Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: LMAD  (Read 3353 times)

Ian Wallis

LMAD
« on: April 05, 2010, 01:36:29 PM »
I wonder if some shows just don't work as well with inflation.  Seeing Monty Hall offer a contestant $500 or the box seemed to give them a hard decision.  Seeing Wayne Brady offer the same seems a no-brainer.  $500 just doesn't seem like a lot of money these days compared to back then, does it?  Most prizes in the boxes or curtains are worth several thousand and it's probably better to take the chance.

Although I'm not really in favor of the "more money" syndrome, would it work better if Wayne offered something like $3000 or the box?  Or, do you think that would just lead to many more contestants taking the cash?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 01:37:10 PM by Ian Wallis »
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Chief-O

• .....and it goes like this!!!
LMAD
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 02:07:42 PM »
Here's the thing: It's a guaranteed $500. Still a good chunk of change these days. There still may be a zonk in the box.

And yes, I do think Wayne giving out more money would lead to more contestants taking it instead of the box.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 02:07:55 PM by Chief-O »
There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people: Religion, politics, and the proper wrapping of microphone cables.

whewfan

LMAD
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 05:06:16 PM »
Monty had said in an interview that the last thing he wants if for LMAD to be a "big money" game show. With the exception of LMAD '03. LMAD has never given away more than $40,000 in cash and prizes. Perhaps the logic behind offering no more than $1500 for a box/curtain or whatever means that a contestant will be more likely to pick the box or curtain, thus more opportunities for zonks.

BrandonFG

LMAD
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 05:08:53 PM »
[quote name=\'whewfan\' post=\'238903\' date=\'Apr 5 2010, 05:06 PM\']With the exception of LMAD '03. LMAD has never given away more than $40,000 in cash and prizes.[/quote]
I wouldn't say never...there's been a handful of $40,000+ Big Deals on Brady's version. I remember seeing a Porsche Boxster, which brought it to about $46K.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
LMAD
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 09:09:38 PM »
That's another weird thing about Old vs. New -- most of the Big Deals in the current version are a single car, and the "cheapest" of the three Doors is usually worth less than $2,000 (the middle Door is worth anywhere from about $5,000-$10,000).
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 06:27:01 AM by Dan88 »
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

Inkling

LMAD
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 09:20:56 AM »
[size="2"][/size]I LOVED seeing Monty on the new show. I have tried watching Wayne Brady host the show and it just doesn't interest me at all. Monty is such a natural, and Brady seems stiff and awkward. I enjoyed Wayne Brady in other venues, but this doesn't seem to fit his personality.  He seems to do better in comedy situations. Watching Monty in the guest host position was just like watching an old friend. I often wondered if they brought Monty back to revive the show, or if he might've been there to demonstrate how things SHOULD go. In any case, with Monty Hall you get what you see. He is a classic and down to Earth guy. The person that you see on the Let's Make a Deal show IS Monty's TRUE personallity. I had the chance to do a half hour infomercial with Monty back in 1992.  I won the dial up version of Let's Make a Deal for $1000.00, and they offered me the chance to come to Hollywood and do a commercial with Monty. We spent the entire day together doing takes for the commercial and he was so charming.  I really enjoyed talking to him about the show, his wife, Jay, etc. It was so exciting, and a day that I will never forget. It was really interesting to see how everything works behind the scenes of making a commercial.  It was filmed in a gorgeous mansion in Bev Hills owned by Bob Loersch.  Just being there was worth a lot more than the $1000.00 I won phoning in to win the game, (and it only cost me $10.00 to win).  I also had the opportunity to win more money while making the commercial, but I got zonked on my chance to double my money to $2000.00.  I DID win another $100.00 on the fast cash segment of the commercial.  I still have my autographed "zonk" tennis ball and autographed pics of Monty and Loersch that I will treasure forever. Thanks, Monty!
He is an icon that I grew up watching from a very young age and still enjoy seeing on TV. I hope he continues to make guest appearances on LMAD. I'll be sure to watch them all if he does.

BrandonFG

LMAD
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 01:34:44 PM »
I remember those...there were a lot of clips from the 70s and 80s versions, so that was my first exposure to the older version, at least until the Family Channel showed reruns about a year later.

From what I remember, Monty had a mini-game, using travel soap dishes as "doors", and he also asked the "contestants" to recall some of their favorite moments, one of which was a married couple playing the cash register game...
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
LMAD
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2010, 05:45:17 PM »
[quote name=\'Inkling\' post=\'239238\' date=\'Apr 11 2010, 08:20 AM\'][size="2"][/size]I LOVED seeing Monty on the new show. I have tried watching Wayne Brady host the show and it just doesn't interest me at all. Monty is such a natural, and Brady seems stiff and awkward.[/quote]Monty had 20+ years to hone his craft.  Brady hasn't even been on the air a year.

Just saying.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

saussage

LMAD
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010, 12:22:00 AM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'239254\' date=\'Apr 11 2010, 04:45 PM\'][quote name=\'Inkling\' post=\'239238\' date=\'Apr 11 2010, 08:20 AM\'][size="2"][/size]I LOVED seeing Monty on the new show. I have tried watching Wayne Brady host the show and it just doesn't interest me at all. Monty is such a natural, and Brady seems stiff and awkward.[/quote]Monty had 20+ years to hone his craft.  Brady hasn't even been on the air a year.

Just saying.
[/quote]
I guess with Brady, you know he's a comedian and he's trying to fit into LMAD and it will take time (better than Billy Bush as far as an LMAD host fit but nobody can replace Monty Hall). With Monty, he is LMAD and although he can be funny, he's not on LMAD to be a comedian... he's down to earth making deals on the show and he knows how to deal with contestants and prizes. Will Brady feel comfy enough on the show and that we as fans accept that he is a legit and good host of LMAD? As long as the network gives LMAD a chance, I think he will and we will accept. Imo, I see LMAD getting the boot though in less than 5 years which would be a shame. Many shows don't get much of a chance to get off the ground and gain in popularity unless they're an instant ratings hit. I hope I am wrong.
Don't think too hard... you might give yourself a headache.

whewfan

LMAD
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2010, 05:33:31 AM »
I think Wayne Brady is doing MUCH better now than he was when he started. He's a LOT looser, and takes more time interacting with Jonathan and Tiffany. He and Jonathan also took Monty's advice and do more fun things with the zonks, which Monty criticized in the beginning "all they do is show the Zonk and that's it.. they need to have fun with it!"