Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: An Inexpensive Little Holiday Gift...  (Read 1423 times)

TimK2003

An Inexpensive Little Holiday Gift...
« on: December 14, 2009, 07:51:31 PM »
For those who like old (mostly 50's & 60's and a few 70's) commercials, and/or those who collect anything with game show hosts, head on down to your local Target.  

For $5.00, there is a 4-DVD collection called "1001 Classic Commercials" from Mill Creek Entertainment, which claims over 16 hours of old commercials, grouped by type.

So far, on Disc One alone (Food, Toys & PSAs), there are commercials featuring Peter Marshall, Jack Barry & Jack Narz (from Space Patrol).  I just watched the first 15 minutes of Disc 2 (Cigarettes & Health and Beauty Products), and I have seen "live" commercials for Bel-Air Cigarettes with Art James and Bob Barker in separate spots hawking the cancer sticks and the Raleigh coupons on every pack that you can save up for "wonderful gifts".  

Again, it's not a bad little DVD set for around $5.00.  Makes a neat little stocking stuffer.

Gsguy

« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 03:50:31 PM »
Oh sweet! I've been wanting this set and it's down $10! My store has it also.

Off to Target!

irwinsjournal.com

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 11:06:56 AM »
Thanks for the heads up on the content.  

I had picked up a set and wound up adding it to a Christmas gift for a friend figuring he'd get a kick out of it.  But once I saw your post, I went right out and bought another copy to keep.
George in Ellison Park, NY

irwinsjournal.com

Gsguy

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 10:24:09 AM »
Seen most of the first disc. Pretty cool set. Some commercials are in poor shape but the one that are not are crystal clear.

So far I've seen two game show hosts (Jack Narz for Ovaltine and Peter Marshall for Kellogg's.)