Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Steve Harvey to host "Family Feud"  (Read 8030 times)

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
Steve Harvey to host "Family Feud"
« on: January 20, 2010, 11:29:24 PM »

calliaume

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 12:29:30 AM »
Kind of surprised O'Hurley is leaving, but whatever.  Harvey seems no better or worse a choice than any of the others before him.

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 12:48:20 AM »
I enjoy Steve Harvey as a comedian. I am open to seeing him operate as a game show host. I think he will do reasonably well.
Digital Media Producer, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

urbanpreppie05

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 12:51:20 AM »
If it helps, he was pretty good as host of Showtime at the Apollo...

There was one time an opera singer just happened to sing gospel and was booed (gospel is usually not booed), and after the couple were yanked off stage, he said: "Y'all are going straight to hell."
insert signature here

CarbonCpy

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 12:56:30 AM »
Well, he does have some game show chops -- "Steve Harvey's Big Time" did have that Gong Show-esque second season.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 12:57:37 AM by CarbonCpy »

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 01:11:59 AM »
If his comedy delivery is any indication, then he'll slow down the show. That either means they'll cut corners in other parts of the show, or they might just take out Bullseye entirely to keep a decent flow going. I'm cautiously optimistic.

/him and his crazy suits
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

GameShowGuru

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2010, 01:18:38 AM »
[quote name=\'urbanpreppie05\' post=\'234691\' date=\'Jan 21 2010, 12:51 AM\']If it helps, he was pretty good as host of Showtime at the Apollo...

There was one time an opera singer just happened to sing gospel and was booed (gospel is usually not booed), and after the couple were yanked off stage, he said: "Y'all are going straight to hell."[/quote]

The interesting thing about your post is that as far as S@TA acts go, those whose singing quality is on the mediocre side usually picks a gospel song for that very reason.  You usually can tell the real gospel singers from the fakes @ the Apollo, even though like urbanpreppie said, gospel acts typically doesn't get booed, or more to the point, get the Sandman to yank them off the stage in embarassment.

Anyway, speaking of Steve Harvey, here is a clip from his "Kings of Comedy" movie just to get everyone prepped for his style:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hu3jGXCKeRU

Johnissoevil

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2010, 03:18:23 AM »
Here's my take on it...

Steve will do however Steve does.  I'm not optimistic, nor am I pessimistic.  I will wait to see him actually host the show before I pass judgement.

/Passed a bad judgement on Combs before he even started hosting because "he was not Richard Dawson"
//Turned out, he ended up being my all time favorite.
In loving memory of my father, Curtis Fenner 4/29/44-8/13/15

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2010, 04:07:27 AM »
Apparentlly. O'Hurley's leaving on his terms just like Barker did on TPIR.  Haven't seen much of Steve Harvey so I'll hold off on that untill I see him next season.

Don Howard

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2010, 05:53:51 AM »
In the article's final paragraph, they left out a host (two if you count Al Roker's all-star NBC mini-series).
I'm unfamiliar with Steve's style. Is he a screamer?
(One of the "Original Kings Of Comedy"? Really?)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 05:55:00 AM by Don Howard »

Card Shark

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2010, 06:21:41 AM »
Ok, I'll discuss. Is it just me or has the current run of Feud (1999 - ) gone through as many hosts as Spinal Tap drummers?
Adam Strom

davemackey

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2010, 06:24:39 AM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'234707\' date=\'Jan 21 2010, 05:53 AM\']In the article's final paragraph, they left out a host (two if you count Al Roker's all-star NBC mini-series).
I'm unfamiliar with Steve's style. Is he a screamer?
(One of the "Original Kings Of Comedy"? Really?)[/quote]
Yes - he, Cedric the Entertainer, D.L. Hughley and the late Bernie Mac traveled the country as such. Their act was later a Spike Lee joint.

Don Howard

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2010, 06:25:14 AM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' post=\'234714\' date=\'Jan 21 2010, 06:24 AM\'][quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'234707\' date=\'Jan 21 2010, 05:53 AM\'](One of the "Original Kings Of Comedy"? Really?)[/quote]Yes - he, Cedric the Entertainer, D.L. Hughley and the late Bernie Mac traveled the country as such.
[/quote]Okee. Dokee. Not sure what that makes Jack Benny, but that's show biz.
[quote name=\'Card Shark\' post=\'234712\' date=\'Jan 21 2010, 06:21 AM\']Ok, I'll discuss. Is it just me or has the current run of Feud (1999 - ) gone through as many hosts as Spinal Tap drummers?[/quote]Gary Wallis = Louie Anderson
Jody Linscott = Richard Karn
Mick Fleetwood = John O'Hurley
Todd Sucherman = Steve Harvey

And on harmonica:
Little Danny Schindler = Al Roker
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 06:28:50 AM by Don Howard »

colonial

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2010, 06:29:04 AM »
Harvey was one of the "Original Kings of Comedy," but he's also re-invented himself in recent years as a clean, somewhat family-friendly comic.  He's also been quite outspoken when it comes to subjects such as children treating their parents with respect, husbands treating their wives like equals, and always dressing like you're proud of yourself (IOW, no torn jeans, foul-mouthed T-shirts and the like).

O'Hurley was a great FF host, but it wasn't his main interest.  I read an interview in a golf magazine a few weeks ago where O'Hurley called FF the greatest part-time job in the world, adding that he saw his top priorities (in order) as family, golf and outside business interests.

IIRC, O'Hurley is independently wealthy thanks to his involvement in hedge fund management and other business interests, so he can pick and choose what acting work he'd like to do.  

JD

BrandonFG

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2010, 07:29:36 AM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'234707\' date=\'Jan 21 2010, 05:53 AM\']I'm unfamiliar with Steve's style. Is he a screamer?[/quote]
I wouldn't necessarily call him a screamer. I did enjoy his set in "Kings of Comedy", as well as his two 90s sitcoms. An interesting decision considering O'Hurley, but still sounds like a good decision. Like Ben noted, he did a great job with "Showtime", and kept that show moving without chewing scenery.

For Don, he's also a Cleveland native. ;-)

/That makes two Cleveland game show hosts, for those counting
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!