Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Forum member has a new puzzle gig in The Washington Post  (Read 1764 times)

Kniwt

Forum member has a new puzzle gig in The Washington Post
« on: January 03, 2010, 11:30:51 PM »
Surely he is too modest to mention it here, but the work of "Only Connect" question-setter David Bodycombe will now be appearing regularly in The Washington Post, in the form of the "Sudoku Monster" puzzle.

The Post describes it thusly:
Sudoku Monster mixes letters with numerals in an enlarged grid; it's a puzzle for "Sudoku die-hards," in the words of the Passion for Puzzles blog.

It appears to be a base-16 sudoku.

It's syndicated by Knight Features; today's puzzle is here.

davemackey

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 12:28:07 PM »
[quote name=\'Kniwt\' post=\'233503\' date=\'Jan 3 2010, 11:30 PM\']Surely he is too modest to mention it here, but the work of "Only Connect" question-setter David Bodycombe will now be appearing regularly in The Washington Post, in the form of the "Sudoku Monster" puzzle.

The Post describes it thusly:
Sudoku Monster mixes letters with numerals in an enlarged grid; it's a puzzle for "Sudoku die-hards," in the words of the Passion for Puzzles blog.

It appears to be a base-16 sudoku.

It's syndicated by Knight Features; today's puzzle is here.
[/quote]
United Features has had two different 16x Sudokus for some time, using the digits 1-9 and letters A-G. Not too groundbreaking there but kudos to David B.

davidbod

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 03:47:40 AM »
I'm as puzzled(!) as you. We did these back in late 2004, months before the boom. I guess my agent's terms were more agreeable than any other.
David J. Bodycombe, Labyrinth Games

Author of How To Devise A Game Show