Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AYS... companion?  (Read 2371 times)

entguy1

AYS... companion?
« on: January 20, 2010, 01:18:53 PM »
TV NewsCheck says that 20th Century Fox may be introducing a companion program to air next fall with "5th Grader," which has been renewed for a second season. Any scuttlebutt? Suggestions??

DrBear

AYS... companion?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 02:59:24 PM »
Conan O'Brien hosting "Are You Smarter Than An NBC Executive?"
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

abba

AYS... companion?
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 05:17:45 PM »
Did they announce if it would be a game show?

entguy1

AYS... companion?
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 12:14:05 PM »
And it's "Don't Forget the Lyrics," with your host Mark "Don't Call Me Sugar Ray" McGrath. Already cleared in the Top 10, according to one of the trades.

I thought the game was OK in theory, but seemed to stretch out forever. Maybe a half-hour version can liven things up.

chad1m

AYS... companion?
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 12:33:45 PM »
Here's an article confirming it, at TVNewsCheck. Also to note, the program will also run on VH1 and MyNetworkTV in the same style as 5th Grader with CMT and My last season.

BrandonFG

AYS... companion?
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 12:37:58 PM »
Well...they did change the format a bit to make "5th Grader" tolerable, so maybe they'll do the same here. It's good to see another game show, even though I was never a "Lyrics" fan. I'd love to see a syndie "Singing Bee", but it is what it is (apologies for the overused phrase-I just woke up). :-P
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

bandit_bobby

AYS... companion?
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 04:21:17 PM »
I assume the top prize will be $250,000 like syndicated "5th Grader".

inturnaround

AYS... companion?
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2010, 04:50:41 PM »
The best thing about "Lyrics" was that it had a very high play-along factor. The worst thing was how the "Coming up after the break" would take all the air out of the drama they intended to have.

Mark McGrath should be a good host for this. Look forward to it.
Joe Coughlin     
Human

Marc412

AYS... companion?
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2010, 06:12:54 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'234937\' date=\'Jan 25 2010, 12:37 PM\']Well...they did change the format a bit to make "5th Grader" tolerable, so maybe they'll do the same here. It's good to see another game show, even though I was never a "Lyrics" fan. I'd love to see a syndie "Singing Bee", but it is what it is (apologies for the overused phrase-I just woke up). :-P[/quote]
It isn't syndicated, but The Singing Bee is on CMT, and from what I understand, it's a hit.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
AYS... companion?
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2010, 12:01:59 AM »
[quote name=\'bandit_bobby\' post=\'234940\' date=\'Jan 25 2010, 01:21 PM\']I assume the top prize will be $250,000 like syndicated "5th Grader".[/quote]Of course you do.

[quote name=\'inturnaround\' post=\'234941\' date=\'Jan 25 2010, 01:50 PM\']The best thing about "Lyrics" was that it had a very high play-along factor. The worst thing was how the "Coming up after the break" would take all the air out of the drama they intended to have.[/quote] The problem that I had with Lyrics, as a function of it being interminably slow is that if you get a game per hour, you're hearing at most ten songs. Ten chances to play along. Singing Bee had many more chances to play along for the same amount of time. They had at least five songs alone in the Not-Quite Golden Medley.

Mark McGrath should be a good host for this. Look forward to it.
I absolutely believe this. I loved watching him whup ass on the Celebrity Rock & Roll Jeopardy! shows.
Travis L. Eberle