Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: How does one parlay a game show appearance into a hosting gig?  (Read 6058 times)

Matt Ottinger

How does one parlay a game show appearance into a hosting gig?
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2010, 03:22:27 PM »
[quote name=\'Otm Shank\' post=\'234995\' date=\'Jan 26 2010, 01:24 PM\']Bill Cullen is the dean of game shows because he picked up many short-run shows in his career. That inventory of game shows does not exist anymore, so it is an impractical career path.[/quote]
I would argue that Bill Cullen earned his reputation not because of the number of shows he hosted but in spite of that figure.  He earned his reputation for his longevity in the business, and the fact that most of his later shows were failures didn't seem to matter.  Barker has a similar reputation today, and his is on the basis of only two successful series.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2010, 04:10:02 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'235008\' date=\'Jan 26 2010, 02:48 PM\']And Anderson Cooper went from "The Mole" to the Cable News Network.[/quote]

Your example-ator is broken. Coop was a newscaster prior to The Mole (and wasn't a contestant anyway).
@lambertman

mmb5

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2010, 04:12:46 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'235008\' date=\'Jan 26 2010, 02:48 PM\']And Anderson Cooper went from "The Mole" to the Cable News Network.[/quote]
As a host, not a contestant.  He was also a newsman (TV1) well before his Mole stint.

Exceptions on NFL quarterbacks and people married to NFL quarterbacks noted.  DoorNumberFour, are you an NFL quarterback (or married to one)?  It might help.

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

gameshowcrazy

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2010, 04:25:11 PM »
Simon Cowell was a contestant on the British version of Sale of the Century...

BrandonFG

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2010, 05:04:41 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowcrazy\' post=\'235017\' date=\'Jan 26 2010, 04:25 PM\']Simon Cowell was a contestant on the British version of Sale of the Century...[/quote]
It was about a 10-year gap between that and Idol, and the latter was a result of his success as a music producer.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

mmb5

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2010, 05:10:07 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowcrazy\' post=\'235017\' date=\'Jan 26 2010, 04:25 PM\']Simon Cowell was a contestant on the British version of Sale of the Century...[/quote]

Before this turns into another Before (or After) They Were Stars, the thread is specifically for the consideration of people who were using an appearance on a game show to host a game show, or tangentially some other field of on-air talent, and whether that could actually work.  While Simon Cowell appeared on Sale of the Century, it was not for those purposes.

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

Otm Shank

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2010, 07:05:41 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'235010\' date=\'Jan 26 2010, 03:22 PM\']I would argue that Bill Cullen earned his reputation not because of the number of shows he hosted but in spite of that figure.[/quote]
Oh, I agree wholeheartedly on his reputation. I think my comment was a bit misleading. He was a master of his craft, which lead to his lengthy résumé. But, I was also trying to point out that there would not be another host like Cullen in today's television; even if someone were able to match his talent, there is not a deep enough pool of programming in the genre.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2010, 08:16:44 PM »
There's no way in the world to become a successful host just by being a contestant.  In the old days, you could become a host by being a good panelist, like Convy and Dawson.  I would suggest getting a partner like Stefan Hatos or Dan Enright and then packaging and hosting your own shows.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

BrandonFG

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2010, 08:30:19 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'235026\' date=\'Jan 26 2010, 08:16 PM\']I would suggest getting a partner like Stefan Hatos or Dan Enright and then packaging and hosting your own shows.[/quote]
CLARIFICATION: don't literally get Stefan or Dan. They're dead.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2010, 09:45:50 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'235026\' date=\'Jan 26 2010, 05:16 PM\']I would suggest getting a partner like Stefan Hatos or Dan Enright and then packaging and hosting your own shows.[/quote]And Stef couldn't even do THAT right; they gave the hosting gig for Split Second to Tom Kennedy!

And of course, twenty years later, we retroactively found out that the move was in fact the correct call...
Travis L. Eberle

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2010, 11:01:07 PM »
Casting decisions (assuming they are made by competent producers and not incompetent executives) are often based on whether a personality is "right for the part". Just look at how many career performers auditioned to replace Barker and were turned down. One, whose name I won't mention, had the format down slick having done the show in Las Vegas but the competent producer at the time felt he wasn't right for the part.
I was going to say that was Mark L. Walberg, but I remember hearing that Roger Dobkowitz (a rather competent producer) wanted him. It sounds more like you're describing Todd Newton, who arguably wasn't right for Whammy! (one of the few things I think Bob Boden did wrong was picking Newton over Tomarken).

And yes, I've had dreams of being a game show host. Have I been on a game show? No. Do I have any connections with the television industry? No. Do I live a few blocks from Platinum Television Group? Yes.

(On a side note, somebody apparently thought PTG was fake, posting a video showing that the doors right near a PTG sign lead to LA Fitness when the office is in fact inside the building, a fact the uploader didn't seem to realize.)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 07:12:35 AM by Dan88 »
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

TheGameShowGuy

« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2010, 12:58:27 AM »
I too am quite practical. People who don't understand the TV industry (even in the best times for game shows) wonder why I never "tried" to be a game show host. With no acting /performing experience, agent , head shots...not to mention a very pronounced New York speech pattern, I  know I most likely not what producers are looking for. I'm very happy to be co-hosting a local Community Access game show series I co-produce with my friend  Phil. (We are honored to have had  the Illustrious Chuck Donegan as our guest several times) as well as a summer gig (when I'm off from daytime teaching during the summer)  at a local day camp. The latter also generates programs we create for kids that we air on Brooklyn Community Access Television. [shameless plug: you can catch our BCAT show
 at noon (est)  Fridays at http://www.bricartsmedia.org/community-media/bcat-tv-network
BCAT ch 2 ]
I actually do get paid for some of the game show related work, but it's mostly a hobby- not a full time job. When the college I work for needs a game show, I'm usually the "go-to" guy. (I have gotton other gigs by word of mouth too -but again, it's more for fun that a career.)  It fulfills my game show fix. I enjoy my "day job" in education- and it's far more secure than the cut throat world of performing.

As a side: I really shocked friends when I didn't even bother auditioning for GSN's "Coast to Coast Search For A Host" several years ago. Again...I know I host well and enjoy it ,but realistically I didn't think GSN was looking for a person with just hosting skills. Did anyone ever become a host from that contest?

BrandonFG

« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2010, 01:08:07 AM »
[quote name=\'TheGameShowGuy\' post=\'235036\' date=\'Jan 27 2010, 12:58 AM\']As a side: I really shocked friends when I didn't even bother auditioning for GSN's "Coast to Coast Search For A Host" several years ago. Again...I know I host well and enjoy it ,but realistically I didn't think GSN was looking for a person with just hosting skills. Did anyone ever become a host from that contest?[/quote]
Two forum members, Jason Antoniewicz* and Adam Wurtzel.

*Apologies if I botched that. :-)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 01:08:45 AM by fostergray82 »

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2010, 01:14:31 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'235038\' date=\'Jan 27 2010, 02:08 AM\']Two forum members, Jason Antoniewicz* and Adam Wurtzel.

*Apologies if I botched that. :-)[/quote]

No you didn't. :)

That was the GSN Live contest, though. HE speaks of an older contest (my local news promoed it...wanna say 1997-2000 range) with that very name where Marc Summers and others toured malls judging potential hosts, with the idea one person would become a host on GSN from the whole deal. Seemed less formal/crowd-oriented based on what fuzzy memory I have of the news piece.

-Jason
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 01:14:55 AM by JasonA1 »
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Jay Temple

« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2010, 01:53:29 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'234968\' date=\'Jan 25 2010, 11:12 PM\']Game show hosts do not spring fully armed from the head of Zeus with their microphone in one hand and answer cards in the other.[/quote]
I just wanted to say that I love this reference—and the image.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.