyyyyy Toffler."

[quote name=\'TheLastResort\' post=\'232412\' date=\'Dec 16 2009, 11:50 AM\']Johnny Gilbert wore a 9 & 1/2 C, even though his feet were actually 10 & 1/2 E.

/Crap.  Misread the thread topic.[/quote]

Is it any wonder why I love this board? There's always someone ready with a snappy one-liner.
Bobby Peacock

BrandonFG

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2009, 03:04:09 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'232429\' date=\'Dec 16 2009, 01:12 PM\']•  John Kramer on The Newlywed Game[/quote]
John Kramer on any of the Sony shows he announced (NG/DG/Pyramid)...I always thought he sounded completely generic.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!